Saab making a SAABARU?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Saab making a SAABARU? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Why in the world is Subaru giving Saab the WRX's powerplant and AWD to put in one of their new ...

Saab making a SAABARU?

Why in the world is Subaru giving Saab the WRX's powerplant and AWD to put in one of their new models? Not only that, they are building it in Japan. WTF? Why is Subaru doing this and how do the rest of you feel about that?
    '02 White WRX Wagon
    VF34, STi Pinks, Perrin IC Hoses, AP V2, Borla Catback, Perrin Up-pipe, Stromung Downpipe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    From what I've read GM owns controling interest in both Subaru and Saab,and they want to share more platforms among divisions.I also red that Subaru is not too happy with this situation.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

Actually, GM owns SAAB, and owns 20 or 25% share in Subaru.

Actually it looks kinda cool, and the price is the same as the WRX. I read that Subaru is NOT happy at all, but I have a feeling that Subaru has something up there sleeves for the future, and that is why they were willing to share the engine.....maybe 2.5L?
    Stock or something close to it.....

why? the same reason theres a Dogge Stealth, and Eagle Talon, and Honda Passport

I've been saying for a while that the 2005 WRX should have the engine out of the Forester XT. I hope it happens.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

Originally posted by josnroh
    From what I've read GM owns controling interest in both Subaru and Saab,and they want to share more platforms among divisions.I also red that Subaru is not too happy with this situation.
    Bingo!!

Subaru makes a kick-ass platform [engine and awd system], then GM takes it and gives it to Saab. I'm not too happy about it either, Saab will get a lot of credit that should be all Subaru's and 99% of the population will have no clue it was Subaru who made the powerplant in those cars.
    My Ride:
    99 Eclipse GS-T
    Mods: Yes
    277 hp / 285 tq.

Other Ride:
    Sonic Yellow 03 WRX Wagon

Ive also dirven an 04 STi

Friends dont let friends drive NA.

Originally posted by FUNKED1
    I've been saying for a while that the 2005 WRX should have the engine out of the Forester XT. I hope it happens.
    Isn't the Forrester XT share the same engine as the WRX now?
    My Ride:
    99 Eclipse GS-T
    277 hp / 285 tq.

Other Ride:

Originally posted by Kanchou
    why? the same reason theres a Dogge Stealth, and Eagle Talon, and Honda Passport
    That was a joint venture though. This situation is more of a buying out.
    My Ride:
    99 Eclipse GS-T
    277 hp / 285 tq.

Other Ride:

Forester and Baja share an engine with the STi in the American market, not the WRX. In other words, a 2.5L turbo. With quite a few of the STi goodies intact as well... Woohooo!

Running a little stronger than 210HP as well... Wouldn't be faster than the WRX if it was only running 210.

I've also heard rumours that the WRX platform is being considered for a next generation Z-28.

Like the Talon/Eclipse/Lancer the only real difference will be styling and warranties that each company offers. The reason I bought a Talon years ago was that it offered a 7/70 warranty and the Eclipse was a 3/36. It really paid off when the tranny went at 67K!

Have to admit that it would be kind of funny to see a Z-28 with a 4 cylinder.

Originally posted by artistgonebad
    I've also heard rumours that the WRX platform is being considered for a next generation Z-28.
    You ARE joking right???

Even if, I have to admit that I find the thought of an LS1-powered AWD car rather.... yummy! Just imagine having Lingenfelter perform his turbo package on such a car!
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

It would be very surprised to see GM build a Z-28 and not put a V-8 under the hood. Then again, look at the crap they call the Impala SS. What a disgrace to the original. Platform sharing is getting way out of control.
    '02 White WRX Wagon
    VF34, STi Pinks, Perrin IC Hoses, AP V2, Borla Catback, Perrin Up-pipe, Stromung Downpipe

Then again, look at the crap they call the Impala SS. What a disgrace to the original.
    Actually Stock for Stock the new Impala SS will be faster than the old Impala SS and there is a HUGE aftermarket for the new Impala already since it shares the 3.8L supercharged engine that the previous, and current Grand Prix GTP have. Go HERE and take a look at the 1/4 mile list.....you might be impressed?

Only thing I don't like is no RWD!!!!!! The Impala would have been much cooler with the current lighter and smaller body style, but keep RWD and a V8.....oh well Typical GM
    Stock or something close to it.....

It is true that the new Impala SS is faster than the old one, but I guess I am just a traditionalist. The new Impala has zero in common with any other Impala. Chevy must have just ran out of names and thought it would be a good sales pitch to bring back the name.
    '02 White WRX Wagon

You want an AWD LS1 powered vehicle you say? Read the following:

Holden stole the Sydney International Motor Show, which opened on October 16, with a radical new production-ready coupe destined to outshine the 350-hp (260kW) 5.7-liter LS1-powered Pontiac GTOs even before the first U.S.-bound cars ship out. The new all-wheel drive Coupe4 is the brainchild of Holden's go-faster division: Holden Special Vehicles. Power is up to 362 hp (270kW) and drive through the strengthened four-speed auto is split 38 percent front, 62 percent rear, giving the Coupe4 a launch to 100 km/h time of 6.1 seconds on sealed surfaces and an impressive 6.6 seconds on gravel. Australia's first homegrown all-wheel drive coupe runs 19-inch alloys, a wider track all round, complete with natty wheel arch extensions. A muscular body kit front and rear adds muscle tone without looking garish, and four fat chromed tailpipes complete the look-at-me image.

More at http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6557

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast