Suprising outcome with a Z28 SS Camaro.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Suprising outcome with a Z28 SS Camaro. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I say it's suprising becuase this was when I was in Iowa (road tripped there) ~ sea level and I ...

Suprising outcome with a Z28 SS Camaro.

I say it's suprising becuase this was when I was in Iowa (road tripped there) ~ sea level and I was expecting the race to be a LOT closer. So anyway I just got done taking a friend of mine for a ride (he owns a NA 300Z) and he was VERY impressed with the car. So I was on my way back to pick up my girlfriend when I saw a newer SS Camaro with 3 guys in it. We played a little but then caught this PERFECT light going out of town.

So we talk for a bit and he said "he was pretty much stock" and I told him I wasn't stock period. He also commented on my Wilwood brakes as well... I am thinking pretty cool guy but his friends are laughing like they "know they are gonna whoop me". So before the light turns the driver tells me that I will probably get him off the launch.

First off let me just interject here for a second. To all those people who think the WRX is hard to launch. COME TO THE MOUNTAINS or altitudes of 5000+ ft above sea level. I "think" the WRX is SO MUCH easier to launch at sea level becuase you have so much more off boost power.

Anyway so the light goes and I launch around 5k rpms and he just spins his tires for a while = 2 car lengths at least, from there too about 100mph I steadily pull away from him. ALL THE WAY. At 100mph I would say I had about 5-6 car lengths on him. I was VERY suprised. I could only imagine what the result would have been like if we were at altitude. Granted he had 2 guys with him I had quite a bit of crap in the car from road tripping.

But anyway it sure made my night , mostly becuase in Nebraska, Iowa, midwest there are NOT very many import cars, ESPECIALLY fast ones.

Oh btw, instead of listing my mods, I will just say at Cobb I put down 265whp and 230wtq on their mustang dyno.
    Stock 2004 WRX STi
    Java Black on Silver

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

NICE KILL!

What's your "slightly non-stock" WRX run in the 1/4?

-Jim

In the current state of tune that it is in I honestly don't know. What I can tell you is this. Before the STi injectors, Unichip custom tune at Cobb I ran it in Phoenix (1250 ft. above sea level) and Pueblo Co (~4000ft. above sea level). Both of these places I had the same mods and "state of tune".

In Phoenix I ran a 13.5@100 with a 2.0 60' and in Pueblo I ran a 13.8@98 with a 2.196 60'. So as you can easily tell the biggest problem is the driver . If and when i can get my 60's down the low 13's would have been mine.

I am really guesstimating here, since I didn't dyno the car before the injectors and unichip (no time at Cobb... he's a busy guy [heh]), I would "estimate" I was making 280-300hp at the crank and after the dyno tune I was making 265whp so if you assume 25% drivetrain loss that's about a 50-70hp increase at the crank. Just guessing. I know my car makes more power than the 320hp Cobb kit (becuase he showed me how my dyno compared) and that kit is good for high 12's. I would assume that now with even a 2.0 60' I might beable to hit low 13's up here at Pueblo if everything is good.. If I can get sub 2.0 60' I think 12's would be mine ... oh yes someday they will be mine .
    Stock 2004 WRX STi
    Java Black on Silver

42 psi front, 40 psi rear

Still at those kind of elevations, a sub 2.0s 60' time is still going to be hard to pull off.

My track is 60' above sea level, that's right sixty feet.

Good luck with your car and your driving!

-Jim

Hey what's up with the tranny on your car? I heard that suby trannies don't hold up to anything over 250-300bhp. What do you think hommie? Is that true or is yours stock!(tranny)

I don't think you have to worry about HP so much. What you want to look at is the TORQUE!!! Torque is what breaks things. Granted I am still putting out 230tq at the wheels which is roughly 310ft. lbs with 25% dt loss.

That is why I slip and try and let the clutch take all the abuse . I am still running stock tranny and stock clutch. I am planning on putting a lightened flywheel to help out the tranny even more in the future... and at that time I will replace the clutch with... you guessed it another stock clutch . Death to clutches before tranny's [heh].

Oh and I have heard that the stock tranny is VERY GOOD up too 280ftlbs. at the flywheel. With me around 310ftlbs I baby my car a "little bit" [heh].
    Stock 2004 WRX STi
    Java Black on Silver

Originally posted by davidm_sh
    I don't think you have to worry about HP so much. What you want to look at is the TORQUE!!! Torque is what breaks things. Granted I am still putting out 230tq at the wheels which is roughly 310ft. lbs with 25% dt loss.

That is why I slip and try and let the clutch take all the abuse . I am still running stock tranny and stock clutch. I am planning on putting a lightened flywheel to help out the tranny even more in the future... and at that time I will replace the clutch with... you guessed it another stock clutch . Death to clutches before tranny's [heh].

Oh and I have heard that the stock tranny is VERY GOOD up too 280ftlbs. at the flywheel. With me around 310ftlbs I baby my car a "little bit" [heh].
    Agreed. I plan to do the same thing. The stock clutch will be taking a lot of abuse at 300HP, but it's better to have a slipping clutch than a broken second gear!

-Jim

David, nice job. I've surprised quite a few f-bodies myself. But a well driven LS1 can still take me. But if he underestimates me... hehe.

I know the problems of altitude as well (4100ft in El Paso), but I can still get 1.8x 60's with my automatic. I was reading a thread from Nathan (nmyeti) on that other club who helped a guy get some excellent 60's. Look around and practice. It can be done and you'll be in the real real low 13s at sea level, maybe better.

BTW, I put down 242 at Cobb, with my TC slipping in 3rd. Love that place.

Padre

Re: Suprising outcome with a Z28 SS Camaro.

Originally posted by davidm_sh
    He also commented on my Wilwood brakes as well...
    Hey David, How do you like your Wilwoods? I am having whoel kti front/rear's put on as we speak.

So far so good. I am having a little issue with them, but I am going to wait till I find out whats going on before I comment on them for good. But up to this point . They are muy bueno [heh].
    Stock 2004 WRX STi
    Java Black on Silver

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.