WRX vs VW GTI
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX vs VW GTI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was driving down a nice 4 lane road in my neighborhood this morning and I see this red 97 ...

WRX vs VW GTI

I was driving down a nice 4 lane road in my neighborhood this morning and I see this red 97 or 98 VW GTI vr6 in my rearview. He was driving pretty fast and caught up with me at the light. I took off at a good clip and he was stuck to my rear. Well we met up at the next light side by side and new he wanted to go. So when it turned green I got out to a car length right out of the gate, but I couldn't pull on him much more than about 2-3 car lengths by about 70mph or so. We got caught up at the next light and he gave me a wave, so he seemed like a cool guy and not some punk. He had an exhaust and a sticker below his decal of some tuning shop, so I knew he wasn't stock. But I used to own a 2000 GTI VR6 and that car would not have even had a chance against a WRX. I know you can supercharge them, but most other mods don't do a whole lot. It was a good race and I got a kill, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much. Makes me want a turbo upgrade....:-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: WRX vs VW GTI

Originally posted by stayfido
    I was driving down a nice 4 lane road in my neighborhood this morning and I see this red 97 or 98 VW GTI vr6 in my rearview. He was driving pretty fast and caught up with me at the light. I took off at a good clip and he was stuck to my rear. Well we met up at the next light side by side and new he wanted to go. So when it turned green I got out to a car length right out of the gate, but I couldn't pull on him much more than about 2-3 car lengths by about 70mph or so. We got caught up at the next light and he gave me a wave, so he seemed like a cool guy and not some punk. He had an exhaust and a sticker below his decal of some tuning shop, so I knew he wasn't stock. But I used to own a 2000 GTI VR6 and that car would not have even had a chance against a WRX. I know you can supercharge them, but most other mods don't do a whole lot. It was a good race and I got a kill, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much. Makes me want a turbo upgrade....:-)
    your right, without forced induction, the vr6 isnt too much compared to the wrx without heavy work.(i/e/h/chip is usually good for mid 14's. but the 1.8T is a differnt story. with bolt on's, ecu, and boost controller they are known to be 13 sec. cars, just goes to show what a turbo can do for you car when it comes down to it. but mod for mod, they are no comp for the wrx

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    cool, wonder what all he had
    2003 SRT-4

I've gone up against a new GTI with the cool lookin headlights, I think they are 04's. He was shifting pretty hard and seemed to be pretty bent out of shape having to drive behind me. I am chipped/uppipe/dbc, I dont think he had much more than just window tint. This was from a rolling start, I was impressed with his car when we both walked a boxter s.
    RANGER on point
    2007 Protuned STi, 316awhp.

Yeah those 1.8's can end up being pretty fast cars. I know of a few guys from my VW days with 13 sec gti's. I liked the car I had, but doesn't handle nearly as well as my wrx and seemed to always have little problems with it (i.e. window regulator, squeaks and groans, cels, etc etc). When I drove a wrx when I had my vr6 it was like "finally I am in a sprts car!!" Just my opinon.
    Hey, I have to say good kill to the boxster s, they are pretty quick themselves!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.