WRX is fast, but can't compete =( - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX is fast, but can't compete =( within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by WRXrumble Plan is: MBC ........................... Got it. Uppie .......................... Got it. Intercooler hose ........... next. Knift edge ...

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by WRXrumble

Plan is:

MBC ........................... Got it.
    Uppie .......................... Got it.
    Intercooler hose ........... next.
    Knift edge turbo inlet/outlet.... Next.
    Clean up the intercooler inlet and outlet ..... next.
    Cat back that is quiet .... next.
    Unichip tuned for the above mod....... final engine mod.

I wonder if I will get 280 hp out of the above setup ?
    not 280 at the wheels, but definetly some major improvements. im curious, what do you mean by
    Clean up the intercooler inlet and outlet
    ? is this a DIY sortof thing?
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Penguinking
    are supras track cars? almost all the supras i see go drag racing or are just straight line racers, but how many of them go out on the race track? i think if it were supra vs. wrx on the race track, it would be pretty close
    Supra's are great track cars. I know this from experience. I took mine to thunderhill raceway, and there wasn't anyone there that could hang with me, or my friend Jason who brought his Supra there too. Alot of it is driver though. The instructor told us that we should have been racing in group C, then we would have had some competition. I did notice that the WRX's held up really well in the low speed turns. There was one person there who was able to keep with me in the low speed turns, and he had stock tires. We had a couple of Vette's, a 993 Turbo, and a Ferrari racing in our class with us also.
    02 WRX Platinum Silver sedan
    No mods yet...

Originally posted by ellisnc

I hope you basically have enough money to buy whatever you want for the WRX because Supras are at least as expensive and even more so to get to the power levels you're talking about.

I mean we're talking 20k or so to get 6-700 hp w/ single turbo, chassis mods, tuning to support it.
    Not quite... try 5K for the turbo kit, another 3k for a front mount intercooler, and fuel. Then $1200 for a set of Tiens.
    02 WRX Platinum Silver sedan
    No mods yet...

Originally posted by dipalda

Not quite... try 5K for the turbo kit, another 3k for a front mount intercooler, and fuel. Then $1200 for a set of Tiens.
    absolutely. and a mere 1200$ investment jumps you from stock 320hp to 460hp on the supra. A wrx will never be a supra and vice versa.

But, if you want true bang for your buck, a used stock supra for mid 20K$ range + 5K in mods will eat just about any stock automobile available today at any price.

I just dont comapre the cars in any sense because they are so radically different in design/intent/purpose. My last car was a z06 vette/M3/porsche turbo killer and I honestly have twice the fun with my wrx and 10 times the practicality...I wouldnt trade it for a supra, thats for sure.

Btw, there are a couple of Supras that do rally in Pro Scca.

Apple to oranges again. A new supra TT was close to 50 grand when new. Even the older ones now are still 25-30k.
    Besides, most of the supra TT's have been abused. I don't think I know one person that has a stock Supra.
    They are amazing performers tho. Like the cars in the mid 90's era, 3000GT, RX-7 and 300TT. They are all capable of such performance with little money. But supra was the only one that is reliable enough to hold down higher boost. While others will just break after some modifications. I guess that is why they are so popular. A lot of them are running 11's in stock engine internals.
    For the price of a supra TT, I would rather get a brand new wrx. Most of the older Supras are close to 100k miles already. While the newer ones with low mileage are still 35-40k.

not 280 at the wheels, but definetly some major improvements. im curious, what do you mean by ? is this a DIY sortof thing?
    I wasn't looking at 280 whp, that's crank hp. I am planning to bore out the input and output ports on the OEM IC. I think you will find that they did the same on a Supra rebuild a few issue back in SCC.
    It might not add hp but if it helps the flow then it is good for performance.
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

When my WRX arrives, I'll make some "fun" videos of me versus some of my Viper friends, and a lot of videos of me vs. my brother's 850hp HKS Supra.

I know what's gonna happen on each and every race - but hey, all in good fun.

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by WRXrumble

I wasn't looking at 280 whp, that's crank hp. I am planning to bore out the input and output ports on the OEM IC. I think you will find that they did the same on a Supra rebuild a few issue back in SCC.
    It might not add hp but if it helps the flow then it is good for performance.
    cool idea! let us know how the mod goes, sounds like it should help (if any), rather than hurt
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

cool idea! let us know how the mod goes, sounds like it should help (if any), rather than hurt
    Old school tricks we use on Integra/civic mods. Just clean up the edge and any freaking casting ridge inside the casting. Every little things help besides it is free mod. Most domestic hot rod go thru this mod. The best is extruhone for them V8, opens up the intake big time. But for us, nothing beats a big a** turbo upgrade

The main reason supras are the king of the streets is because the 2jz motor is bullet proof and will last over 100,000 miles easily. You can spend about $12,000 on a supra and make it 600+hp and daily driveable. I know because I looked into buying a modded supra or doing it myself. For $500, you can give a stock supra 420+hp from just an ebc.

Originally posted by Rex N Effect
    The main reason supras are the king of the streets is because the 2jz motor is bullet proof and will last over 100,000 miles easily. You can spend about $12,000 on a supra and make it 600+hp and daily driveable. I know because I looked into buying a modded supra or doing it myself. For $500, you can give a stock supra 420+hp from just an ebc.
    That is one of the reasons they (Supra TT, RX7, 3000GT, 300ZX T , MR2 turbo) all disappeared from the US market. 2 expensive new for the 20 + crowd, insurance went off the roof

mos
    yea, the fact the RSX type S runs 11:1 comp means that they will need new pistions,rods, ect.. to run more boost. they are making that power cuz they got high comp. after they have to lower it to run higher boost the gains will not be as inpressive...i know of 2 dodge averger 2.0L running 10.5:1 comp and 15 PSI of boost and run on 92 pump gas, only because our heads (2.0L SOHC and 2.4L DOHC) were designed very well, and resist detanation. (i own a plymouth breeze 2.4L)
    Last edited by mos; 05-16-2002 at 08:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.