Mustang people waving the BS Flag - Page 5
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mustang people waving the BS Flag within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; WHAT!!!?!?!?? There ware atleast SIX WRX's and three 2.5RSs at MIR Midnight drags opening night. Including Phil and Mark from ...

WHAT!!!?!?!??

There ware atleast SIX WRX's and three 2.5RSs at MIR Midnight drags opening night. Including Phil and Mark from TurboXS, me, and BigRich.

-Jim

Originally posted by Jayman
    Some of you WRXers should race at MIR, I swear, I never see a WRX at the 1/4 mile track! I see 'em at Summit Point and in the parking garage here at work, but nobody seems very intent on 1/4 mile times or modding their WRXs in this area. One of my co-workers has a blue sedan WRX, I keep trying to talk him into modding it, but he's on the fence: mod this WRX, or trade it in on an STi if they ever get over here.

Regarding the whole 4.6L vs WRX, I'm too old school for the 4.6L. I've just got a 5.0 (two, actually)... one's so slow you could beat it in your SUV, you wouldn't even need to break out the WRX. The other's in pieces, but before I took it all apart it made 619 WHEEL horsepower. (Then again, it doesn't fit into any discussion where the term "lightly modded" is thrown around.)

I don't know how this got turned into a pissing contest, I really dig the WRXs. If I needed a 4 door vehicle, I'd buy one TODAY. I'm also a tinker hound, I am quite certain I couldn't leave it stock if I did buy one...
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You guys want some real fun reading? Last month a WRX sedan wit more or less the Cobb Tuning RT package on it beat a stock 2000 Trans Am on the track. Then the girl who drove the Trans Am wrote about it on LS1.com, which was linked by the driver of the WRX on i-club.com.

For entertainment purposes only :

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...threadid=69744

http://i-club.com/forums/showthread....hreadid=167115

Originally posted by elohdaeh78
    stock 5.0s 88-93 breaking into the 13s? Hm those professionals at car and drive that could only muster a 14.9 out of them better start looking for a new job. I would like to see your definition of stock. I am talking straight off the lot, dont' take anything off the car dont' put anything on the car and don't change anything? 13s you say? was that track downhill?
    Are you another one of those guys who has never owned a Mustang and think you know more about them than those who have owned them for years because of something you've seen in a magazine?

Stock: the same was when you took delivery of it. Now replacing the spark plugs, tires, etc... when they are worn out with new ones doesn't change that.

I feel the same way about those drivers. In 1988 when I bought my Mustang Road and Driver Trend tested a 5-speed GT to 15.8

I loved cars then, but really didn't know much about them. So when I first took mine to the track, I was hoping I'd be able to get into the 14s.

Now here are some other things to keep in mind...

• I bought the car in '88. I first took it to the track in '90. During that time, I never changed the tires. I don't know how many times I changed the oil or plugs - but it wasn't often. The tires, as you can imagine, could have been better.
    • My GT is fully loaded with all the creature comforts. And it has the "economy" 2.73 gear ratio. Had I known better, I would have gotten a "lighter" Mustang with fewer options and the 3.08 gear ratio.
    • At the track: What's this? Race gas? Cool! That ought to give me a few horsepower! Well, not on a 9:1 compression motor tuned for the street. If anything, it slowed me down.
    • Timing: Little did I know at the time that the stock initial timing is supposed to be set at 10 advanced. I never checked the timing since I had the car. But I did check it sometime later and found out that it was only set to 6 or 7 advanced.

Now, it's pretty obvious that my car should be lucky to break into the 14s. I'd be lucky to break into the mid 15s, especially if you believe the whine & chesse car mags like Road and Driver Trend. I mean, if they run high 15s with professional drivers, a rank amatuer such as myself, with NO drag strip experience, in a car that's not even up to stock spec, well...gee, do I see some 16-second ETs in the future?

Well, my worst run was a 14.9. And my best was 14.4 (with a best 60' time of 2.223). Incidentally, my best run was during an elimination round and I lifted before the end to avoid a breakout. I broke out anyway, but so did the guy I was racing. My mph was 93.something, and I had been running closer to 96 when I stayed in it.

So, if I can get 14.4 in a not-optiimized-for-performance GT with worn tires and not up to stock specs on my very first trip to the strip, I don't see what's so hard to believe about some lighter, better geared LXs running a lot closer to the 13s.

If I ran 14.4 with the conditions mentioned above, then as yourself these questions:

• What if I had fresh tires? (I was getting 2.0-2.1 60; times when I replaced the tires - so there's .1-.2 off the ET right there)
    • What if I had my timing set to the stock setting of 10?
    • what if I had a tank full of 89 octane instead of that high octane race fuel?
    • What if I kept my foot in it all the way?

And then...

• What if I had 3.08 gears instead of 2.73s?
    • What if I had a "notchback" instead of the heavier GT?
    • What if I didn't have all those power-everything options?

Yeah, 13s are quite possible. It's been done before.

With a underdrive pulleys, exhaust and 3.73 rear gears, I went 13.8 @ 100 on street tires.
    Last edited by lyonsd; 05-09-2002 at 01:04 PM.

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    WHAT!!!?!?!??

There ware atleast SIX WRX's and three 2.5RSs at MIR Midnight drags opening night. Including Phil and Mark from TurboXS, me, and BigRich.

-Jim

Sorry I missed you guys, I usually avoid the Midnight Madness events, too f-ing crowded. The Test & Tunes are the best, they cost a little more, but the last one I did I got in like 10 runs, and that was because I spent a lot of time monkeying with the truck. My friend in a WS6 got in 20 runs... I don't think he ever got out of his car!

Maybe I'll get off my lazy butt and go to one of the Midnight Madness Fridays if I know some of you guys are going to be there. I hate to sound like a dingus, but I swear I have yet to see a WRX run down the 1/4!

FYI, to whomever said we gave WRXs "gruding respect", I don't begrudge my respect to anyone who learns how to drive, mod their car, and behave respectfully to others. I have friends with every sort of performance car known to man, I don't dislike any of them because they don't drive Fords...

Yo

The reason I usually only go up to 70mph is because that we I usually drive at ... if I could do 100mph+ then I race to 100mph+. My point about the weather is that the WRX is NOT limited to only "dry" conditions which is the best part. Technically I wouldn't really go at it in the snow, ice, rain, etc but it wouldn't deter me too much if I had to.
    lyonsd I do appreciate your chats ... it's always a pleasure to discuss opinions.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Richard,

Where are you planning to be Saturday morning?

Originally posted by lyonsd

If I ran 14.4 with the conditions mentioned above, then as yourself these questions:

• What if I had fresh tires? (I was getting 2.0-2.1 60; times when I replaced the tires - so there's .1-.2 off the ET right there)
    • What if I had my timing set to the stock setting of 10?
    • what if I had a tank full of 89 octane instead of that high octane race fuel?
    • What if I kept my foot in it all the way?

And then...

• What if I had 3.08 gears instead of 2.73s?
    • What if I had a "notchback" instead of the heavier GT?
    • What if I didn't have all those power-everything options?

Yeah, 13s are quite possible. It's been done before.

With a underdrive pulleys, exhaust and 3.73 rear gears, I went 13.8 @ 100 on street tires.
    What if.....?

There are too many what ifs. You ran a 14.4 in a stock GT; thanks for reinforcing what we already said.

What if my WRX was in Japanese stock factory spec. What if I had a sedan instead of a wagon (which is considerably heavier), etc. etc.

I believe you that a stock GT is capable of a high 13 second run, just as I know this to be true for a stock WRX. However, all things being average (weather, track conditions, driver, etc.) it's going to pull a low to mid 14 just as the WRX would.

-Pace

Originally posted by bedabi
    You guys want some real fun reading? Last month a WRX sedan wit more or less the Cobb Tuning RT package on it beat a stock 2000 Trans Am on the track. Then the girl who drove the Trans Am wrote about it on LS1.com, which was linked by the driver of the WRX on i-club.com.

For entertainment purposes only :

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...threadid=69744

http://i-club.com/forums/showthread....hreadid=167115

Hilarious... serves her right for being so sure she was going to spank him. Never underestimate your opponent.

-Pace

Originally posted by pace

What if.....?

There are too many what ifs. You ran a 14.4 in a stock GT; thanks for reinforcing what we already said.
    I'm just trying to make a point. Somebody doubted a 5.0 could hit the 13s. That point was that look what I ran given the conditions. If the conditions were right, I don't see why it's hard to believe that a stock 5.0 can hit 13s.

Yes, I ran a 14.4 in a stock GT that wasn't up to stock specs and lifting before the race was over to avoid breakout.

I believe you that a stock GT is capable of a high 13 second run, just as I know this to be true for a stock WRX. However, all things being average (weather, track conditions, driver, etc.) it's going to pull a low to mid 14 just as the WRX would.
    I don't know if you could get a 5.0 GT into the 13s. a '99 or new GT, sure. But for a 5.0, you're going to need a lighter car, like a LX "notchback".

The reason domestic racers dislike us so-called "ricers" is because we can mod the hell out of our cars and still drive every day in ANY weather condition. I have personally beat a newer rustang from a roll. He obviously knew about our launch capabilities so he didnt go WOT until 2nd gear but I actually pulled past him once I shifted into 3rd. We always have to defend ourselves when arrogant people think that going in a straight line for 12 seconds is all racing is about. I am happy to say that I can make my car run 12s for $4000 and I can beat most other cars when I actually turn the wheel. To Lyonsd, you said that you could have gone faster without the creature comforts--now I know why you people hate us "ricers", we can have all the amenities in our cars and still beat you racing.

Thumbs down

I am happy to say that I can make my car run 12s for $4000
    I am happy to say that I can make either of my cars run 12s for less than $1000 each.

Mustang: 13.13@108 with less than $1000 in mods. All I needed were better tires to get the ET to match the MPH.
    GN: Stock right now. Turn up the boost, K&N ($50), chip ($25) and decent tires ($200) - 12s for under $300.

Originally posted by Rex N Effect
    To Lyonsd, you said that you could have gone faster without the creature comforts--
    I was talking about stock Mustangs going 13s. Read my post closely, junior. I told you what I ran in a STOCK Mustang will all the bells and whistles. I mentioned that certain 5.0 Mustangs can go into the 13s STOCK if the owner decides to neglect some of the options.

If I wanted to go faster in MY particualar Mustang which already has all the creature comforts, I could modify it just as easily as you could modify your car, whcih I have already done. In fact, I've already beaten two LS1 F-bodies with it (not using any nitrous, either) and I have all the amenities.

now I know why you people hate us "ricers",
    I don't hate WRX guys.

I don't hate ricers either....I pity the fools!!

But why do you think that I think you're a ricer? And why do you think that I and "domestic racers" hate you?

I like the WRX. I wouldn't mind having one. But I had to buy a Suburban instead because I have other responsibilities.

we can have all the amenities in our cars and still beat you racing.
    I can get either my Mustang or my GN into the 10s and have all the amenities, so your point is meaningless.
    Last edited by lyonsd; 05-09-2002 at 02:41 PM.

Hey guys,

Let's make sure and keep this friendly

Justin
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and experience comes from bad judgement.

Yah, this guy [lyonsd] has actually been pretty straightforward with us and has kept the BS out of his posts. Don't give him a hard time just because the other Mustang guy (FreakBoy?) had his head up his a$$.

-Pace

The issue is this. Drive what you want. The WRX is a great car, as is the Mustang IMO. Can't we all just get along?
    2002 WRX - stock

1995 Mustang Cobra - not stock

Yo

Wooohoo ... my RE730s are IN ... so I will have them on by 10am Sat ... now I have to actually take care of them ... no more launches ... well at least not as much.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.