stock WRX wagon vs 330ci
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on stock WRX wagon vs 330ci within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have an 04 wagon completely stock with just under 3k on the odometer. I was out cruising on Sunday ...

stock WRX wagon vs 330ci

I have an 04 wagon completely stock with just under 3k on the odometer. I was out cruising on Sunday when a 330ci pulls up at the line and revs.

I have never raced the rex before because it's so new, but I figured what the hell, i'd give him a run.

I didn't even launch hard, but slipped the clutch at around 3k. Still, my r/t was better than his so I had him off the line. I was pulling away from him all the way through 3rd gear. I guess I should have shut down then, because as soon as we hit 80 he started pulling and never looked back. We both shut down over 100 and I had no chance. I guess the lesson in that is don't keep the race over 80mph. LOL.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

nice race, 330's have a strong pull up top whereas our cars do not. so yeah next time shut down after third. haha. nice death.
    07 STi Cobb AP2, TBE, Kartboy, RCE

all german cars do.

i "raced" my friend in a 97 VR6 passat(the boxy ones) from about 70 and he just kept on pulling because of how week 4th and 5th are.

Originally posted by emosubaru
    all german cars do.

i "raced" my friend in a 97 VR6 passat(the boxy ones) from about 70 and he just kept on pulling because of how week 4th and 5th are.
    All german cars definetely do. I totally got pulled by a beetle from a roll last...wait no I didn't.

Blanket statements suck more than emo.
    02' WRX

i dunno, emo sucks a lot
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

Originally posted by emosubaru
    all german cars do.

4th is not that great but 5th is definitely NOT for racing. BTW emo its amazing how much cleaner the GDA impreza looks without a hoodscoop. The eylids work well too. Props!
    02 WRX Silver, 03 Baja Yellow

Having had a 01 330i before the 2004 WRX, i can tell you, above 70 it would give a WRX a good run, but remember they are governed to around 130 just as the WRX is. I see a lot people post on here about how the WRX is so weak top end.

I raced a Chrysler 300M (yea i know big deal) from a roll at 80 to about 120ish. He was barely a sight the whole time. This went on at 2am on the PA turnpike. He tried me three times and each time i dropped from 5th to 4th and was gone...Just my two cents.
    I basically chuckled the whole time.

ps-my car is stock.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mabf355
    [B]Having had a 01 330i before the 2004 WRX, i can tell you, above 70 it would give a WRX a good run, but remember they are governed to around 130 just as the WRX is. I see a lot people post on here about how the WRX is so weak top end.

According to the car mags a stock WRX is slightly quicker through the quarter mile, with both cars trapping in the 90's. WRX's tend to be slow in the 90-100 range as it's necessary to shift to 4th and it takes a bit to get back "on the boil"...and 4th is quite tall. A stock WRX (manual trans) is limited to 148, not 130, and most cars will actually run 143 on a level road. By comparison a US 330 is limited to 130 , unless it's a 2004 with a "sport package" in which case it's limited to something like 148.

good points.

even though our engines have more power, they put down more power to the wheels because of our awd. Their gearing and aerodynamics make up for such a diffrence on top end. So moral of the story, quit while you are winning in a wrx and keep racing until you win in the bmw. Win Win situation here.

had I gotten a better launch the race would've been even closer.

I still have the feeling he would've reeled me in by my shift into 4th.

Another thing to factor in is the awesome gear ratios the bmws have. The gear ratios are matched well to the engine (psh, come on, 4th gear for our WRXs is a joke). Nothing like having a 5th gear ratio of 1:1.

Originally posted by Impreza01
    Another thing to factor in is the awesome gear ratios the bmws have. The gear ratios are matched well to the engine (psh, come on, 4th gear for our WRXs is a joke). Nothing like having a 5th gear ratio of 1:1.
    4th gear a joke? For what, drag racing??? I love having a 4th gear that allows for rapid acceleration between 100 and 125...a very useful feature for high speed road work. To say that "BMW's have awesome gear ratios" is just plain silly. Every single BMW is geared differently. There is no consistent thread.

Originally posted by dangrass
    4th gear a joke? For what, drag racing??? I love having a 4th gear that allows for rapid acceleration between 100 and 125...a very useful feature for high speed road work. To say that "BMW's have awesome gear ratios" is just plain silly. Every single BMW is geared differently. There is no consistent thread.
    AMEN!! AMEN AMEN!... This guy takes after my heart.

4th gear on the stock car is a little long, and as a result, you tend to drop out of the powerband when you hit it on a stock turbo's car. But with a nice turbo upgrade, 4th gear is a very nice gear for laying down the spanking. You just downshift into it, and just ride it all the way to 120mph..

4th gear isn't bad.... The stock car just doesn't make enough power to pull it! When you have enough power to pull that gear is nice!!

If you think that WRX has odd gearing, check out the Lambo Gallardo.... 1st gear in that car takes you to over 60mph, with 2nd gear to over 100mph... Now, the reason why the car is not called a sluggish pig is because the car makes wnough power to pull those gears! That can't be said about a stock WRX though.... You just need to make more power....
    Last edited by jigga; 11-14-2003 at 07:43 AM.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Originally posted by Mabf355
    I raced a Chrysler 300M (yea i know big deal) from a roll at 80 to about 120ish. He was barely a sight the whole time. This went on at 2am on the PA turnpike. He tried me three times and each time i dropped from 5th to 4th and was gone...Just my two cents.
    I basically chuckled the whole time.
    Don't you just love the turnpike Makes it worth the toll when you can get a nice run in.
    '02 Dakota 5.9 R/T
    Intercooled Novi-2K

dangrass
    Uh, look at the BMW cars gear ratios. They're a lot closer than our cars. Nearly all BMW manuals have a 1.00:1 5th gear ratio. Don't believe me? Check it up...
    http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/

Look at the ratios the Japanese or Australians get, and you'll see why I think our 4th gear ratio is dumb. it's like a second overdrive ratio. Any ratio below a 1.00:1 is usually reserved for overdrive.

Want even further proof our gears suck overall? Look at the forestor XT. One of the big reasons it out accelerates our WRX is due to its closer gear ratios.

What I'm typing about is in terms of stock vs stock. Modded, one can make a good powerband for the gears. Stock? Please, having a 4th gear ratio of 0.972 with a final drive of 3.900 is dumb. There is a reason that the WRX had noticeable faster accelerations in Australia after converting to ratios from what we now have to ratios Japan has.

Lastly, I'll just use the proof everyone seems to use, personal experience: my father owns a 330i and its gears always have a nice pull from whatever rpms compared to the WRX. During highway speeds, when I have to pass cars in a jiffy, I don't even drop to 4th when driving that car (I drive at 65 mph, so that will make a big difference compared to someone who drives at say 100 mph where the WRXs at max torque at 4k rpm).

jigga
    4th gear isn't bad.... The stock car just doesn't make enough power to pull it! When you have enough power to pull that gear is nice!!
    I was referring to a stock WRX. When you say the car doesn't have enough power to pull it, that means the gear ratio is not fit for the engine. Like I said, there's a reason why in Australia, they changed the gear ratios after complaints and sales drop.
    Last edited by Impreza01; 11-15-2003 at 08:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.