Stock 01 cobra vs sti a little unfair - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock 01 cobra vs sti a little unfair within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I dont know much about Cobras. But I don't see an STi, stock atleast, putting 8 lengths on a decently ...

I dont know much about Cobras. But I don't see an STi, stock atleast, putting 8 lengths on a decently driven Cobra even in the 1/8th mile. every car length is like a .1 of a second I'm pretty sure, so beating an 01 Cobra by .8, almost a full second.....

sound sketchy to me. I know you were there and i wasn't, but I would say probably you overestimated your lead.
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    At the track, I've raced 6 pre-03 Cobras, most of them seemingly stock (didn't ask). The average distance between cars at the end of the 1/4 was roughly 6 to 10 car lengths. At the 8th, it might have been about the same but I'm not looking in my mirror at that point and time.

The one modded pre 03 Cobra beat me be about a nose and that was likely 'cause I missed my 2-3 shift, but continued on anyways.

The one 03 I've ran against...well....lets just say at the 1/8 I was thinking "hmmmm...guess this guy can't drive".'cause I couldn't even see him in my peripheral..about 200 yards from the end of the 1/4 I swear my car about got sucked over into his lane he went by so fast. He pull an 11.99....stock. That is just plain ungodly!!

Anything is possible in a race....anything.

Scott
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Re: SloSTi....

Originally posted by LukeWRX
    SloSti,

Do you know a guy named Wrick? He is an E-6 in the navy, now lives in Pensacola, had a Red Turbo GSR, then a WRX, now a Red EVO VII?
    Yes I do know Wrick, he is one of 3 other founders for our car club..... He has an EVO VIII (Typo) Good fella, tell him Jay said whats up....
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

Originally posted by Simp
    I dont know much about Cobras. But I don't see an STi, stock atleast, putting 8 lengths on a decently driven Cobra even in the 1/8th mile. every car length is like a .1 of a second I'm pretty sure, so beating an 01 Cobra by .8, almost a full second.....

sound sketchy to me. I know you were there and i wasn't, but I would say probably you overestimated your lead.
    Actually I am one of the more conservative people around. When I say I put 7-8 car lengths, thats what it was to say the least. The beating he took was bad, real bad, especially after all the snickering going on when I asked him if he wanted to run....
    Check out my other post regarding the Trans Am and watch the video, my run is about half way through it. It's from a dead stop, maybe you'll believe it then? Another thing, we are probably talking about a fella that has never been to the strip. So he launches very poorly. He would never be able to tell you what his reaction time, 60', trap, etc..... How could he get better at launching his car?
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

when you have 390hp and a lot less drive train loss , anything can happen :-)

but has anyone ever driven a Cobra? the clutch on those things is heavier than a leg press machine
    It is better to have others think that you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

02 WRX 44k - sold 2/28/5
    96 Corolla 128k
    92 Corolla 160k
    88 Accord 208k
    90 Voyager 242k

but has anyone ever driven a Cobra? the clutch on those things is heavier than a leg press machine
    what year was it? my clutch was hard to press in for a lil but after i switched to a steeda clutch cable it was alot easier to press, still have alot more pressure then my cusins wrx though.

we had a used 01 on the lot with like 25k on it and i drove that around the block a bit and the clutch was literally felt like i pressing a 100lb bag of concrete, the 03 SC'd was even worse...definitely not a car i would want to drive everyday, hell i would be miserable just driving thru town once
    It is better to have others think that you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

02 WRX 44k - sold 2/28/5
    96 Corolla 128k
    92 Corolla 160k
    88 Accord 208k
    90 Voyager 242k

I Support ClubWRX
    Thats odd, as I've driven the 03 Cobra also, and although the clutch is noticeably stiffer, it didn't feel like it would be all that uncomfortable over the long haul. Now the long throws on the shifter...that's another story. No thank you. However, I'll take that torque any day!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

However, I'll take that torque any day!!

Yes I do know Wrick, he is one of 3 other founders for our car club..... He has an EVO VIII (Typo) Good fella, tell him Jay said whats up....
    Yea VIII thats what I meant lol. I will tell him you said whats up, He was with me when I bought my STi(I am stationed in Pensacola as well). We went to the dealer for a downpipe gasket for my WRX and left with the STi
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Greddy: EGT, Boost, Oil Press Gauges
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

Congrats on your new car. So I guess the question now is, have you run against Wrick yet?
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

you can talks stats all day...if the driver is garbage...so is the car.....
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Well I have seen him in action against other stangs. If the o1 Cobra had a bad launch then its completely believable. The acceleration on the STI's is stupid...especially when ripped at 5.5k...

Congrats on your new car. So I guess the question now is, have you run against Wrick yet?
    haha, nope not yet. I offered to let him drive it, but he said he didnt like driving other peoples cars. We have basically the same mods now. Cat-backs, and Wrick has a grounding mod

Maybe the 13th both of us will get out to the local 1/8th track around here
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Greddy: EGT, Boost, Oil Press Gauges
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

well, went to gainesville last night, my "friend" rana 12.69 at 108 in 50 something degree weather. Also ran an 03 cobra with exhaust and beat him by a tenth, 12.8 vs 12.9....I believe that was due to driver error on the cobra driver....
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast