New GTO commercial - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New GTO commercial within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Bask Oner I read a review saying that it's VERY hard to smoke the tires of the ...

Originally posted by Bask Oner
    I read a review saying that it's VERY hard to smoke the tires of the new GTO.
    I suspect it's still easier to smoke the tires in a GTO than in a WRX or STi... Anybody who wants to do a brake torque, or dump the clutch will easily overpower the rear tires on the 350 hp GTO, same as any coupe or sedan with 250+hp. Traction control must be turned off, of course.

And despite the fact that the commercial shows just the silhoutte, and a few closups (headlight, tire), it's ridiculous to compare to the Infiniti ads that showed streams, trees, rocks, leaves, and didn't even hint at anything about the car. I think the ad is meant to generate interest, without giving too much away, and is more likely aimed at those that haven't seen it yet or know little about it (unlike most of us who are car enthusiasts and have all seen it and known about it for months). It certainly hints at performance and will stir up excitement amongst those that aren't already predetermined to not like GM or domestics in general.

As a Pontiac fan, I'm disappointed by the blandness of the looks. I still find it attractive, but in a girl next door type of way. I'm just happy it's an LS1 with a modern approach.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I read a review saying that it's VERY hard to smoke the tires of the new GTO.
    LOL! Thats a good one...an LS1 that can't smoke the tires

I watched the Speed Channel show about it last night and they listed it as $34K with the 6 speed an extra $695
    Yes it is offical, pontiac set the price at $31,995 and it is a $695 option for the 6 spd.....but if you get the Auto you have to pay $1000 gas guzzler tax

Also, MotorTrend track tested it....not exilerating performance...13.6@106 and a slalom of 63.xx definatley not STi or Evo performance in the slalom but the aftermarket can fix that
    Stock or something close to it.....

I can't believe they rebadged this Holden Monaro, of basically 2-3 year old design, and try to say that it is a new REVIVAL of the Pontiac GTO over there.....

The front grilled is ugly, like someone mentioned...

The interior however looks very nice indeed, I think a lot of guys would love it.

Seriously though, I have no idea whether Australian built cars or US builts cars are worst in quality..... hehe. I have tried both and they are about on par with the Thailand made cars IMO!

106mph standard form, 13.60 is NO SLOUCH though.... I don't see many other cars this quick yet having all that comfortable stuff inside!
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

Originally posted by Iruka
    of basically 2-3 year old design, and try to say that it is a new REVIVAL of the Pontiac GTO over there.....
    If you think that's bad, you should check out MB with their G500 SUV... Seems like everyone with more money than sense is pickin them up because they think it is the latest and greatest from MB...

Little do they know that the G500 has been around for the better part of the last 20 years in other parts of the world except N/America...
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

DJP
    Listen folks, I used to own a 2001 WS6, a 325hp ram air trans am ,,, well on the dyno it put down 306 hp at the wheels! Ok, thats not a 325hp stock car, GM always underrates their engines! The LS1 IMHO is the best engine out there. It pulls unlike any V8 I have ever driven/riden in. IT pulls and no matter where you are in the gears you always have power. I am super excited about the GTO and it has all kinds of stupid weight in it, and wait until Lingenfelter gets ahold of it! If I could chose the STI or the GTO, it would be super hard! I would probably get the STI because its such a great car but I wouldnt be able to abuse the STI like I could the GTO. The T56 tranny is solid, I beat the living crap outta my TA for 20K miles no problems! It was running the lingenfelter 383 package (425hp) and ever light was a hole shot. The tranny clicks into gears as where my WRX it sloshes, grinds and fights me going into gears. THe T56, you could put it in first gear going 30mph no problem, ever.

My dad and I jsut recently setup a friend's C4 corvette with a T56 tranny, we had to shorten the drive shaft and make some new brackets for the tranmission mounts ... a very cool install.

Dont be surprised about the GTO, it will be pretty bad ass and unlike my TA, it has independant suspension where as my TA had a fixed rear end ... it was tall happy always, a real pain in the arse!

All in all the GTO will not be a slack of a car, you older GTO fans will have your opinions BUT if we always did the same thing all the americans would produce would be mustangs. HA!

But I'm very happy with WRX I know it will play with many cars and thats all that matter until I finish law school!
    the AXIS is coming ....

I Support ClubWRX
    Would have liked to have seen the whole car, but it is amazing that GM is actually willing to show "performance" related commercial. Didn't even have a Zeppelin back beat in it...

BTW..is it just me, or does the GTO look like a swollen Cavelier? Not that my "box with wings" will ever win any beauty awards
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12