Old Saab 9000 turbo (?)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Old Saab 9000 turbo (?) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I don't know my Saabs very well, but I know it was a Saab and I know it said 9000 ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up Old Saab 9000 turbo (?)

I don't know my Saabs very well, but I know it was a Saab and I know it said 9000 on the back...hehe

I was coming home from dropping Shinigami off tonight and this older man in an old Saab keeps trying to keep up with me around Green Lake. I finally get to a stop light and he pulls up next to me and smiles. Looks like he's got a few people in the car, so my guess is that he just wanted to see me go. I smile back, the light turns green, he screeches his tires, and I'm gone. I take a left and he follows me, way WAY behind. I then get on my cross street and he finally catches up to me when I have to slow down for traffic. He pulls up next to me at about 35 or so, looks over, smiles, waves, and drives on by. He was a pretty cool guy and his passengers all waved at me too
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    Saab is one manufacturer who was a huge proponent of turbo-charged engines. They were turbocharging since about the 70's on their passenger cars.

Their V6 on the (-3 is available was an assymmetric turbo (which only 1 bank of cylinders is running the turbo)

Still to this day, they stand by turbocharging, from using a Light Pressure turbo for lower models to bigger boost in sportier models. And in some models with automatics, there's an overboost mode when you step on the accelerator pedal in automatics, where you get about 20 seconds of a lot more boost (controlled by the electronic wastegate).

Only the viggen models are decently fast. Most of them are luxury cars, they have pretty nice interiors.
    Saab is developing the variable compression engines, which is very interesting if they implement it into their cars.

the new 93 turbo is a pretty quick little ride. the boost auge is a little graph which is kind of neat, only it doesn't actually give you a number or real figure for your boost level.

their interiors are some of the best in the industry as far as amount of controls and informaiton presented, and the relative ease of use/understanding required.

nice little ride, i just can't get past the looks. it was tough enough with betty.

dR

tan
    I love the "Black Panel"

The ignition key....a bit controversial, but with the 5-speed, it also includes a shifter lock. If the key is not in there, the shifter isn't moving.

Many markets have had that feature as an option (for other cars)

Verdugo,

My sister has a viggen and it's pretty fast. Power comes in really low and pulls nice to redline. The car is also fast from a roll. Verdugo, How is your Unichip working? I recived my unichip last week and I am installing it this weekend. I was wating for my gauge and gauge pod. Are you using any gauges?

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    My unichip is running great I'm getting some hesitation though, but I'll be getting the grounding mod done in a couple weeks at a local NW installfest, along with hacking my intake silencer. The only gauge I have right now is the boost gauge that's part of my turbo timer...I'm thinking about the A-Pillar pod on the Vendor's Forum but money is pretty tight right now since I just changed jobs.
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

Is it a bad hesitation? I am installing my Unichip tomorrow. I will drive the car and look for the hesitation. If i get it i will do the ground mod.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well, the problem is, I don't know if it's hesitation due to the unichip, or if it's just my AT. I do have a little of the hesitation that's been talked about previously, but it's not very much. It's not making my car really jerky or anything like that. I just figure that if we're going to be doing the silencer hack, might as well do the grounding mod while we're at it. Let me know how yours goes though

my bro has a 89 9000 turbo. hauls ass on the highway. great top end. high top speed and it gets there fast

I drove the prototype 99 turbo back in the '70s. I was working at Beach Imports as a mechanic and Saab was sending the car around to all the dealerships as a promo. I snuck it out after work drove it a couple of miles. Didn't think it was really all that quick (no intercooler as I recall). The thing I remember the most was the Pirelle CN36 tires, one of the first, if not the first, low profile tire. Crude by todays standards but a revelation back then.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.