Van Encounter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Van Encounter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I doing some soccer shopping this morning and driving on Upper Roswell; I was coming from the Mill going towards ...

Van Encounter

I doing some soccer shopping this morning and driving on Upper Roswell; I was coming from the Mill going towards the 120 Loop. Speed limit is 45 so I'm doing my normal 50-55 at some points. Sometimes traffic was doing 10 "below" the speed limit so I just go into the other lane and accelerate to my normal driving speed and pass everyone.
    Well something really pissed this old tan/brown Ford van off. I know I passed this van a while back and he's next to me at a light on Upper Roswell and Johnson Ferry. We're both the second cars as both of us are behind other cars; he's in the left lane and I'm in the right. Light turns green and I'm just driving like normal when I notice the van coming into "my" lane. I let it go figuring he's on the cell phone or just not paying attention. Then he does the same thing again. I'm now thinking to myself what's wrong with this person so I slow down. I figure drinking this early in Cobb County is a little weird. As I start to accelerate to pass him, he come into my lane ... no blinkers, etc. Now he's sitting infront of me and take "both" lanes literally so no tarffic can pass. I just sit back and wait for him to chose a lane. He decides to come into my lane so I use the blinkers and move into the left lane. As I'm about to pass him he comes into my lane yet again w/ no blinkers and hits the brakes? He was a little too close to my car so I was not happy.
    I was going to let him slide earlier but this really pissed me off. Pretty boy wouldn't let me pass so I pulled out the cell phone and called 911. I reported a tan/brown van driving below the sped limit in both lanes all over the road and cutting traffic off who's trying to pass. This whole time we're going "below" the speed limit. I gave the operator the license plate and location on Upper Roswell where we're at. She stated that she'll notify the officers in the area so I gave my thanks. Granted maybe nothing happened to the van but at least I said something. The samething happened to me a few years ago when I was in college coming back home around 2am. Why are people so weird?
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    you did the right thing. Way to be mature about it.
    2003 SRT-4

I had an F-150 Harley Davidson edition intentionally run me from my lane a while back and he was laughing about it...so I called the police on him. When driving, keep calm and remember: incompetency runs rampant.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Way to keep a cool head about it. I probably would have tried to blow past the guy.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Originally posted by AjIsDope
    Way to keep a cool head about it. I probably would have tried to blow past the guy.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

You played it cool. But I suspect your report had little value.

The other day I was cruising down a local backroad when an old fart in a new Cadillac pulled out, not stopping for his stop sign but proceeding to putter at 25 mph in a 45 mph. I passed him swiftly as if he were driving a disabled vehicle. He called 911 on me and followed to a local store. When I came out, a local cop confronted me, saying, "Someone said you blew by him at 90+mph on a local road and reported you." I said, "Do you mean the old dude who blew through his stop sign and refused to yield to oncoming traffic? He was the dangerous one, but I don't want to press charges." He said, "It doesn't matter, it's his word against yours, but I want to see your license and registration."

So whoever is the jerk, it's your word against his. So don't get your hopes up even if you're right.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

Originally posted by virpacalis
    You played it cool. But I suspect your report had little value.

The other day I was cruising down a local backroad when an old fart in a new Cadillac pulled out, not stopping for his stop sign but proceeding to putter at 25 mph in a 45 mph. I passed him swiftly as if he were driving a disabled vehicle. He called 911 on me and followed to a local store. When I came out, a local cop confronted me, saying, "Someone said you blew by him at 90+mph on a local road and reported you." I said, "Do you mean the old dude who blew through his stop sign and refused to yield to oncoming traffic? He was the dangerous one, but I don't want to press charges." He said, "It doesn't matter, it's his word against yours, but I want to see your license and registration."

So whoever is the jerk, it's your word against his. So don't get your hopes up even if you're right.
    Getting it on camera helps a lot. I've had some ass call the cops on me like that before, excepting I wasn't in the area at all. They said I had been going more than 100 mph over the speed limit through a neighborhood, and the neighborhood they said it was in...my car can't hit 100. I won't speed through there since I don't in neighborhoods but that was ridiculous. The cop asked if I had done that and when I told him it's not possible, he agreed and said the caller was probably just being an ass. Another person called the cops on me for passing them when they were going under the speed limit but instead of saying I was going too fast, they said I was "passing people," "driving recklessly," and "running people off the road." Some people just outright lie when they call it in...so I guess that goes to support the police not putting much value in calls they get.

RN

that sucks
    2003 SRT-4

Bad Drivers...Come to Western Florida.

I am a Philadelphia area native myself so I am used to the aggressive(not violent, but purposeful) driving needed to beat traffic to work/home from work.

Well here in the Pensacola area, things move at a SLOWER PACE. Like 10mph under in the LEFT LANE with no blinkers, oh yeah and the Pensacola Pullout which routinely kills 1 motorcyclist per week in the summer(I have a bike myself).

Also the Redneck/Rebel road-rage disease ABOUNDS down here.

Not only that but the COPS dont use their signals, tailgate innocent drivers. I amost hit a cop from behind who didnt have his headlights(tail lights) on in heavy fog.

I proceded to B#tch him out ONLY because I now carry my digital camera/video recorder everywhere with me. I focus generally on law enforcement violations, and extrememly bad civillian drivers(I am used to the others by now.)

It is a good tool, especially when you video tape a cop going 80 in a 55mph zone not using signals to change lanes and subsequently are able to pace next to him/pass slowly with a grin on your face. Perhapse I will be pulled over sometime for it, I would actually look forward to it to see what happens in court.
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Greddy: EGT, Boost, Oil Press Gauges
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

Re: Van Encounter

Originally posted by chuglobal
    I figure drinking this early in Cobb County is a little weird.
    Ha ha, that's pretty funny. Nothing like driving in the bible belt where they hate them little rice-burners huh?

Re: Re: Van Encounter

Originally posted by QrexQ
    Ha ha, that's pretty funny. Nothing like driving in the bible belt where they hate them little rice-burners huh?
    2003 SRT-4

Re: Bad Drivers...Come to Western Florida.

Originally posted by LukeWRX
    I am a Philadelphia area native myself so I am used to the aggressive(not violent, but purposeful) driving needed to beat traffic to work/home from work.

Well here in the Pensacola area, things move at a SLOWER PACE. Like 10mph under in the LEFT LANE with no blinkers, oh yeah and the Pensacola Pullout which routinely kills 1 motorcyclist per week in the summer(I have a bike myself).

Also the Redneck/Rebel road-rage disease ABOUNDS down here.

Not only that but the COPS dont use their signals, tailgate innocent drivers. I amost hit a cop from behind who didnt have his headlights(tail lights) on in heavy fog.

I proceded to B#tch him out ONLY because I now carry my digital camera/video recorder everywhere with me. I focus generally on law enforcement violations, and extrememly bad civillian drivers(I am used to the others by now.)

It is a good tool, especially when you video tape a cop going 80 in a 55mph zone not using signals to change lanes and subsequently are able to pace next to him/pass slowly with a grin on your face. Perhapse I will be pulled over sometime for it, I would actually look forward to it to see what happens in court.
    My camera tends to focus on blatant violations by police and the REALLY bad civilian drivers too. Gonna compile it all into a VHS and let whatever department is at fault have a copy.

RN

(Un)fortunately the call DOES sometimes work. I've been on the other side of the situation, and I was issued a ticket. His word must've been worth more than mine

VV

Originally posted by VetteVert
    (Un)fortunately the call DOES sometimes work. I've been on the other side of the situation, and I was issued a ticket. His word must've been worth more than mine

VV
    Either the caller could provide definite proof of what he said or an officer of some sort witnessed it or caught it on camera. They can't issue a ticket simply based on what a single person says on the phone.

I've been harassed by the sheriff's department over a call and when I called in about the truck that ran me from my lane a few times, I was told there's not much they can do...so I should get it on camera.

RN

Obviously not true in all situations, as it happened just as I stated. No camera, no other witnesses, purely his word against mine. However, there was one big "gotcha". He was butt buddies with a bigwig at the state capital....had the police contacting me within the hour, with a threat that a deputy would be sent to pick me up if I didn't come in.

VV

Originally posted by renichms
    Either the caller could provide definite proof of what he said or an officer of some sort witnessed it or caught it on camera. They can't issue a ticket simply based on what a single person says on the phone.

I've been harassed by the sheriff's department over a call and when I called in about the truck that ran me from my lane a few times, I was told there's not much they can do...so I should get it on camera.

RN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.