Is Volkswagen GTI 1.8T any good for performance?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is Volkswagen GTI 1.8T any good for performance? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just wondering how well does volkswagen do against other cars, lets say wrx, rsx, spec-v etc. Just wondering because I ...

Is Volkswagen GTI 1.8T any good for performance?

Just wondering how well does volkswagen do against other cars, lets say wrx, rsx, spec-v etc. Just wondering because I just found out that it was turbo lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Is Volkswagen GTI 1.8T any good for performance?

Originally posted by Eagle
    Just wondering how well does volkswagen do against other cars, lets say wrx, rsx, spec-v etc. Just wondering because I just found out that it was turbo lol.
    1.8t will def keep up with a WRX with some mods. There is a 1.8t around here running low 12s. A lot of them go with the APR stage III upgrade. To a K04 turbo.

Do you know any site where I can see an accurate review of the gti 1.8?

Anyone else like to comment?

gti.

Its a german jelly bean....
    03 wrb WRX sedan
    Crawford Performance S2 2.5L Block
    --- Tuned by I-SPEED

Tons of other toys.....

Re: gti.

Originally posted by Blue Away
    Its a german jelly bean....
    Jelly bean on crack!
    Drifting away...

Does that mean its bad??

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar

Thumbs up

The VW 1.8T is in my opinion one of the most highly tunable turbo 4's on the market, if not #1. For the $ you put in it you get twice the performance as an EJ20...my friend is running a $600 APR chip and can take me from a roll! In fact, I wouldn't mind one under the hood of my rex! I wonder how its 2.0T replacement next year will do......
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning

APR

salvagedwrx
    Go take a look to Club18t.com
    The forum for all 1.8T. It seems like it is as mobbed friendly as our
    WRX.

I have owned two 1.8ts (Jetta and a Passat). Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.

You can also check out www.vwvortex.com and www.20vturbo.com

The VW 1.8t is easily modded. Most people don't go much farther than just a chip because they really respond well with just the chip. IMHO the APR chip is the best and has some great features, like mulitple maps that are selectable while driving, CEL code clearing etc.

The initial $500-600 will give you huge gains (chip). After that it gets more expensive. The bigger turbo kits will set you back $4000+ (not including any labor) and you really should get an LSD with that kind of power.

If VW would give us an AWD 1.8t GTi they would sell tons of them. I think it would be a perfect compliment to the upcoming R32....it probably would outsell the R32 easily.

Stock the handling is not all that great. The 337/20th Anniversary and R32 handle very nice out of the box.

I had the eibach pro-kit springs and dampers on my Jetta and it was a PERFECT combination of ride control and comfort.
    Last edited by VA_WRX; 11-28-2003 at 11:28 AM.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

Re: Is Volkswagen GTI 1.8T any good for performance?

Originally posted by Eagle
    the 1.8t is a great car, and one of the most modable turbo 4 cylinders around. life a few others have been saying, a chip does amazing things for this car, and if you throw on some other parts like intake, exhaust, and moost controller you can easily see 13's. thats not bad at all considering its only a low 15sec car out of factory.

for example there is an aquaintance of mine around here with an 02 GTi 1.8T manual trans. with intake and exhaust he ran 14.7 then he did clutch, sts, and chip and he was able to pull off a 14.2 now he has MBC and light weight rims. we are expecting 13.6-13.9 from him.

i am considering this for my next car. the newer ones with rims and a drop look really tight, and they are super modable. i just wish it had all-wheel drive. this is the only thing keeping me from getting one, its between that and a wrx

There are about four running around where I live(all the same color too) and one is running 12's with the stock turbo and the other is quick as well, just not 12's yet....
    Jesus exists...he plays for the Red Sox's

From what ive experienced the 1.8's arent that fast. Theres a guy in my neighborhood that trys to race everyone...the one time he stepped to me I layed him out. He tried revvin on me and i didnt do anything but when he cut me off it was all over for him. He lined up next to me and I downed to 2nd at about 2500 rpm, when he stomped on it I did also. He got an initial jump cause he was probably at a higher rpm but as soon as I hit boost i walked him easy. I tried to give him a thumbs up but he didnt respond. We were side by side for a while and I kept trying to ask him what he had and he finally responded when we hit a light. He told me chip, intake, exhaust, blow off, and mbc. All I have is a turboback with an uppipe. Ive seen him around but he doesnt try to race me anymore. He tried running my friends 92 supra a couple weeks back and from what ive heard he doesnt race much anymore...he hurt his ego. BTW, my friend with the supra has a jdm J1 motor (same as the fast&furious one) and yeah....that car spanked me twice as bad as an e46..its toooo fast.

I've definitely done some heavy research on this, and the answer is yes, the VW 1.8t performs well, but it is WICKED expensive to make one truly fast.

The 1.8t's strong points:
    1) The engine's internals are good for up to 350+ whp
    2) As someone mentioned, a $600 chip will give you a good bang for the buck

The 1.8t's weak points:
    1) This is really more due to chassis and drivetrain, but because the 1.8t is such a torque monster, these guys have HORRIBLE 60' times at the strip. Even the guys with $900 LSDs have trouble breaking 2.0 seconds in some cases.
    2) With the exception of a chip, as VA_WRX mentioned, the upgrades can get REALLY expensive. APR's Stage 3 turbo upgrade, which is considered to be one of the best, if not the best on the market, will get you about 260whp, but COSTS $4500! And that does not include the required turboback exhaust OR an upgraded intercooler to replace the small factory side-mount unit. APR has made a 12.6 sec. pass with this kit, but I have NEVER heard of anyone else breaking out of 13.0 sec. territory without help from laughing gas.

So basically, yeah, the 1.8t is a great engine, but to make lots of power with one, you need to have some serious $$$. Also, VW's FWD platform makes it difficult to go fast in the 1/4 with one of these cars. Yes, the Audi A4s have AWD and the same engine, but their cars are a couple hundred pounds heavier than their VW counterparts. It's too bad, really. I used to want a VW 1.8t, but because of the weaknesses listed above, I got a WRX instead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.