Saab making a SAABARU? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Saab making a SAABARU? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; this whole thing reeks if you ask me. I am glad that Subaru is unhappy about the whole thing. It ...

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    this whole thing reeks if you ask me. I am glad that Subaru is unhappy about the whole thing. It makes me happy to see that the company is willing to remain somewhat resistant to selling out.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think it is a fine idea. Subaru isn't big enough to survive on its own.

I think Subaru is doing just fine on its own. If this whole situation doesn't bug you, you better check yourself. If Subaru is willing to give up one of its defining symbols, the WRX, that easily, all I can say is that sooner or later you will see the STi rebadged as something else.
    '02 White WRX Wagon
    VF34, STi Pinks, Perrin IC Hoses, AP V2, Borla Catback, Perrin Up-pipe, Stromung Downpipe

Subaru isn't doing fine on its own. It needs to faster at improving and expanding its model line as well as features on its vehicles.

Where is a 5 speed automatic?

The Legacy line across the board is underpowered versus the competition. How long has the 2.5L had 165HP?

Where's a larger SUV based on the Legacy?

The one new chassis variation is only doing so-so (Baja).

Subaru seems to want to go upscale, but is failing.

Competition is offering more and more AWD models, especially in the upscale side of Subaru offerings.

The introduction of the new Legacy might be a sign that Subaru finally is gaining some momentum in the right direction. The next five years will be interesting.

-B

I would be flattered if I were Subaru. A traditional company like Saab willing to use someone else's platform, and a platform from a small car company at that. Everything about the new Saab is Subaru, even the body. The only difference is the front and rear lights.

BTW GM's share in Subaru is strictly financial and so you wont see any GM cars being badged as Subaru. Subaru wouldnt compromise like that. Again, we should be flattered that a high end European car company like Saab wants a Subaru.
    02 WRX Silver, 03 Baja Yellow

its got the scoop and everything. its called the 9-2 x.
    07 STi Cobb AP2, TBE, Kartboy, RCE

I hate to say it but it looks nice.

I've always liked saabs, but the reliability in the past has been crap. Now as a rebadged Rex wagon basically, reliabilty shouldn't be a concern.

I personally think it looks pretty nice. Plus, it's just more money for Subaru since they are building the chassis/drivetrain for these (at least from what I understood). Since my dad retired from GM, that would mean I could get his GM discount on one if it is badged as a Saab.

i wonder how much they weigh, will they compete with a stock wrx or are they heavier and thus slower?
    07 STi Cobb AP2, TBE, Kartboy, RCE

I think the Saab 9-2 looks great. The fact remains I still am pissed. Saab is a high end European car maker? Their most expensive model is in the $40,000 range. I guess that makes Chevrolet a high end car maker. Who cares that Saab likes the WRX? I am sure a lot of companies like the M3, but I guarantee BMW would tell them to shove it if they came asking for their platform. I know that is a really skewed example. Subaru is no where close to BMW's size. I just think Subaru should give Saab the finger and tell them to come up with their own car. Tell them to go to Dodge and get the Neon. Opps, I mean the SRT-4.
    '02 White WRX Wagon
    VF34, STi Pinks, Perrin IC Hoses, AP V2, Borla Catback, Perrin Up-pipe, Stromung Downpipe

Hehe... GM has a 20% stake. Subaru will listen.

I think it is great. Way for Subaru to get upscale without slapping a 30K sticker on a luxury Subaru. Look how well the VDV Outbacks sold.

Might actually learn a bit about what Saab does with interiors, put it to use when a luxury version of the next Legacy reaches America in what, two years?

It will also be an option for the dash molesting types that don't like the Subaru interior and want a dash of luxury in there WRX.

-B

Have you ever been in a Saab? I think their interiors suck! The interior on the new Legacy looks a lot nicer than anything Saab has ever produced. I am just not impressed with anything Saab has ever made.
    '02 White WRX Wagon

Originally posted by jigga
    You ARE joking right???

Even if, I have to admit that I find the thought of an LS1-powered AWD car rather.... yummy! Just imagine having Lingenfelter perform his turbo package on such a car!
    uhhuh that would be cool... But on another note, GM has a good habitt of fuhkin **** up really extra good, look at the trans am, or the camaro...pathetic. two legends are dead well atleast for a while. the wrx...z-28 thing it could happen, but i doubt it gm is not smart enough, and if they got ahold of it they would fuhk it up. plus if any of u have driven a late mode f-boddy they suck, they r pretty poor on the quallity side. the saab thing is alright, although i hear it is quite a bit more expensive than the wrx. and the impalla and malibu and gtp, i believe will dump the superchargted vee-6's for 4.5 litre vee-8s or whatever is the lowest disspacement truck engine... ohh well, the more shares subaru looses to GM ther faster ur cars will die as they have a habbit of killing good cars!

Read my post about an AWD LS1 car? Holden has a performance coupe and now a car-based crossover vehicle with AWD and a LS1 for sale in 2004. Even has a rear torque bias...

Yes, I've been in many Saabs. Is the new Legacy for sale yet? No... Until the US versions arrive, I still think Saab knows how to do a better job regarding the interior. Heck, I bet the majority thinks the exterior is better on the 9-2 than the WRX!
    -B

the car is basically a wrx wagon with a new nose. nothing to fancy. this combined with the new trailblazer-based Saab Suv (9-7x) arent going to help saabs image.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast