Lt1 w/ I/H/E 13.20 - possible?

This is a discussion on Lt1 w/ I/H/E 13.20 - possible? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The title says it all. The car was a convertable transam. Does that sound resonable, cause thats what some kid ...

Lt1 w/ I/H/E 13.20 - possible?

The title says it all. The car was a convertable transam. Does that sound resonable, cause thats what some kid was claiming last night when i was out.

Ive beaten all sorts of **** w/LT1s and this kid def didnt have a cam so I thought that time sounded fishy.
    I created my avatar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It is all in the heads. It depends what heads and how the cam is matched. Those dang swirl and tumble motors are so dependent on airflow. I have two 350 chevys in my garage. From the outside there is no real difference. Both have small carbs, cast manifolds, steel blocks, no juice or forced indiction. One makes 780 horsepower and one makes 385. One will run 8's in the quarter and the other is a truck engine. A simple head and cam change can almost double the horsepower of the car. The average heads will not, but anything is possible.
    But just in case he is a talker- check the time slip.

13.20's is reasonable with bolt ons. I have a friend here with a 96 Z28 with the same mods and he runs 12.9's
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    I doubt it, but its definitely highly possible...
    2003 SRT-4

yes it is possible. is it auto or manual? an auto, conv. T/A is good for low to mid 14's with an lt1 and with a manual trans, low 14's. headers can do a lot of the car, and exhaust can open it up hp too. so yes it is possible, but in most cases people wont see those #'s unless its a manual and driven well. auto conv lt1 is a dog. even my buddies auto, conv. LS1 trans was only good for low 14's

Have your buddy call Neal Chance Racing Converters. Marty is the owner and brains behind them. A proper converter with optimum torque multiplication can make those things fly. (The factory converter is a bit of a dog.) Also a great way to pick up MPG.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Wannabe
    It is all in the heads. It depends what heads and how the cam is matched. Those dang swirl and tumble motors are so dependent on airflow. I have two 350 chevys in my garage. From the outside there is no real difference. Both have small carbs, cast manifolds, steel blocks, no juice or forced indiction. One makes 780 horsepower and one makes 385. One will run 8's in the quarter and the other is a truck engine. A simple head and cam change can almost double the horsepower of the car. The average heads will not, but anything is possible.
    But just in case he is a talker- check the time slip.
    He is exactly right. The heads on V8 motors are the brain of the motor, SERIOUSLY! And also chosing the right cam with the right amount of lift is also very important to make max power, just like wannabe says.

I had a friend in high school who built a 327cui motor. The motor was just a normal 327, nothing special. But he went with fully ported and polished Twisted Flow or something like that heads. He also chose a very lumpy cam. At idle the thing sounded just mean. He mated the motor to a S-10 pickup. The S-10 looked like crap. It had several different body panels of different colored S-10's. He used to street race all the time back in the early 90's. And had time slips in the 10's in the 1/4mile to prove that that thing was fast.

So the moral of the story is. If he has at least porting done and a cam, he could be that fast or faster.

Sorry, I meant Headers, as in exhaust. But it was an aftermarket auto trans, so he prob wasnt lying.

...Ill just get my friends el camino out to dust him.
    I created my avatar.

Some C4 Vette owners have run 13 flat, stock. Go to www.corvetteforum.com and do a search, or just ask around in the C4 forum. I used to own an LT1 Vette; they're not to be underestimated.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

If it's an aftermarket Auto trans, that means it most likley has a higher stall tourque convertor stock they have a 1600 stall, and he most likley has diffrent gears in the rear....stock most Autos come with 2.73 or 3.08(IIRC?) and he most liklley went with 3.42 or 3.73 gears. My freind has a 1997 Firebird Formula, and he runs consistent 14.3s dead stock, and he even has the 2.73 gears! He just bought SLP Headers, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, SLP CAI, a Yank 3000 stall TC, and 3.73 gears...should be interesting to see what he can run...probably low 13s
    Stock or something close to it.....

I had a 95 1le Formula/Firehawk. It was the 315HP version. The car ran 13.40's all day long. The options on the car were slp headers,y-pipe, catback and the ram air kit. I had the heads ported and polished and the car ran 12.70. The porting of the heads to LT4 specs made a huge jump in HP. From slp the car dynoed 286 rwhp and with the ported heads the RWHP jumped to 330. You can have the meads ported to LT4 specs and get the lt4 cams and practically have a LT4. The LT4 enginee made big power and was sed on the last C4 model and Aniversity Camaro.
    Last edited by Drod; 11-29-2003 at 04:01 PM.

Re: Lt1 w/ I/H/E 13.20 - possible?

Originally posted by CKxx
    The title says it all. The car was a convertable transam. Does that sound resonable, cause thats what some kid was claiming last night when i was out.

Ive beaten all sorts of **** w/LT1s and this kid def didnt have a cam so I thought that time sounded fishy.
    opening up the exhaust on lt1's does wonders. also adding a cam in there doesn't hurt either

full exhaust (long-tube headers, y-pipe, cutout) gave me 30 plus rwhp.
    1997 z28 a4
    Cam, stall, long tubes etc...

Heads in two weeks