wrx vs. is300 highway runs lol - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx vs. is300 highway runs lol within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I guess I can post in here since I also own a 01 IS300 and 01 LS400. When I had ...

I guess I can post in here since I also own a 01 IS300 and 01 LS400. When I had my WRX(stock), my wife(in the IS300) and I raced from 40-100mph and noticed that the WRX only pulled about 3 cars away from the IS300(damm stock boost tapering). Once I added MBC it was close to 7-8 cars by 100mph and after TXS stage 2 she didnt even bother hitting the gas after a couple seconds of racing. The IS300 delivers good G-force but very smoothly. We have a auto IS300 with e-shift(this was done with traction control off and manual shift). The wife said she ran full throttle and just kept shifting at redline. We've traded the IS300 in for 03 Expedition 2 months ago but it was a nice ride though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

GREDDY your wife must be cool

hm. an IS330 with AWD would be equivalent to the 330Xi about right? Maybe a little faster, damn...
    '03 white rex

Two of my friends have IS300 5 speeds. One has intake and exhaust and is barely faster than my other buddy's stock IS.

To make them fast they need boost. Go check out IS300.net and take a look at some of the scary fast turbo'd IS300's. There are several in the 500+ RWHP range.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Verc, my wife is pretty cool. She let me name my son "GREDDY'' and she let me trade in my WRX for the EVO8. How cool is that!
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

I sold my IS300 e-shift for my 04 wagon.

My personal best in my stock IS300 was a 15.7. Considering the WRX runs a low 14 stock, it's really no match at all.

On another note, I think my wagon outhandles the IS300 easily on both its stock potenza 040's or some Sumitomo HTR+'s that I had on there.

Do you have re92s on your wrx? Even with new tires, I'd say the is300 could edge out a wrx in just pure handling. Once in a while my friends and I go on canyon runs, the guy driving a stock is300 could almost stick on my other friend in his rx-7. Both are very good drivers.
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

My brother just bought an IS300 yesterday, brought it over to show off last night.. he even let me drive it. Nice car, quiet, plush... but it's a different kind of car. He wanted something that looked good and he could take clients to lunch in without them thinking they were dealing with a punk kid, which for him, he has to try, because he's a punk He looked at the WRX, but decided it wasn't what he was looking for.. besides.. he drives like an idiot... I woulld just be posting pics of his trached WRX in a few months.

I never bashed the IS300, but in a performance category it doesnt match the WRX. It is much twitchier at speeds. Over 100 it pulls WORSE the my stock WRX, which yes is suprising considering a 3.0 Liter V6 but its just weak top end. Best performance is like 20 -70 acceleration spurt. I just had a brand new 2004 IS300 demo from work this weekend, and i raced a new Tiburon V6 on the highway. Of course in the IS i beat him, but my friend who was with me said the WRX felt much faster when i would get on it at highway speeds. The Tiburon was only about 4 cars behind.
    However, the IS is much more comfortable, hell its a Lexus. It's very smooth and plush. Much more comfortable then our 330i, but not as driver oriented. Coolest part of the IS300? The chronograph style dash. I love it, although at night its tough to read. I never bashed the IS, I simply praised the WRX more. Just remember the IS even though only 1 grand more then an STi, goes after a total different market. You want luxury with decent performance and Lexus comfort and reliability even though its very small? The IS is a great buy if you dont like BMW of course...
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

Agreed, the IS has the most badass instrument cluster ever!
    '03 white rex

IS stock acceleration is no match for the WRX stock. GOtta go to boost.
    Allow myself to introduce myself

does anyone have a IS300 that i could trade with for a few days... they are really really beautiful cars, and i miss RWD. I know the WRX is faster, but in terms of asthetics, reliability, badass interior, sex appeal... its got my suby beat. And no performance modification will fix that. I'd welcome a gunmetal metallic IS in my garage in a heartbeat. Or would i get the cobalt blue...? i cant decide, either way heads will turn.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

the IS300 is... unforunatelly... severly underpowered for what it is...
    Me ni utsuru kono yo wa jigoku to iu

IS300

Just happened across this thread, and as an IS owner, I must agree with you.

Lex did a great job with styling, handling, but totally dropped the ball on the performance. My IS is stock (except wheel/tires and suspension) and I get smoked in races on a regular basis. The silver lining is (like several have already mentioned), when you add F/I (either a S/C or more so a TC) you can create a streetable MONSTER. I have personally seen a 12.04@123mph from a Turbo'd IS on street tires (spinning tires 1/4way down the track). So I will save my pennies for a turbo in the near future, then we will see who is laughing....muahhhaaa

check out www.is300.net if you are interested

As a car enthusiast, I really appreciate the WRX for its performance and especially the AWD. I have actually been considering buying one for the wife, and wanted to see what they are capable with a bite of modding.

Peace

IS's are nice and all... only thing that gets me down is the fact that it looks too much like a damned honda... i hate hondas with a passion
    Me ni utsuru kono yo wa jigoku to iu

My dad has an IS, and I have a WRX. There is no comparison between the cars, two different catagories. Oh, and btw, SRT's stage 4 Turbo kit for the IS just put down over 700 whp
    2002 WRX Sedan, Blue.
    Catless, Cobb Stage 2, and so on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.