Saab making a SAABARU? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Saab making a SAABARU? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Beanboy Read my post about an AWD LS1 car? Holden has a performance coupe and now a ...

Originally posted by Beanboy
    Read my post about an AWD LS1 car? Holden has a performance coupe and now a car-based crossover vehicle with AWD and a LS1 for sale in 2004. Even has a rear torque bias...

-B
    That car is cool. Monaro/GTO with AWD! It will be on sale in Australia by 2005 - but as a limited run from HSV. In the Australian market that means around 200-400 cars. HSV does not have the capacity to supply the US market with such a car.

The GM guys that I spoke to at SEMA thought the car would never make it to the US market because the 'average' American buyer of the GTO would simply see AWD as 400lbs of extra weight.

Holden does have available a 5.7l V8 AWD wagon that was released this year - unfortunately - it only comes with a 4 sp Auto.
    The AWD drivetrain was taken from this car - called the Adventra
    check out www.holden.com.au

Cheers,

Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the car is basically a wrx wagon with a new nose. nothing to fancy. this combined with the new trailblazer-based Saab Suv (9-7x) arent going to help saabs image.
    DING DING DING we have a winner! This is exactley what is wrong with GM...after the SAAB 9-7 comes out there will be 4 SUVs based off the same platform sharing the same engine, but built at diffrent plants.....geee thats smart!

So platform sharing is not what everyone wants to see as it will kill the exclusivity of the WRX, but I still feel that Subaru wouldn't share there engine if they didn't have plans for something new. The one article I read was that the WRX and STi for the US market were going to take a diffrent path than the ones in Japan since they already qualify for Rally racing by producing the JDM versions. Plus look at the new Forrester XT and the Baja Turbo...they have 2.5L engines....probably the path for the WRX also.

just my $.02

Saab enthusiasts are already mad at GM for changes they have made to Saab (most notably ditching the hatchback look). So I guess Subaru wants to follow their lead. I don't think Subaru will give the WRX the 2.5. They don't need to. They know that if someone wants a WRX and a 2.5 bad enough, they will throw down for a STi. They had to make a extra selling point for the Forester and Baja to stay competitive in their respective markets. The WRX will sell just fine with the 2.0. Plus, it keeps Subaru purists happy because the 2.0 remains in the WRC.
    As for GM bringing an AWD Holden here as the next Camaro, keep dreaming.
    I will get off my soapbox now.
    '02 White WRX Wagon
    VF34, STi Pinks, Perrin IC Hoses, AP V2, Borla Catback, Perrin Up-pipe, Stromung Downpipe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123