TurboXS stage II sedan versus S2000 with fat dual exhausts...and I get the angry bird

This is a discussion on TurboXS stage II sedan versus S2000 with fat dual exhausts...and I get the angry bird within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Westbound on Sunset highway headed towards Hillsboro (west of Portland). Earlier this afternoon. I was following a guy with a ...

TurboXS stage II sedan versus S2000 with fat dual exhausts...and I get the angry bird

Westbound on Sunset highway headed towards Hillsboro
    (west of Portland). Earlier this afternoon.

I was following a guy with a baseball cap in a black S2000 with large dual exhaust tips, going about 60mph. I see (and hear) this guy all the time in the Hillsboro area but for the first time had the opportunity to test him. Saw an open stretch coming up so I dropped into 3rd gear and quickly pulled alongside into the right lane. I was surprised at how easy it was to pull up nose-to-nose since it was pretty obvious he was trying to keep me from passing. I figure I just got an earlier jump on him.
    So while we're side by side, still in 3rd I just floor it and shift to 4th at around 80mph and I'm slowly but surely pulling away. Okay I admit it, I hit the hazard lights after I was ahead by a few car lengths going about 95mph. I shut it down there.
    I look in the rearview mirror, give him a friendly wave, but the dude flips me off! He catches up a few seconds later and tries to return the favor but I just dropped back into 3rd gear and walk away through the middle of 4th gear. He catches back up and just follows right behind me for a while before pulling off at the next exit.

Few things to note:
    I was running only 14 PSI of boost (down from stage II max of 16.5) since I had totally forgot to switch boost maps on my AVC-R. If I had redlined 3rd gear it would also have been even less of a contest, but out of habit I shift before 6K. I hate over-revving & hitting fuel cut.

I guess the bottom-line here is a no-brainer: a WRX with UP/DP/catback/Unichip can easily pull away from a (lightly?) modified S2000 on the highway. At triple digit speeds however I think the S2000 would catch up due to its 6 spd and better aerodynamics.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good kill.
    I hate sour losers. I guess he didn't like the fact that your cheaper car out ran his... hehe.

It was the hazards. Some people do it to say "good race, dude", others "let's slow down" or "watch out, cop!"

However, it seems mostly used by ricers as a different way to give the bird. So, IOW, he likely thought you were a typical ricer saying "yo dude, I won! You're a loser! Hahahahaha!."

That's why I don't do it: too easily misinterpreted. I did it once at the track after an LS1 who beat me did it to me. The next LS1, that I did beat, got my hazards.

Padre

I have to agree with Padre about the hazards. I fell like when someone throws on their hazards it's kinda like a slap in the face. Thumbs up is a much better signal in my opinion.

I've done the hazard thing before, but it kind of sucks because it makes me feel as if I'm saying I broke it or something.

Good kill to bad he didn't take it well. One question for ya, where do you have your AVC-R mounted? I wanna get one but I want a clean install of it somewhere and I can't pick a spot. Its the Apex display right (don't wanna ask this and be dealing with the wrong part )?
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

Good Kill! I don't like hazards though.

I second that, thumb up is a more postive gesture
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Yes, blinking the hazards was unnecessary but I'm kind of glad I did since it probably instigated that second chance for me to measure up against that S2K... didn't mean to come off as a prick though. I just hope that that guy wasn't just a lousy driver. And I can understand his being pissed at getting walked by a S U B A R U

Low-risk opportunities, relatively speaking, like this against decent competition around the Portland area are pretty rare so I take what I can get. Only on the highway though, when it's clear & void of other traffic.

sunkist: I have the Apex display mounted on this thing:

Got it from http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?...0&category=186
    Originally got the idea from riftswrx over at i-club. It works great.

ahh I see, thanks idyllwild
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G