Mustang people waving the BS Flag - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mustang people waving the BS Flag within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'd love to see that car. But if we meet, it'll have to be early. I have plans at 12:00....

I'd love to see that car. But if we meet, it'll have to be early. I have plans at 12:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Re: Re: Re: Actually ...

Originally posted by bedabi
    Actually, there are many of us who simply grow out of it. Seriously, you should take your car out to the track. Make a few suspension mods if you haven't already (did your Mustang come stock with drum brakes in the rear?) and do a real track event. Ther are always a couple of Mustangs in the track and autocross events I go to.
    Yes, I have stock brakes still. The only suspension mod my Mustang has is subframe connectors. They really seemed to have made a difference in the car.

Trust me, stop light races will lose their allure very quickly. The next time someone lines up next to you at a light in his or her big V-8 and smokes the tires, you'll just feel embarrased for him or her. Especially if it's an older driver with kids in the back. Kind of like when you see 40 year old guys at heavy metal concerts.
    I'm almost 40 myself. I don't initiate street races. But who can resist smoking some goofy ricer when the opportunity arises? Or better yet, somebody in a car that costs a heck of a lot more than the one I'm in? And I certainly don't smoke the tires - even the cheap ones are too expensive. Every now and then, some kids in a fwd ricer Civic or something will ask to see me do a burn out in the GN. I tell 'em, "you first".

Originally posted by lyonsd
    And what if the 4.6L is lightly modded too?

Not bad. 13.681 is a little better than a stock 4.6L GT. And by the MPH, looks like the Mustang in your example has a better power-to-weight ratio. As that and the 60' times indicate, you beat him with traction. Now suppose he put on some drag radials.

For less than $1000 in mods, I had my '88 5.0 running 13.1@108 on street tires. With a trap speed of 108, that's deep into the 12s with better tires than cheap $60 street radials.
    If he puts on drag radials, he'll no longer be running in the street stock class that I run in. Actually, I run primarily in the import class anyway.

I always beat modded 4.6Ls. They don't even give me pause for thought.

If the 4.6L is "lightly modded," I'll call in the big guns, anybody here with a TXS Stage 4: pace, Aecannonracing. If it's more modded than that, we call in the REALLY BIG GUNS, PE1818 and 1820 powered AWD monsters like Nathan, Big Al, God, and the likes. Without nitrous oxide, you'll never see a bolt-on Mustang running low 12's in the 1/4.

"Not bad." I beat him by almost 3/10s of a second. That's not "not bad" that's irrefutable evidence that dollar for dollar, a modded WRX with a good driver will always trounce a 4.6L Mustang GT.

BTW, how can you consider your GN the slower car. We have GNs in my neighborhood that blow by big block monsters at the 990' line like they've given up!

-Jim

I smell a Mustang vs. WRX track day! We should plan one for late June!
    Assuming we can all be civil enough to take our licks like MEN!

I'll be there representing the <$2000 mod class with a stock turbo running low 13s.

-Jim

Haha ...

Me too ... actually I'll be representing WRX w/ <$1500 in mods.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

You know, lyonsd, personally it's been a pleasure to have you on this forum. Unlike Freakboy, you've got a lot of class.

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

BTW, how can you consider your GN the slower car. We have GNs in my neighborhood that blow by big block monsters at the 990' line like they've given up!
    Because the last time I had either of them at the strip, the Mustang went 13.8@99 (on the motor) and 13.1@108 (on nitrous), and the GN went 14.1@96 (with an open differential - I have since installed an Eaton Posi).

And in a street race between the two, the Mustang won (on the motor). If the Mustang on the motor is quicker than the GN , then it'll be a lot quicker on nitrous than the GN.
    Last edited by lyonsd; 05-09-2002 at 01:24 PM.

Originally posted by bedabi
    You know, lyonsd, personally it's been a pleasure to have you on this forum. Unlike Freakboy, you've got a lot of class.
    Thanks. BTW, I really like your Imprezas.

I don't understand you Richard. You will race in ANY condition but not go past 80mph. I am the opposite, if it is organized or at the right location and time then I will race way past 80mph. Hell, you have seen me do it. But I will never race in the rain...AWD does not make you superman and you still hydroplane and lose grip if you're not careful. I want to keep my tranny and not break it and I enjoy racing cars from a roll. Its more of a challenge and there are not many cars on street tires that can beat a WRX from a dead stop to 70mph. All those launches will become costly in a few yrs when you have to replace your tranny so racing from a roll is a little bit easier on it, imo.

-Ryan
    '03 STi killer

lyonsd - Do you know any of the mustang owners that hang out on Barrett? Just wondering.

-Ryan
    '03 STi killer

Originally posted by wrXXX
    lyonsd - Do you know any of the mustang owners that hang out on Barrett? Just wondering.
    Yes. Although I don't know how often they go to Barrett. I've never been there myself to cruise or park or whatever people do there.

I really don't "know" them. I mainly just know who they are. I've only met a few Atlanta area Mustang owners once or twice in person. I live in Flowery Branch, which is pretty far from most of them. And I have a family. I really don't have time to hang out with them.

For the record,

I appreciate the props the some of my fellow rexers are giving me for my 1/4 mile skills, but I AM not driving to Georgia to race a couple of Mustangs. I get enough of that at Atco Raceway, which is <1 hour from my house.

The only way I'll come to GA to drag race is if I'm on my way to Disney world, or somebody wants to bet me a grand that a 4.6L SOHC Mustang can beat me all motor. I'll even go with naturally aspirated Cobras because I hand them their asses at my track too.

Most Camaro and Firebird guys ask me if I have nitrous on my car after I beat them. Mustang guys won't even talk to GM guys, so they sure as hell won't talk to me. The ONLY american V8 that I know to be careful of is the venerable LS1. I'm not about to put my money where my mouth is vs. a newer Camaro, Firebird or Corvette. That's for damN sure!

-Jim

stock 5.0s 88-93 breaking into the 13s? Hm those professionals at car and drive that could only muster a 14.9 out of them better start looking for a new job. I would like to see your definition of stock. I am talking straight off the lot, dont' take anything off the car dont' put anything on the car and don't change anything? 13s you say? was that track downhill?

Some of you WRXers should race at MIR, I swear, I never see a WRX at the 1/4 mile track! I see 'em at Summit Point and in the parking garage here at work, but nobody seems very intent on 1/4 mile times or modding their WRXs in this area. One of my co-workers has a blue sedan WRX, I keep trying to talk him into modding it, but he's on the fence: mod this WRX, or trade it in on an STi if they ever get over here.

Regarding the whole 4.6L vs WRX, I'm too old school for the 4.6L. I've just got a 5.0 (two, actually)... one's so slow you could beat it in your SUV, you wouldn't even need to break out the WRX. The other's in pieces, but before I took it all apart it made 619 WHEEL horsepower. (Then again, it doesn't fit into any discussion where the term "lightly modded" is thrown around.)

I don't know how this got turned into a pissing contest, I really dig the WRXs. If I needed a 4 door vehicle, I'd buy one TODAY. I'm also a tinker hound, I am quite certain I couldn't leave it stock if I did buy one...

This is cool. As dR implied; the fact that these Mustang guys are coming over here shows that they grudgingly respect the capabilities of the WRX.

I stand by my earlier statement. Stock for stock, a late GT and a WRX are very equally matched in terms of quarter mile ET. They are both 14 second cars, but with a good driver have both been demonstrated to pull high 13s in completely stock form. A $50 modification turns the WRX into a solid 13s car, and I'm sure there are cheap mods that will do the same to the GT.

-Pace

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast