STi vs. C5 Vette
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi vs. C5 Vette within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This encounter started when I was driving N. on I-110 in West Florida. I passed the aforementioned C5 at normal ...

STi vs. C5 Vette

This encounter started when I was driving N. on I-110 in West Florida. I passed the aforementioned C5 at normal highway speeds and he decided to get a little cocky(2guys my age 23-25).

He passed me in traffic and we both ended up exiting on the same ramp onto another highway I-10 eastbound. Which would be followed immediately by an exit off of I-10 onto a city surface street. So to explain better when you exitied I-110 N you would have to stay in the very right lane(exit lane) to exit off of I-10east onto the surface road.

I was behind him and we were both doing about 40-45(I was in 3rd gear) as soon as the ramp opened up into 3lanes of I-10 eastbound I got on it(as did he). My intentions were to pass and get infront of him to exit onto the surface street, and his intentions were to not let me.

From 3rd at 40-45 to about 110mph I was happily pulling away from him and easily able to take possition in front. I had about a 1.5 car length lead from about a 1/2 length disadvantage at the start.

What is more satisfying, (I am a flight student here) and so were they. Most of the flight students get 350Z's or slightly used Vettes and really have the whole Tom Cruize syndrome. I took extra pleasure in beating his $40k top-gun mobile and stomping on a couple "hot sh#t" attitudes as well
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Greddy: EGT, Boost, Oil Press Gauges
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    hmm...that surprises me. Ive raced 3 c5 vettes from rolls, and only put about 2 lengths on each one, with me going WOT the whole way. On the other hand, the one STi I ran into and actually played with, I had to keep letting off the gas to keep from rear ending him (he was in the fast lane and kept taking off with me behind him tailing him) How much did you gain from your mods?
    2003 SRT-4

catback doesn't add much, bov doesn't add anything, so probably not much

I doubt I really gain anything except from the cat-back. Dyno'd at 9-10hp on a WRX less probably on an STi.

I did get a slight jump on him, but then again I was coming from .5 car-lengths back.

My best run at the track is a 13.21 @ 103 full tank of 93, no spare or jack
    backed up with a 13.27 and a couple 13.3's on different days.
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

Originally posted by LukeWRX
    I doubt I really gain anything except from the cat-back. Dyno'd at 9-10hp on a WRX less probably on an STi.

I did get a slight jump on him, but then again I was coming from .5 car-lengths back.

My best run at the track is a 13.21 @ 103 full tank of 93, no spare or jack
    backed up with a 13.27 and a couple 13.3's on different days.
    trust me, you're not pulling on any c5s with 103mph traps. If you had raced this guy from a dead stop, it might have been close, but on the freeway, he should have taken you.
    2003 SRT-4

If you were behind him and built some momentum before he started accelrating I can guy this story. I've had it happen to me before, and ironiicaly it was against a friends vette. Sometimes he would be about a half car length behind me and floor it. I got caught sleeping and didnt floor it until he was a half car in front of me. He slowly walked me until 4th gear where I'd reel him back in.

Maybe this was the case, only in reverese?
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

trust me, you're not pulling on any c5s with 103mph traps. If you had raced this guy from a dead stop, it might have been close, but on the freeway, he should have taken you.
    See thats the thing. I did pull on a C5, I know because it happened. LOL now please dont get upset I am not trying to act juvenile here.

I am not saying "C5's suck, STi's own all C5's" hehe, I posted primarily because I was surprised at the outcome. I must remind readers of my initial post that in no way are "kills" a broad brush statment of automobile vs. automobile. In reality there are many factors contributing NUMBER 1 being driver.

SilverScooby, I believe that to be part of the case here. I said I got a jump on him, by the time I had closed on him(his rear bumper and my front) is when I saw him get on it. So momentum was working for me. However I continued to pull away to the sum of a 1 1/2 car length lead on the high end of 4th, I then pulled in front and we had to brake to exit.

The reason why I take some enjoyment in it. Is because of the OBVIOUS "hot sh#t" attitude exhibited by the two occupants of the C5. Until of course his driving abilities, and subsequently his Corvette were embedded in a pile of steamy dookie. Poor car it deserved such a better driver.
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

Don't let the doughter bother you. I've beaten 5 different LS1s on the street from a roll in my STi. I beat a C5 Vette exactly the way you did. We went from about 35mph - 100mph and I had him by 1+ cars.
    About 3 weeks ago , I beat an LS1 Trans Am from a 1st gear roll all the way to 130mph.

The last LS1 I raced (a white LS1 Z28) was my closet race so far. We both nailed it going about 45mph and we ran basically dead even up to 90mph. We both had to let off because of an up coming light. He then refused to line up next to me. He got behind me at the light even though the lane was clear. He knew I would have eaten him up.

I've found that LS1s are like women. Some are much faster than others.

LOL

SGOSWRX, May I ask how your TBE is on your STi. I have the HKS cat-back. and I have a left-over Invidia DP that I was going to use on my WRX before the trade-in. I am hesitant due to boost creep issues...
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Don't let the doughter bother you. I've beaten 5 different LS1s on the street from a roll in my STi. I beat a C5 Vette exactly the way you did. We went from about 35mph - 100mph and I had him by 1+ cars.
    About 3 weeks ago , I beat an LS1 Trans Am from a 1st gear roll all the way to 130mph.

The last LS1 I raced (a white LS1 Z28) was my closet race so far. We both nailed it going about 45mph and we ran basically dead even up to 90mph. We both had to let off because of an up coming light. He then refused to line up next to me. He got behind me at the light even though the lane was clear. He knew I would have eaten him up.

you also are trapping almost 6mph more than Luke
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by LukeWRX
    See thats the thing. I did pull on a C5, I know because it happened. LOL now please dont get upset I am not trying to act juvenile here.

I am not saying "C5's suck, STi's own all C5's" hehe, I posted primarily because I was surprised at the outcome. I must remind readers of my initial post that in no way are "kills" a broad brush statment of automobile vs. automobile. In reality there are many factors contributing NUMBER 1 being driver.

SilverScooby, I believe that to be part of the case here. I said I got a jump on him, by the time I had closed on him(his rear bumper and my front) is when I saw him get on it. So momentum was working for me. However I continued to pull away to the sum of a 1 1/2 car length lead on the high end of 4th, I then pulled in front and we had to brake to exit.

The reason why I take some enjoyment in it. Is because of the OBVIOUS "hot sh#t" attitude exhibited by the two occupants of the C5. Until of course his driving abilities, and subsequently his Corvette were embedded in a pile of steamy dookie. Poor car it deserved such a better driver.
    What I think probably happened was he left it in 5th. If he had downshifted you'd be left back.
    2003 SRT-4

how do you know the vette was stick??
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

Originally posted by fastwrx135
    how do you know the vette was stick??
    if it was auto and he floored it, he would have downshifted and beat him, so It couldnt be an auto.
    2003 SRT-4

Maybe the other driver sucked. We forget that not all Corvette drivers are Pro's. Good kill though.
    Bleeding true blue.

"That gasp you just heard was National League hitters after hearing that Mark Prior has added a couple extra MPH to his fastball this winter."

-Will Carroll-

03 Blue rex - Sold
    04 Black Forester XT - Nice

Thumbs up

LukeWRX,
    First off NICE KILL man, I wish I was there to see that one!! Not because I don't believe you but because I would've loved to see the look on the faces of the other 2 dudes. Next time post the Vid. man Have you experienced any boost creep with your exhaust? Keep posting the good kills!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.