STi vs. C5 Vette - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi vs. C5 Vette within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What I think probably happened was he left it in 5th. If he had downshifted you'd be left back. Whats ...

What I think probably happened was he left it in 5th. If he had downshifted you'd be left back.
    Whats up with you man? Did I get your panties in a bunch with my story?

He deffinately downshifted/floored it(auto or stick) the black smoke from exhaust was noteable. And we were going 40mph when the encounter began, which makes it not as likely he would have been in 5th as if we were going 65-70mph. REMEMBER he was the one who instigated previously on the highway, we were both moving at a high rate of speed through traffic before the first off-ramp and the aformentioned race ocurred.

SO I dont know about you, but if I am instigating something with another car, and that car ends up getting behind me I am ready to run as soon as a bottle neck opens up.

This was the most straight up, legitimate encounter I have had with a Vette. And I came 1/2 CL behind to 1 1/2 CL ahead, able to turn in-front...completing a full passing manuver. Now I in, no way am incinuating that this was soley up to the potential of the cars.

Please forgive me for posting this story, I in no way want to offend the ultimate "stoplight warrior"
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Greddy: EGT, Boost, Oil Press Gauges
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Boostman,

No, no boost creep with the HKS cat-back. I never had the stock exhaust on, I actually swapped this from my WRX when I bought the STi.

But the readings from my Greddy boost gauge(electronic) read roughly .95-.98 bar depending on how I look at it. I havent gotten over 1.0bar in any gear.

However, I have an Invidia DP I am waiting to install and a little weary of creep. I dont like the idea of using a MBC to controll boost or porting my wastegate. I like to keep all stock components in original form whenever I replace them with aftermarket. I may just wait for Engine Management to complete the TBE
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    you also are trapping almost 6mph more than Luke

Are you sure you saw that right? that 108 mph trap is from his stage 4 wrx...

Its quite possible. Same reason I have beaten all sorts of domestic jibber-jabber on the streets, most drivers just arent good.

When you give a bad driver a 300+hp RWD car its just raises their coefficient of suck by two times. I know that doesent necessarily apply to this story, but its the reason we all buy and race cars instead of just sitting in the garage yelling about what "car and driver" said you can run.
    I created my avatar.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by LukeWRX
    Whats up with you man? Did I get your panties in a bunch with my story?

He deffinately downshifted/floored it(auto or stick) the black smoke from exhaust was noteable. And we were going 40mph when the encounter began, which makes it not as likely he would have been in 5th as if we were going 65-70mph. REMEMBER he was the one who instigated previously on the highway, we were both moving at a high rate of speed through traffic before the first off-ramp and the aformentioned race ocurred.

SO I dont know about you, but if I am instigating something with another car, and that car ends up getting behind me I am ready to run as soon as a bottle neck opens up.

This was the most straight up, legitimate encounter I have had with a Vette. And I came 1/2 CL behind to 1 1/2 CL ahead, able to turn in-front...completing a full passing manuver. Now I in, no way am incinuating that this was soley up to the potential of the cars.

Please forgive me for posting this story, I in no way want to offend the ultimate "stoplight warrior"
    Im sure your 230whp car hung with a 320rwhp car from a roll and both of you drove the car to its maximum potential. That adds up.
    2003 SRT-4

Im sure your 230whp car hung with a 320rwhp car from a roll and both of you drove the car to its maximum potential. That adds up
    Actually I more than hung with it. But what is wrong with you, seriously. I do not seek the adoration of internet forum users to boost my ego and make me feel special. In fact I stated earlier that the reason I posted it, was because of its surprising outcome and the gratification I took in beating two "pretty boys" in a faster car. Me beating them meerly highlighted their inadequacy behind the wheel, or the poor care they take of the Corvette.

I am sorry you take such offense to this. I have nothing against Domestics, V8's, FWD, RWD.

I also made disclaimers several times as to how I didnt want this construed as STi's in general being able to beat C5's, in no way do I believe that to be true(in a controlled environment)

So I am just going to hand you a Yuengling(home town lager ) and maybe I can find these two weenies again but with my digi-cam.
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Actually I more than hung with it. But what is wrong with you, seriously. I do not seek the adoration of internet forum users to boost my ego and make me feel special. In fact I stated earlier that the reason I posted it, was because of its surprising outcome and the gratification I took in beating two "pretty boys" in a faster car. Me beating them meerly highlighted their inadequacy behind the wheel, or the poor care they take of the Corvette.

I am sorry you take such offense to this. I have nothing against Domestics, V8's, FWD, RWD.

I also made disclaimers several times as to how I didnt want this construed as STi's in general being able to beat C5's, in no way do I believe that to be true(in a controlled environment)

So I am just going to hand you a Yuengling(home town lager ) and maybe I can find these two weenies again but with my digi-cam.
    Make no mistake, I dont think you're lying about what happened. I believe your story, I just think there had to have been extenuating circumstances. C5s can flat out move on the hiway, more so than an STi.
    2003 SRT-4

StoplightWarrior,
    This isn't too hard to believe. Especially if you saw the video of the Silver STi winning, by a healthy margin, over a Z06. Now LukeWRX said that the race started from about 40-45mph roll. I know that the STi pulls like a madman at speeds especially under 100. The brand new C5's run about 13.2 at 109, stock. But as we all know, especially from personal experiences, that numbers often times mean little or nothing at all. I've said it once and I'll say it again, great kill LukeWRX'man!!

LOL

SGOSWRX, May I ask how your TBE is on your STi. I have the HKS cat-back. and I have a left-over Invidia DP that I was going to use on my WRX before the trade-in. I am hesitant due to boost creep issues...
    I really like the exhaust. Its pretty loud but not too bad, considering I'm running catless.
    I think the best part of my setup is the Godspeed downpipe. I love going catless and not having to worry about getting a
    CEL.
    As far as boost creep, I don't know. I'm getting a boost gauge put on my STi in the next week or so. I'll report back on how much boost I'm making. But my car runs great. I've never had any pinging, etc.

Thumbs up

Damn, what's with all the haters on this board ? I got the same **** on my STi -vs- 405hp Z06 thread and it even had video.

Good run man!

steve - are you sure though that that was a z06 vette that you ran? you posted the video, i remember seeing that, but i could believe it if it was a c5 but not a z06 i didnt see any badges on it either? but that doesnt mean much these days cause you can put anything on a car now.(just like the hood he put on it that you said) just that my friend with his z06 runs 12.3 @ 116 with a bigger T/B, i forgot his 60 ft though. idk man, im not knockin on anyones car but just seems weird. i wish the guy with the 350 whp would race me with the sti cause i think it would be a decent race since he said that he pulled on the e46 m3 from a roll, i love to go from a roll with my car now, ill love it more too next spring when i pump up my boost to 10#s instead of 7 that i have now.
    and if you guys think that im favoring the chevy side, i dont favor none,(even though i drive a ford ) lol. i know how they can get and when you put them in their place its even better, same thing with guys with stangs, cobras, vettes, vipers, etc. good pull though,
    1993 5.0 mustang coupe
    Holley Systemax II intake, TFS TW Alum. heads, novi 1000 supercharger, TF 1.6 Roller rockers, TF stage one cam, mac 70 mm T/B, 80mm Pro-m meter, FMS 24lb in. morpheus power pipe, Accel coil, rear air bag, Tremec 3550, FMS 373 gears, eaton 31 dif, moser 31 axles, FPR, white face gauges, pro 5.0 shifter, 3 chamber flowmasters, Offroad h-pipe, Mac headers, Centerfource cluch, steeda clutch quadrant and cable, saleen wing, walbro 255 fuel pump, Eibach lowering springs 1 7/8", M.U. Sub-frames. maximum motorsport LCAs, wild rides battle boxes, reinforcment plates.
    Track Times:
    Lebonon Valley:
    before heads/cam 13.76 @ 101.74 60ft - 2.24 after but before gears - 13.26 @106.66 with 2.166 60'
    12.840 @108.74 1.993 60ft
    11.998@114.015 1.730 60ft with novi non tuned and breaking up

Originally posted by green93notch
    steve - are you sure though that that was a z06 vette that you ran? you posted the video, i remember seeing that, but i could believe it if it was a c5 but not a z06 i didnt see any badges on it either? but that doesnt mean much these days cause you can put anything on a car now.(just like the hood he put on it that you said) just that my friend with his z06 runs 12.3 @ 116 with a bigger T/B, i forgot his 60 ft though. idk man, im not knockin on anyones car but just seems weird. i wish the guy with the 350 whp would race me with the sti cause i think it would be a decent race since he said that he pulled on the e46 m3 from a roll, i love to go from a roll with my car now, ill love it more too next spring when i pump up my boost to 10#s instead of 7 that i have now.
    and if you guys think that im favoring the chevy side, i dont favor none,(even though i drive a ford ) lol. i know how they can get and when you put them in their place its even better, same thing with guys with stangs, cobras, vettes, vipers, etc. good pull though,
    Here we go again. Yes it was a Z06, 2002 405hp. Again, this is at 5800ft elevation, your buddy's 12.3 would be a 13.3 here and that's on a sticky track, probably more like a 13.6 on the street. In these cold temps my car is probably right at a 13.0. Now do you believe it?

i guess i can believe it the more and more i think about it because you did pull on him on the roll from a start then he started to pull. are you stock?

He said he got the jump on the vette, that's how he pulled on him. Reaction time is important in races from a roll too. A car that traps 103 mph will definitely pass a car that traps 109 mph in a race from a roll, if the 103 mph car gets, say, a 1 second jump.

...If they hit it at the same time, or if the vette hit it first, it would have been ugly.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Originally posted by green93notch
    i guess i can believe it the more and more i think about it because you did pull on him on the roll from a start then he started to pull. are you stock?
    At the time I just had a MBC set at stock boost (15psi, it just holds boost better with the MBC) and a crank pulley. This race would of been totally different at sea level, he probably would of beat me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.