WRX vs A4 1.8T
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs A4 1.8T within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I normally don't get too many opportunities to race around where I live, because the traffic is horrible and there ...

WRX vs A4 1.8T

I normally don't get too many opportunities to race around where I live, because the traffic is horrible and there are stoplights every 20 feet. This morning though, I was heading down towards the freeway when a A4 came up on my bumper and swerved around me to pass. Normally I dont really care, but this guy was being an ass.

I pulled up behind him, so I already had a big disadvantage. When the light went, I couldnt lauch either... obviously . He got about 2 1/2 cars ahead off the line, and I pulled into the next lane. Pulled a little bit back by the end of first. Shifted to second and just reeled him in. We were even by third, and I was pulling hard away from him till about 80 when I shut down. The guy wouldnt even look at me at the next light.

I figured an Audi would have more kick than that, but I just went to their website and found out its only 170hp. Would have thought the car would have more than that.

I'm stg 2.5 btw...
    2004 Silver WRX.
    TurboXS TBE with Prodrive Muffler - Godspeed Uppipe - UTEC - TUNA W/B - Steel Grey Rota Downshifts - VF35 - Pinks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

as an owner of an A4 1.8T, they're nothing to worry about for a WRX until they're fairly well modified.

I've got a chip, exhaust, suspension, etc. and I'm no real match for a stock wrx until we're at very high speeds. Then my gearing helps out a little.

Modded WRX? I'd get killed. I'd need a stage 3 type of kit to hang. They're about 280 crank hp.

Re: WRX vs A4 1.8T

Originally posted by dosage0
    I normally don't get too many opportunities to race around where I live, because the traffic is horrible and there are stoplights every 20 feet. This morning though, I was heading down towards the freeway when a A4 came up on my bumper and swerved around me to pass. Normally I dont really care, but this guy was being an ass.

I pulled up behind him, so I already had a big disadvantage. When the light went, I couldnt lauch either... obviously . He got about 2 1/2 cars ahead off the line, and I pulled into the next lane. Pulled a little bit back by the end of first. Shifted to second and just reeled him in. We were even by third, and I was pulling hard away from him till about 80 when I shut down. The guy wouldnt even look at me at the next light.

I figured an Audi would have more kick than that, but I just went to their website and found out its only 170hp. Would have thought the car would have more than that.

I'm stg 2.5 btw...
    The 1.8T is a POS un-modded. The only disadvantage a Rex has is it's gearbox (strong down low, bad in 4th and 5th). Those German cars might have top end gearing and power that could beat us, but were talking about the 1.8T, not the S4...

An Accord suprised me once on the highway. I was in 4th gear at about 60MPH and he jumped me. By the time I threw it in 3rd, (still a long gear for the Rex) and my turbo spooled, I was playing catch up. With an Accord! I was sort of embarrassed, but the guy must have known. I notioned for him to race me from a stop at the red light ahead. He and his GF (both laughing) made the next right off of the highway. Bastage! I would have took him from standing still!!!
    I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Originally posted by Griswold
    as an owner of an A4 1.8T, they're nothing to worry about for a WRX until they're fairly well modified.

I've got a chip, exhaust, suspension, etc. and I'm no real match for a stock wrx until we're at very high speeds. Then my gearing helps out a little.

Modded WRX? I'd get killed. I'd need a stage 3 type of kit to hang. They're about 280 crank hp.
    ok, I would like to say....Thank you for a VERY cool response!

You normally dont get this with a "competition" car owner. I am impressed!!!

I always loved the audi's, the look, the feel of the car on the road, everything..just cant afford one....at least not the one I want!!!!

Peace
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

Originally posted by skullguy

I always loved the audi's, the look, the feel of the car on the road, everything..just cant afford one....at least not the one I want!!!!

Peace

Lemme guess? A S4? Yep, that's the one I'd want too...
    I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Originally posted by skullguy

Peace
    Thanks.

The 1.8T is a very potent engine with the right amount of $$$. There are several that are running around with 320+ crank hp. It also has about a 300 lb weight advantage over the S4, so handling is quite a bit better.

Some people are stroking it out to 2.0L and getting some respectable numbers.

A 280hp APR stage 3 1.8T will outdrag a chipped S4 in the 1/4, so it's definitely got potential.

The difference with the 1.8T's over the WRX is the amount of money it takes to hit comparable performance. But, like everything, it's an apples to oranges comparison.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks.

The 1.8T is a very potent engine with the right amount of $$$. There are several that are running around with 320+ crank hp. It also has about a 300 lb weight advantage over the S4, so handling is quite a bit better.

Some people are stroking it out to 2.0L and getting some respectable numbers.

A 280hp APR stage 3 1.8T will outdrag a chipped S4 in the 1/4, so it's definitely got potential.

The difference with the 1.8T's over the WRX is the amount of money it takes to hit comparable performance. But, like everything, it's an apples to oranges comparison.

Cheers,

Dave
    Yep! I used to have a 2000 Jetta VR6. I dumped mad $$$ in to it and it wasn't even as fast as my Rex when that was stock. It only took a couple of bucks to make my WRX fast, and it's AWD too (then again, so is Audi). So if you have it, ($$$) spend it ($$$). In my opinion though, I'd rather get more bang for my $$$...

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Originally posted by 04EJ20
    Yep! I used to have a 2000 Jetta VR6. I dumped mad $$$ in to it and it wasn't even as fast as my Rex when that was stock. It only took a couple of bucks to make my WRX fast, and it's AWD too (then again, so is Audi). So if you have it, ($$$) spend it ($$$). In my opinion though, I'd rather get more bang for my $$$...

Yep. WRX is a great car. I've had my A4 since before WRX's were around, though.

Don't regret it. With my mods, it's got decent power, great handling, AWD, good looks and a great interior.

Would I like more power? Sure. I figure I'll wait till the puny K03 pops and strap on a bigger turbo.

It suits me for now. Course, I'm registered on this site, cause I almost made the swap. :-)

Yep. WRX is a great car. I've had my A4 since before WRX's were around, though.

Don't regret it. With my mods, it's got decent power, great handling, AWD, good looks and a great interior.

Would I like more power? Sure. I figure I'll wait till the puny K03 pops and strap on a bigger turbo.

It suits me for now. Course, I'm registered on this site, cause I almost made the swap. :-)
    Very cool man! The more the merrier!!!

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Dosage,

Nice run. With a chip/exhaust the A4s become quick enough for a daily driver. The 1.8s make so little power because Audi wants to keep a good hp spread with the V6 model. When the V6 gets a bump in power, the 1.8T does as well...silly but oh well. Very undertuned from the factory.

The big turbo A4s make ~320hp/300tq, and are good for low 13's...but its an expensive path The basic bolt on turbo upgrade is good for about 240hp/260tq...that upgrade can actually make 300tq with a J31 FMIC chip (that would make a wonderful daily driver setup).

Like Griswold, i like WRXs as well, though i have to say ive run 3 of em, and after beating them up they wouldn't line up with me at the next light.

In terms of S4...ive walked a chipped/exhausted S4 (although slowly).

In terms of the WRX v. A4, the WRX benefits from a couple nice things:
    1) better manifold design to bolt on good turbos
    2) a TMIC that is much better than the Audi's crappy SMIC

That said, the A4 has a much stronger tranny and better gearing...though i am thinking of getting the 2.8 V6's tranny to extend 3rd gear.

Cheers
    99.5 A4 1.8T28
    P.E.S. T28 Turbo Kit, Racetec Z-Flo FMIC, 1/8 Test Pipe w/Milltek Exhaust, Vortrag Hypercoil Springs over Bilstein Sports (450lb/500lb), W.O.A. Stage II Clutch, Racetec 4-pt Strut Brace, A.W.E. A Pillar Boost Gauge, Bailey BPV, Valeo E-Codes w/ Phillips 5300K H.I.D., APR Snubbie, Strat cartridge SSK, S4 Vented Wheel Liner, Brembo Rotors w/ Hawk HPS Pads(F)/EBC Greens(R), Denso Iridium IK-22's, Hella Supertones, O.Z. 17" SL's w/ Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's, Alpine CDA-7894, MB Quart QSD 213, Rockford Fosgate 501.1bd, Alpine SWR-1241D, P.P.I. A.400, 35% Llumar Charcoal tint, UUC RKII, RS-4 Grille.
    "Building boost, breakin hearts"

94 Miata C Package (a.k.a. Nougat)
    Flying Miata's FM2 intercooled GT28 turbo kit, Shiv fuel rail, AEM wideband O2, FM turbo exhaust, R.S. Aizawa Slash Intake Lid, KYB AGX's, HDHCDD 4-Point rollbar, FM NA clutch, FM F+R swaybars, Hella E-Code H4 Conversions, CRI Fogs, CRI Air Horns, Lewis Lumbars, Momo Monte Carlo, Rota Circuit 8's 15" with Toyo T1-S's, Pioneer Premier DEH-P440 with Infiniti Kappas 6 1/2 (doors), Infiniti Kappas 3 1/2 (headrests), some chrome bits, Voodoo.
    "It's not how fast you go, its how little you slow down...but 9.5hp/lb helps!"

Originally posted by Lawrider
    Dosage,

Nice run. With a chip/exhaust the A4s become quick enough for a daily driver. The 1.8s make so little power because Audi wants to keep a good hp spread with the V6 model. When the V6 gets a bump in power, the 1.8T does as well...silly but oh well. Very undertuned from the factory.

The big turbo A4s make ~320hp/300tq, and are good for low 13's...but its an expensive path The basic bolt on turbo upgrade is good for about 240hp/260tq...that upgrade can actually make 300tq with a J31 FMIC chip (that would make a wonderful daily driver setup).

Like Griswold, i like WRXs as well, though i have to say ive run 3 of em, and after beating them up they wouldn't line up with me at the next light.

In terms of S4...ive walked a chipped/exhausted S4 (although slowly).

In terms of the WRX v. A4, the WRX benefits from a couple nice things:
    1) better manifold design to bolt on good turbos
    2) a TMIC that is much better than the Audi's crappy SMIC

That said, the A4 has a much stronger tranny and better gearing...though i am thinking of getting the 2.8 V6's tranny to extend 3rd gear.

Cheers
    Nice whips...
    I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

heavily modded 1.8t's might be able to beat a s4 with a chip but itll cost probably more $$ than the s4. But get a chip +downpipes and dv and its see ya too heavy modded 1.8t's. Then get some downpipes and intakes and e46 m3's will have a hard time pulling away. S4's are so easy to tune

I've eaten A4 Turbos before...it felt nice
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Shangsta,

Actually not really. To get an S4 faster than a big turbo A4 requires downpipes, which are awfully expensive...about $2000 installed (average ~1500 for the pipes alone)). So you are looking at a total of about $3000 in mods (add exhaust and chip) to get a S4 which is a touch faster than a big turbo A4, for which kits run 3500 (on sale) to 4500.

Of course the A4 costs 10k-13k less than the S4 to start. When i bought my Audi, i specifically chose the A4 over the S4 because for the total price of an S4, you can easily mod out an A4 with all the goodies, and have a much better handling car (weighs ~400lb less).

Factor in that S4 turbos routinely blow (i have two local friends who have had turbo replacements) and that costs significant $$ (as in 5k+)

The S4 will feel great with all that torque, but the top end just fades out with it's little KO3 turbos. If you want to spend big bucks...then an A4 can match the S4 path...the stage 3 S4 kit (which is about 9k installed) is so much you could build yourself a built 2.0 and have change to spare, after sourcing a T3/TO4E...and the S3 S4 is only good for mid 12's in the quarter.

As luxury sedans with power, the S4 excels...but if you really just are looking for a sports sedan, they are a poor choice.

As for E46M3's, they are no competition for my A4 even before i put on the FMIC

Cheers
    99.5 A4 1.8T28
    P.E.S. T28 Turbo Kit, Racetec Z-Flo FMIC, 1/8 Test Pipe w/Milltek Exhaust, Vortrag Hypercoil Springs over Bilstein Sports (450lb/500lb), W.O.A. Stage II Clutch, Racetec 4-pt Strut Brace, A.W.E. A Pillar Boost Gauge, Bailey BPV, Valeo E-Codes w/ Phillips 5300K H.I.D., APR Snubbie, Strat cartridge SSK, S4 Vented Wheel Liner, Brembo Rotors w/ Hawk HPS Pads(F)/EBC Greens(R), Denso Iridium IK-22's, Hella Supertones, O.Z. 17" SL's w/ Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's, Alpine CDA-7894, MB Quart QSD 213, Rockford Fosgate 501.1bd, Alpine SWR-1241D, P.P.I. A.400, 35% Llumar Charcoal tint, UUC RKII, RS-4 Grille.
    "Building boost, breakin hearts"

94 Miata C Package (a.k.a. Nougat)
    Flying Miata's FM2 intercooled GT28 turbo kit, Shiv fuel rail, AEM wideband O2, FM turbo exhaust, R.S. Aizawa Slash Intake Lid, KYB AGX's, HDHCDD 4-Point rollbar, FM NA clutch, FM F+R swaybars, Hella E-Code H4 Conversions, CRI Fogs, CRI Air Horns, Lewis Lumbars, Momo Monte Carlo, Rota Circuit 8's 15" with Toyo T1-S's, Pioneer Premier DEH-P440 with Infiniti Kappas 6 1/2 (doors), Infiniti Kappas 3 1/2 (headrests), some chrome bits, Voodoo.
    "It's not how fast you go, its how little you slow down...but 9.5hp/lb helps!"

Does Audi have an aftermarket company (like MB's has AMG and Brabrus; BMW- Dinan) to put together package deals? Sometimes on the higher $$$ cars the packages seem more reasonable, plus they tune them to exact specifications.

$2000 for a DP? Now that's crazy. I guess they figure if you can afford the S4, you can afford the DP...
    I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast