WRX stage 2 vs heavily modded 99 eclipse turbo - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX stage 2 vs heavily modded 99 eclipse turbo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; People lie about their car's abilities all the time, half of them never even ran @ the track. Good kill ...

People lie about their car's abilities all the time, half of them never even ran @ the track. Good kill regardless.

16G w/ a 10cm2 exhaust housing? That is a rather large hot side for something that probably has a small compressor.
    Seeing that most 20G's have either a 7-8cm exhaust side.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by DJP
    The WHP on the cobb is almost the same as the TXS, which rates its stage 2 w/ pulley, chip, exhaust, and up pipe at 309hp, I have a little bit more... thus 310hp.
    I personally believe that Cobb's estimate of 285hp at the crank is more realistic. This gets into the "how much drivetrain loss is there" debate, and I don't know that there's ever been resolution...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

cobb rates at 285hp stage 2... and that is with tuning.

TXS, stage 2 maps are tuned, you are not tuned.. Thus.. i dont believe 310hp is there.

Unless you got the utec thrown in your car tuned, then i can see 310.
    2003 WRX 5spd Sedan
    ~Stage 4+ 20g~

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by 03WRX83
    cobb rates at 285hp stage 2... and that is with tuning.
    Where have you read that 285 is with tuning? I thought that it was the "out of the box" number. (I've been wrong before...)
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

dont they tune the ecu for more performance? Thought i read that they change around settings.

Then, the flash that program onto our ecu's.
    2003 WRX 5spd Sedan
    ~Stage 4+ 20g~

I Support ClubWRX
    You send them your ECU (unless you are lucky enough to live near them in Utah), and they reflash it with new fuel, boost, ignition maps. They don't "tune" it in the sense of putting your car on the dyno and optimizing for YOUR car.

Now, I know that Cobb can do this for you if you bring your car to them, but I was always of the impression that the 285hp number is what you could expect from sending in your ECU for the reflash. I've never seen anything that contradicts that. Just my .02...
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

yeah your right, what im trying to say is, our ecus are programed differently than stock. Thus giving use more power, safely. I dont see how a stock ecu, with a mbc and the mods mentioned can make more power than a car with a ecu that is programed for more performance...

If that would be true, then everyone would be doing that and saying the heck with the eng. mang.

I could be wrong...
    2003 WRX 5spd Sedan
    ~Stage 4+ 20g~

DJP
    turboxs site:

Stage 2 Max Wheel HP: 227.8 hp @ 5593 rpm @ 15.1 psi
    TurboXS stage 2 kit: (approx 309 HP vs 263 HP exhaust only):
    Stage 2 - res removal, uppipe, TBE, pulleys and chip

COBB:
    stage 2 224.4hp@ 5500rpm @ 15.8 psi
    stage 2: TBE, chip

AHem, so the issue between these two numbers is that they where achieved on different dynos on different cars ... SO you could argue this or just skip to the end, that these numbers are gonna vary, along with drivetrain loss %s, nobody will come up with the same answers, and I believe that Cobb is more inclined to take the safe road and thats why i went with them.

Since my mods are more than that on the Cobb stage 2, my car is going to produce more power and its a hair more than the the Turboxs Stage 2, so if the TurboXS stage 2 is advertised at 309hp, I'm going to advertise 310hp as well as my CObb tuning is running 15.8psi as compared to the 15.1 psi of the TurboXS. ANd when at WOT, I get just a hair under 16 psi. SO, I would have to say that if someone wants to give me hell for stating 310hp, then please send the same complaint to Turboxs about their Stage 2 numbers and that email is: info@turboxs.com

Thank you for watching, we now return you to your regularly scheduled program ....
    the AXIS is coming ....

DJP
    man if you run an MBC instead of Engine management, you're simply raising the boost level and the ECU is set with stock targets and the introduction of more boost without new targets is just not safe, i mean, i wouldnt do that to my car. Engine management is to cuisine as MBCs are to Mcdonalds ... get the picture? I was told by a tuner that when ppl bought new rexs and ordered an MBC, they would ask them when they wanted to schedule a rebuild of their motors ... he said ppl where messing up their cars with MBCs because they turned them up too high ... a friend of my buddy had a used eclipse that he bought modded, well he thought he'd turn up the MBC to 26psi, up from the set 13psi ... well 2 weeks later his car blew an oil line and as he pulled into my budy's house it went up in fire, his whole car, 2 months of owning it, it took 2 weeks to destroy it. Thats just my point of view, I would think a MBC is good used within safe limits, but most things are that way.

i hope this helps.
    the AXIS is coming ....

TXS stage2 uses Utec...more tuning ablity

you use mbc.. just tunning boost...

so end of story now.

i didn't want start a problem, just didn't see 310 hp.
    2003 WRX 5spd Sedan
    ~Stage 4+ 20g~

don't underestimate what an UP, turbo back and a carefully tuned mbc can do. there is NO closed loop boost control system out there that spools as fast as a ball/spring mbc.

i've heard of folks going from such a setup to a cobb st. 2 and acutally went _slower_ in the 1/4.

sure, the reflash is a hell of a lot more idiot proof... if that's what is meant by "safer" then sure. but if you're mindful of what you're doing (ie no 26psi bull****) then you can put on tens of thousands of miles with an mbc setup like that (up, turbo back, 16.5 psi). i'm already at 10k with no problems.

jm2c
    ken

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by ride5000
    i've heard of folks going from such a setup to a cobb st. 2 and acutally went _slower_ in the 1/4.
    Which makes me wonder how long their car would last as a real world commuter. (when it had the MBC)

I understand your point, and the price for an MBC is certainly right. But at the end of the day I need a daily driver that will last me for some pretty high mileage. I can't be worried on a daily basis about partial throttle high boost. This is one of the things that makes a reflash "safe". Also: 1)no need to adjust with weather changes 2)an engine that runs smoother than stock.

I'm not trying to argue with you; an MBC just isn't the right answer for everyone...
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

DJP
    i dont have an MBC.

I feel that tuning is something left to Tuners, I dont have a dyno and I dont have the time to do more than what I can

But if we all chip in I'm sure we could buy a community dyno!

We'll just share it, you get for a week, i get it for a week, so on.
    the AXIS is coming ....

wait, so your telling me you got a cobb stage 2 running 16.5psi... how?

most ive seen is 15.5.. only diff. mods that i dont hae that u do is the pully and the ic hoses.

now you tell me how u get 16.5 psi, cause i want it.
    2003 WRX 5spd Sedan
    ~Stage 4+ 20g~

I Support ClubWRX
    My gauge says I'm right on 16psi, running Cobb stage 2. I might have gotten a slightly higher reading right after I installed the reflashed ECU, but after learning, I get 16 almost dead nuts, every time.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast