My new car versus my old car

This is a discussion on My new car versus my old car within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just sold a modified 89 Carrera (280hp, 2650lbs wet, that's more hp/pound than a 930). Have a look at http://hypernexinc.com/car.html ...

My new car versus my old car

Just sold a modified 89 Carrera (280hp, 2650lbs wet, that's more hp/pound than a 930). Have a look at http://hypernexinc.com/car.html for some pics.
    Was feeling low but I am feeling better with a new silver WRX sedan being picked up soon. I chose it over a 97 low mileage M3. Simply put: More fun, more tunable at lower cost, no winter time dilema, and no image thing (at least with us over 40 types). Time to buy some SSR's, 225's, a helmet and run some Solo II

No, a stock WRX wouldn't come close to beating my modified Carrera in a 1/4 mile race but with no limited slip the 911 easily broke loose if coming off a turn with too much power (even with 255/40 17's in back). A really tough car to handle near its limit. The WRX is a dream car compared to the older Carrera's and a 996 runs a mere $76k for better handling. I think not.

Please tell me I am not the only guy in here over 40. Don't want to get an old man complex . I had my first 914 in 1979 so I guess that dates me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: My new car versus my old car

Originally posted by targadave
    I chose it over a 97 low mileage M3. Simply put: More fun, more tunable at lower cost, no winter time dilema, and no image thing (at least with us over 40 types). Time to buy some SSR's, 225's, a helmet and run some Solo II

No, a stock WRX wouldn't come close to beating my modified Carrera in a 1/4 mile race but with no limited slip the 911 easily broke loose if coming off a turn with too much power (even with 255/40 17's in back). A really tough car to handle near its limit. The WRX is a dream car compared to the older Carrera's and a 996 runs a mere $76k for better handling. I think not.

Please tell me I am not the only guy in here over 40. Don't want to get an old man complex . I had my first 914 in 1979 so I guess that dates me.
    I like you already. You're not the ONLY one here over forty, but you are definitely in the minority. I'd say >90% of our members at 18 to 35.

My favorite car companies in order: Subaru, Nissan, Porsche.

I want a 914 and 911 GT2, although I'd take a 996 Turbo too.

Welcome to the club!

-Jim
    Last edited by PlatinumWRX; 05-06-2002 at 07:13 PM.

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    i just went to your website w/ the pics of the porsche - WOW, that is one beautiful car! it looks just awesome the amazing condition the car is in.

hope you have just as much fun (and more!) w/ your wrx
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Talking

36 years young and counting....you old fart you.

Have fun. I have owned ALOT of diff cars, this is by far the most fun I have ever had in any of them (while they were moving that is).
    Don't flame. Be nice

Welcome to the forum. I just received my silver WRX sedan 2 weeks ago, and have to admit that it is one of the funnest cars I have ever driven. I will be selling my Supra TT with 400 RWHP as soon as it is out of the shop. I had alot of fun with it, but decided I wanted an AWD car

Dave
    02 WRX Platinum Silver sedan
    No mods yet...

Unhappy no m3

did you drive both? I am dieing to drive wrx. if so let me know how the compare. It will be a hell of alot cheaper modding. god damn 50$ oil changes not even at the dealer. bastards!
    99 m3

ecis cai
    jtd underpanel
    bridgestone S03's
    more to come!

M3 impressions

Drove a 99 M3 twice. Great balanced car in stock form in fair weather and on smooth roads. With 225's/245's and fairly stiff factory suspension settings, it will out handle a stock WRX on smooth dry stuff. Also has awesome stock brakes. If the WRX didn't exist I'd get a used stock 99 M3 with 30k miles for about $29k, nurse it through the winter (blizzaks and sand bags in the trunk), and stick to good roads. On the other hand a WRX with $5k in mods should walk over the stock M3

In the sloppy stuff; rain and lousy road surface the M3 is not as fun and those rear tires want to break loose if your right foot is too aggressive. M3 mod's like my Porsche mod's cost a bloody fortune. A 3.6 liter swap into my old Carrera (by prev owner) cost $18k, all for 60 added hp! Sway bars, torsion bars, and bushings for a Carrera are $3k! An M3 supercharger will cost about $8-10k installed.

Beautiful Porsche! I can't get over how great the condition it's in. BTW, welcome aboard the board! Look forward to seeing what you can do with the rex.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion