Are MR2's really this fast?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Are MR2's really this fast?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; http://www.dspmedia.net/movies/turbo.mpg check out that mr2. Heres the thread at rx7club This has nothing todo with the topic but hey that ...

http://www.dspmedia.net/movies/turbo.mpg check out that mr2. Heres the thread at rx7club

This has nothing todo with the topic but hey that rx7 and mr2 are badass..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by JeremyL
    a stock USDM MR2T puts down around 160rwhp, to get 300+whp youd have to be making probably close to 400bhp which would require some serious mods. also the later JDM motors i believe came with a CT20b and were making around 245-255bhp

the launch on one of those cars is probably as good if not maybe better than a WRX, with the RWD and mid engine layout those things launch hard and very quickly and dont suffer the kind of drivetrain loss our cars do. even my NA 92 i had could out launch just about anything i ever raced
    Just to clarify really quickly <-- TD06MR2
    300rwhp is not hard to get in an MR2, if I turned up the boost I could hit it (but I wont due to being safe) but most MR2's typically will need about 350~360ish bhp to hit 300rwhp, we do not have an overly large loss of power through the drivetrain.

Another point of note the CT26 on an MR2 is NOT good for 300hp, its exhaust housing is too small (and it is a different CT26 than that of the supra's) also, like a WRX it fall FLAT on its face @ about 5500~6000rpms, NoShoes, one of the biggest MR2 tuners of late, could not get those numbers with a LARGE amount of mods (he was determined to see what the turbo could do)

MR2T - CT26 - 15psi (typically accepted boost #'s) w/ I-DP-Exhaust = roughly 230ish rwhp, #'s vary depending on other mods but that is the typicall rating for MR2's on stock turbo

MR2T TD06 or other "typical" turbo upgrades - 15-20psi = 250~350rwhp pretty "easily" ( easily meaning compared to other cars reaching for those numbers)

Yes I've pulled evo's on the highway
    But I'm selling the 2 for an STI now *hehe*

HTH
    Last edited by Silverbane; 11-29-2003 at 09:07 AM.
    Silverbane
    An expert at anything was once a beginner...
    Pic 91MR2 T TD06 250rwhp *sold*
    STI next?

Yup, I used to have an MR2 turbo.

It's more fun scaring your passenger by executing a ~1G launch though That and flooring it at your turbo's sweet spot in 1st and getting only a muffled chirp until all four wheel grab and haul
    '03 white rex

lift throttle and snap oversteer are a lot scarier than any launch lol

anyone who has ever owned any 91-92 MR2 will know exactly what im talking about
    It is better to have others think that you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

02 WRX 44k - sold 2/28/5
    96 Corolla 128k
    92 Corolla 160k
    88 Accord 208k
    90 Voyager 242k

Ah yes that 180 ebrake turn, I could do that by lifting at the top of 2nd gear
    '03 white rex

ahh yes =\
    a perfect 180 here, ended up facing the way I was coming from (luckily no traffic, I was playing around on an empty road)
    Top of 2nd just coming out of a corner + gas and TD06 = me vowing to never do that again
    Silverbane
    An expert at anything was once a beginner...
    Pic 91MR2 T TD06 250rwhp *sold*
    STI next?

or when youre right at the limit of traction on a ramp and you lift just a slight bit

or when you have a line all pegged out and you have to try to correct

yeah i ended up sideways and backwards in many an intersection and ramp with that car
    It is better to have others think that you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

02 WRX 44k - sold 2/28/5
    96 Corolla 128k
    92 Corolla 160k
    88 Accord 208k
    90 Voyager 242k

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12