stock WRX wagon vs 330ci - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on stock WRX wagon vs 330ci within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Lastly, I'll just use the proof everyone seems to use, personal experience: my father owns a 330i and its gears ...

Lastly, I'll just use the proof everyone seems to use, personal experience: my father owns a 330i and its gears always have a nice pull from whatever rpms compared to the WRX. During highway speeds, when I have to pass cars in a jiffy, I don't even drop to 4th when driving that car (I drive at 65 mph, so that will make a big difference compared to someone who drives at say 100 mph where the WRXs at max torque at 4k rpm).

Er, the reason the 330 accelerates well at 65 in 5th is that it's got torque lower down than the WRX. Since both the WRX and the 330 are turning about 2,500 RPM at 65, it would seem that the wonderful BMW gearing you refer to is equally wonderful on a WRX. The difference is that the BMW has lots of torque at 2,500 RPM while the WRX is just coming on boost. Try the same experiment at 3,500 RPM and the answer is different. I recommend that your either downshift or cruise at 75 so that you don't have to downshift.

But, it could be worse. My now-departed 2001 C5 turned about 1,500 RPM at 60 in 6th....330's would routinely leave it for dead in roll-on's at 60. Of course if one downshifted to 5th the outcome was significantly different. Then, of course, one could downshift to 4th (which was good for 135) or 3rd (which was good for 105), or even 2nd (if you wanted to risk wheelspin while accelerating on the freeway).

Bottom line...gearing is there to optimize for a number of variables, including gas mileage and engine longevity. There is nothing better (or worse) about a BMW's gearing that anyone else's. If you really want strong top gear acceleration without downshifting you might try an STi as they are considerably more optimized than a WRX for acceleration....considerably more so than most BMWs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey dome, was it my friends 330ci? (the greenish one with the s.e. decals...although he might have taken them off by now)

Speaking of which I JUST ran into a 325ci on my way home. Guy was seemed really cool too, not cocky or pissed off like most of the BMW owners I run into are.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Originally posted by SERacing
    Hey dome, was it my friends 330ci? (the greenish one with the s.e. decals...although he might have taken them off by now)

Speaking of which I JUST ran into a 325ci on my way home. Guy was seemed really cool too, not cocky or pissed off like most of the BMW owners I run into are.
    Nah it was a silver one. Looked and sounded stock.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by dangrass
    If you really want strong top gear acceleration without downshifting you might try an STi as they are considerably more optimized than a WRX for acceleration....considerably more so than most BMWs.
    You are correct sir! 330 CI is no competition for an STi. See below

STi vs BMW 330 CI and stang GT all in one day!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Originally posted by Impreza01
    During highway speeds, when I have to pass cars in a jiffy, I don't even drop to 4th when driving that car (I drive at 65 mph, so that will make a big difference compared to someone who drives at say 100 mph where the WRXs at max torque at 4k rpm).
    Part of the reason why you need to downshift in a WRX is because of gearing, but it is mostly because of the nature of the engine itself. Don't forget that while you are criusing, it becomes a low compression 4 cylinder engine.... This means that it ain't a torque monster by any means while in this state... In order to make torque (and hence HP) with these engines, you need to SPIN them.... A low compression 2.0L engine will need it a lot more than a 3.0L straight six engine, since it has more displacement, higher compression while in cruise, and more cylinders to work with. 4 Cylinder cars will ALWAYS need to spin faster than 6 cylinder cars in order to make their power...

Take a look at the S2K... They need to downshift like mad in order to get out of their own way! It's simply because their engines NEED to spin to higher speeds in order to make the power...

With an aftermarket turbo that is able to keep up with the needs of the engine, (and an ECU that doesn't drop my boost as the revs climb), I don't need to downshift as often as I did while on the stock turbo while travelling at high speeds...

At lower speeds, I need to downshift in order to get into my powerband, which is now from about 4K rpms to fuel cut...

I do agree with you though that the stock WRX is not matched all that well to it's stock gears... Almost like buying a kid clothes that are too big for him/her.....one NEEDS a bigger turbo in order to 'grow' into the car's stock gearing...
    Last edited by jigga; 11-20-2003 at 05:14 AM.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12