Are MR2's really this fast??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Are MR2's really this fast?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was talking to a guy who has a MR2 (turbocharged one). He said that with just a DP, exhaust, ...

Are MR2's really this fast??

I was talking to a guy who has a MR2 (turbocharged one). He said that with just a DP, exhaust, and boost controller running 17-19 psi on a stock turbo and running racefuel he can trap at 114 MPH. I dont know if I believe this, that MPH seems way too high for the mods he said he had. What do you guys think?
    Sold: 2002 WRX
    w/VS0 best of 13.5 at 97.5

New: 2003 Silverado

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know a guy on a stock clipped turbo with all bolt-ons and a profec(around 17psi) in the high 12's i dont know his trapspeed though. surprisingly before he got his turbo clipped, I pulled on him after 2nd gear. He didn't seem to have much of a top end.

we're talking about the old one, right? then yeah...it's possible. My friend has a 95 w/ Japanese-spec turbo engine that's rated somewhere in 370-380 to the crank.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

Is the Jap spec turbo and engine any different than the USDM one? It seems like a lot for the USDM MR2 to push 370-380 at the crank with just a DP, exhaust, and boost controller. If so I didnt know those things could produce that much HP for such a little investment in mods. Its only a 2.0L engine with a little turbo, right?
    Sold: 2002 WRX
    w/VS0 best of 13.5 at 97.5

New: 2003 Silverado

Last I checked the U.S MR2 turbo only made 200hp stock. It takes more mods then turbo back and MBC to hit 370-380hp at the crank. I've raced some guy with my 02 WRX with stock setting boost(but with turboxs HPmbc) and only beat him 1-2 car from a stop to 120mph. Whatever I had him at the launch, I held that out til 120. All his MR2 had was turbo back exhaust and EBC set to 21psi. We also ran at 30mph to 120mph and I immediatly pulled 1/2 car but like 3 seconds later he just flew by(my front bumper to his back bumper) and held it to 120mph. Those MR2 turbo's are pretty quick if you ask me!

Originally posted by FrankW
    we're talking about the old one, right? then yeah...it's possible. My friend has a 95 w/ Japanese-spec turbo engine that's rated somewhere in 370-380 to the crank.
    the highest output stock jdm 3sgte is rated at 255hp. Most likely that is understated but i highly doubt a turbo 2.0 makes 380 from the factory also considering thats more power than toyota has rated any factory supra

He bought the engine from Japan and brought it back, so I have no idea about the detail. All I know is that thing is super powerful w/ a really huge turbo. Just from the look of the engine you could say that's a race ready engine. It is a brand new engine when he bought it btw.

gotta keep in mind that the Supra TwinTurbo was underrated in Japan and in US. Also, w/ mod those thing can top 6-700 hp with ease.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

I can actually answer this with some authority I have a 1991 MR2 Turbo as well as a REX. My MR2 has an HKS Sport Turbo, Downpipe, HKS Boost Controller, HKS Intake, HKS Fuel Regulator, HKS Exhaust, Greddy Intercooler, Greddy BOV. It has been dynoed at 290 at the wheels.

They can be really fast with "minor" mods. I have run a guy in town with an upgraded turbo and some minor mods and we are pretty equal.

here we go again....

JDM MR2 GenIII turbo ('93-) uses the same turbo as the allmighty SUPRA. 300 rwhp is realistics with catless, boost controller and SAFC. Figure the safc is worth 30-40 at most. 11.9 has been run with a JDM MR2 on stock turbo. This one was making 317 ish RWHP.

A ridiculously good motor. All the goodies put in one package, including plug and play EMS = ownage.
    '03 white rex

i can speak with some experience here since i know 2 people that own turbo mr-2's and i myself almost bought one, but couldnt find one with good miles in my price range.

first off, stock they are good for mid - high 14's. the original person that started this thread didnt say anything about having a jdm upgrade so i wont get into that.

i am not sure about trap speeds, but my friend with a 91' mr-2 with basic mods like, turbo back, mbc, intake ran a 13.5 e.t. so those mods took off over a second. i forget how high psi he was running, but its an everyday boost setting so it cant be rediculously high.

these cars mod almost as good as supras, and weigh very little with almost perfect weight distribution. with upgraded turbo and bolt on's mid-300whp rating can be seen. you may think i am a bit bias because i think this is one of best built cars for project build ups to come to the USA, but if you have been around them you know what i am talking about.

as for a 114mph trap, thats pretty high for those mods. but these cars, much like the supra have excellent top end and only pull harder the faster they go. but a 114mph trap would prolly equal out to a mid 12sec e.t. which could be possible on 19psi and race fuel. but i could be wrong
    Last edited by DTR rex; 11-16-2003 at 12:36 PM.

MR2 turbos use the CT26 turbo that the mk3 (87-92) Supra turbo used. In stock form this turbo isn't good for much more than 300-320 hp with all other supporting mods. Makes for a pretty quick lightweight mid-engine car. A 114 trap speed is probably possible with alot of wheelspin off the line.
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

I ran one Sat. night!!!

Wow...he pulled pretty well on me. WRX wagon w/catback vs. MR2 w/turbo upgrade and not sure what else.

2 runs...1st run was from a roll in 3rd gear at ~45mph. We both took off at the same time...slowly inched on me till I shifted and that was it. He started pulling fast. We hit a red light and went again.

2nd run...from a stop. I baby my tranny so he had a good 1/2 car off the bat and kept pulling. By the end of 3rd, he had 3-4 MR2-lengths on me. We stopped at a red...asked him what he had done. All I heard was "TD06" got a thumbs up and he turned off. Definite sleeper...no visual mods at all...exhaust even looked stock (I think it was stock). When he opened up the window, I saw his A-pillar filled with gauges (didn't notice before cuz his windows were tinted). Good run...cool guy...
    Thanks to ACI Sports for their support.

Depending on whether he had the 1800 dollar bolton TD06 or the 3500 dollar externally wastegated TD06-L2, that's 300-400 RWHP...
    '03 white rex

a stock USDM MR2T puts down around 160rwhp, to get 300+whp youd have to be making probably close to 400bhp which would require some serious mods. also the later JDM motors i believe came with a CT20b and were making around 245-255bhp

the launch on one of those cars is probably as good if not maybe better than a WRX, with the RWD and mid engine layout those things launch hard and very quickly and dont suffer the kind of drivetrain loss our cars do. even my NA 92 i had could out launch just about anything i ever raced

but to answer your initial question yes they are that fast but trapping 114mph with just a turboback and mbc is pretty off
    It is better to have others think that you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

02 WRX 44k - sold 2/28/5
    96 Corolla 128k
    92 Corolla 160k
    88 Accord 208k
    90 Voyager 242k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast