My WRX Wagon vs. Winter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My WRX Wagon vs. Winter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so i got to work this morning and the flakes were starting to fly.....i prayed all day that it would ...

My WRX Wagon vs. Winter

so i got to work this morning and the flakes were starting to fly.....i prayed all day that it would start to stick to the roads, and for me being a godless heathen, someone was listening....

I was itching all day to find an excuse to go out and play in the snow before the end of the work day.....and at about 4pm my wishes came true.

All i gotta say is this car DOMINATES the snow. I used to have a Ranger 4x4 and i thought that was pretty good in the white stuff, but my WRX, complete with the snow-unworthy RE92's blew it away.

BRING ON THE SNOW OLD MAN WINTER!!!!! I WILL SEIZE YOUR WHITE FURY BY THE BALLS, AND LAUGH IN YOUR FACE!!!! HAHAHAAAAA!
    '04 WRB Wagon
    K&N Panel Filter, Snorkusectomy
    Still to Come: many many things (waiting for the post-graduation cashflow to start) EDIT: Still Waiting for the money to start coming in......

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    what is this "snow" of which you speak? Thought that only fell in the mountains?
    2003 SRT-4

I never heard of beach either.
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

Mother Nature just teased me like a dirty s1ut with the white stuff today. Lots in the air, none to play in

Can't wait till we get some accumulation here.

Let it snow ~ (infinity)

I have a feeling the WRX will be more fun than my other 4WD rides from the past;

F1504x4
    Jeep Cherokee
    96 Explorer
    92 Explorer
    74 CJ5
    Last edited by postban; 11-25-2003 at 08:04 AM.
    02 WRX Wagon Silver SOLD
    03 Cobra Satin Silver, twin screwed, cammed, ported, nasty

yeah, i heard you downriver kids only got a dusting.....too bad......

I'm trying to get myself a job down in your neck of the woods, over in Taylor'tucky, we'll see how that goes.....
    '04 WRB Wagon
    Still to Come: many many things (waiting for the post-graduation cashflow to start) EDIT: Still Waiting for the money to start coming in......

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    As far as stopping is concerned in the snow...all i know is you just have to brake waaaaaaaaaaay early. Other than this strategy are there any other tips for all of you snow drivers out there?
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

i wish it would snow down here
    2002 Subaru Impreza Wrx Sedan

have you guys ever been drifting, wipping ****ty's...etc on snow and you smelled rubber? I think i might have wore through the snow and it was my tires were spining on tar. I had too much weight i think and i wasn't sliding nearly as much as i usually do.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

Originally posted by tacomaboy138
    As far as stopping is concerned in the snow...all i know is you just have to brake waaaaaaaaaaay early. Other than this strategy are there any other tips for all of you snow drivers out there?
    You might seriously consider installing a switch to disconnect the ABS for days with very slippery conditions. I see a lot of gloriously nasty weather up here in the winter, and I would gladly trade some directional input for shorter stopping distance. Besides, you can easily get this car to change direction with some judicious handbrake and throttle use. I find it really good to have the option.
    A lot of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more more is...

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    so, so far the only techniques for braking effectively in snow are to anticipate waaaaaaay in advance when you need to stop, drive extremely slow, or disconnect the ABS?

Are there any more techniques that would make braking more effective with the ABS connected?
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

Why the heck would you want to to turn off ABS? If you wanna play in the snow, do so with handbrake and throttle. Speaking of ABS, i got to re-learn how to deal with it in the snow the other day. I used to have it on my Ranger, then my Jetta didn't have it(so i had to refresh myself on what to do without it), now i've got it again.

One more thng, did i just end up being quoted in zapman's signature? rock.
    '04 WRB Wagon

My kind of winter fun:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails winter wonderland 3.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

I'm a Buffalo, NY naitive, and can't wait to go back there for Christmas this year with the WRX!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails winter wonderland 1.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Good ideas for Winter Driving:

1. Downshifting when slowing for a stoplight - 2 reasons: Gets your car to slow down without locking the wheels, the obvious problem with ABS. And it allows your engine and drivetrain to be in a healthy RPM range in case you need to move out of the way of someone coming at you from behind or from the side.

2. Remember that AWD traction only helps when you are accelerating, not when you are braking. The WRX weighs much more than a normal 4cyl sedan because of the extra AWD drivetrain, and that can cause one to think they are invincible on snow because of AWD. Stopping power is equal with every other car on the road when you simply use brakes.

My 2 cents...

2002 WRX Mods:

Originally posted by tubbytreats
    Good ideas for Winter Driving:

1. Downshifting when slowing for a stoplight - 2 reasons: Gets your car to slow down without locking the wheels, the obvious problem with ABS. And it allows your engine and drivetrain to be in a healthy RPM range in case you need to move out of the way of someone coming at you from behind or from the side.

2. Remember that AWD traction only helps when you are accelerating, not when you are braking. The WRX weighs much more than a normal 4cyl sedan because of the extra AWD drivetrain, and that can cause one to think they are invincible on snow because of AWD. Stopping power is equal with every other car on the road when you simply use brakes.

My 2 cents...
    I agree with what your saying, but doesn't downshifting when slowing down for a stoplight risk a chance of breaking your car loose due to the increase in torque to the wheels?

And yeah i quoted you kzooWRX, that comment it awesome.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast