WRX Vs. Tree!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Vs. Tree! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm still shaking Well it's raining here and I was just admiring how good our cars do in the rain. ...

Unhappy WRX Vs. Tree!

I'm still shaking

Well it's raining here and I was just admiring how good our cars do in the rain. I was making a left turn out of the parking lot at my job, onto a two lane road and I punched it. Big Mistake!!! Halfway through the turn my rear end started sliding, almost like I was doing a donut or something it swung around so fast. I let off the gas with no luck, I was still rotating at this point I did a complete 180 and was heading towards the median, which is covered with trees and bushes. I'm like holy sh**, slam on the brakes, with no love. I go head-on over the curb with a tree in my cross-hairs The tree is now under my car, it wasn't real big only like 2" in diameter and about 7-8 feet tall with two posts holding it up. So there I am, front tires on one side of the street, rears on the other, with a tree, two 6 ft posts, and bushes under my car. I'm not even sure if my fronts were on the ground. I had to get out of there fast since it's across the street from my office. I slam into reverse, say a prayer, and give it some gas. I feel my wheels slipping so I punch it, branches and leaves are flying up in the air! I barely made it out and boned out of there quick. I drove up the street and checked out my car, no damage!!! Just a little scuff on the bottom of the bumper that I can probably rub out and a bunch of leaves and sticks in the area in front of my radiator. Thank god for "The beauty of AWD!"

Needless to say I won!

I don't know what I could of done differently, with the exception of not thinking my car is invincible.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

c1k
    Ha nice escape.

sounds like u didn't know how to correct the fish tale

someone correct me here if something's off, but i think you shoulda been turning into the spin. once u feel some grip, you shoulda gave it some gas to get out of the spin. it's almost like drifting

releasing the gas was a mistake
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Originally posted by capt'n'caveman
    sounds like u didn't know how to correct the fish tale

someone correct me here if something's off, but i think you shoulda been turning into the spin. once u feel some grip, you shoulda gave it some gas to get out of the spin. it's almost like drifting

releasing the gas was a mistake
    Yeah, I agree releasing gas was a mistake, but I was thinking I should have turned against the spin and maybe just let off the gas a bit. The only problem was the street was narrow and I was rotating very quickly. I think if I turned into it I would have done a 360.

Crap!!! My buddy just pointed out a dent, about the size of a baseball, it's above my bumper on the passenger side, between the turn signal light and the wheelwell. It looks like it was from one of the posts! I hope I can pop it back out...
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:

yeah, the back end has a tendency to come out very fast sometimes in first gear. The first time it happened to me I almost wet myself... As for letting off the gas, I just let off till I stop rotating and then give it a little to pull the car straight again.

i had a very similar experience in gravel. i floored it doing a Uturn in first gear. I let off the gas (doh) which made me fishtail a bit too far, then i gave it some gas, fishtailed again the other way but much less fistailing, then more gas, went the other way. almost got myself out of it until i realized i was going to be going too fast so i braked (doh again). needless to say, ABS made my stopping distance like 1000x worse (ABS + gravel = ). didn't hit anything but i wasn't in control, that's for sure.

cnk
    Never let off the gas in a AWD car. You'll transfer too much weight to the front and cause the rear end to kick loose. Also known as snap oversteer. You should just look where you want the car to go and step on the gas to accelerate out of the turn. Try practicing in a empty lot the next time it rains so that you'll be more prepared for it next time. I did my practice in the snow last winter.

Calvin

I had a similiar experince with my WRX just without the tree. It was late night and raining and i was on a 2 lane highway alone. i got cocky and swang the car a little bit to make it fish tail. i did it once and controlled it fine. The next time i did it i swung to hard and I fishtailed too much this time and i couldnt correct it. I ended up doing two 360 spins on the road doing about 60mph and then into a muddy field. Scared the sh*t out of me!!! Luckliy AWD got me out of the muddy field.
    02 Blue WRX Sedan<---Gone but not Forgotten!!!!
    05 WR Blue WRX Sti <---- coming soon

IMO releasing the gas may have been a good move. Hear me out on this. It all depends on how fast he was going, to initiate lift throttle oversteer you need to have both momentum and speed (usually a fair amount).

And when hearing this story, i take it being in first etc that he was not going fast enough, and he was not carrying speed into a turn etc (where LTO would play a large role). It all depends on speed etc plus how fast the ass end came out. If given more detaisl as to the nature of the slide etc (variables) we could make a proper analysis etc.

Your best bet would have been to release the gas or modulate it while countersteering, mainly i feel this was a lack of counter steer.

My advice to you would be to find a large open parking lot with blacktop, wait till it rains and then go learn the car there. Basically do a skidpad test (go around in a circle and punch it so the ass end comes out and try to control it etc ).

I myself had a situation like this. Low speed 1st gear punched it in the rain, rear became loose as expected, kept it in line while maintaining throttle, brought it back in and recieved a sudden case of snap oversteer. I would have had it (started to come back in line) but there wasnt enough room so instead i jumped a curb at about 40 and ended up in a ditch, and like you i practically did no damage other then a blown tire.

Anyways congrats on the 0 damage, but i would recommend maybe checking your alignment (mine was off after the curb). Now youve got the trees runnin scared .
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

My daily driver before the Rex:

It didn't fair quite as well (neither did I). Hoping to avoid the same situation in the rex

VV

About an hour ago, I drove by the tree, there were cops there directing traffic and they had the area coned off where the tree was blocking the left turn lane! I don't know if something else happened there or what. I better keep my car in stealth mode for a while. At least as far as I know, no one saw my lumberjack handywork!

I just wen't by it again, cops were gone, and the tree is standing again at about 75 degree angle....
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Hahaha, its like a tree homicide .

Yet another use for a subaru.
    -Great launches
    -great traction, wet dry etc
    -they make great lumberjacks
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

Originally posted by VetteVert
    My daily driver before the Rex:

It didn't fair quite as well (neither did I). Hoping to avoid the same situation in the rex

VV
    Christ almighty! Hope you were wearin' your seat belt No offense to Dodge, but you made a better choice with your current car

It was actually a mitsubishi, and I give it all the credit in the world. By all accounts that should have killed me, but it didn't. Won't see me dissin it any time soon Like I said, hopefully I won't get to find out how the impreza will fair, but according to crash test ratings it should do well (but not many crash tests are done with a tree entering the car at the a-pillar).

VV

Originally posted by eVilsAint
    Christ almighty! Hope you were wearin' your seat belt No offense to Dodge, but you made a better choice with your current car

Registered User ForcedInduction's Avatar
    Originally posted by VetteVert
    It was actually a mitsubishi
    Why does it say "DODGE" on the back? Did you replace the tailgate on it?

Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.