WRX vs A4 1.8T - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX vs A4 1.8T within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Audi has been real slow about that. There are no official tuners ala AMG/Dinan. The closest in Europe would be ...

Audi has been real slow about that. There are no official tuners ala AMG/Dinan. The closest in Europe would be MTM (Hoppen is the US distributor).

Problem is they don't sell cutting edge stuff, and they charge too much for it.

If your bored, here are some of the Audi/VW tuners:
    www.pes-tuning.com
    www.goapr.com
    www.awe-tuning.com

AWE is really big into tuning S4s.

Cheers
    99.5 A4 1.8T28
    P.E.S. T28 Turbo Kit, Racetec Z-Flo FMIC, 1/8 Test Pipe w/Milltek Exhaust, Vortrag Hypercoil Springs over Bilstein Sports (450lb/500lb), W.O.A. Stage II Clutch, Racetec 4-pt Strut Brace, A.W.E. A Pillar Boost Gauge, Bailey BPV, Valeo E-Codes w/ Phillips 5300K H.I.D., APR Snubbie, Strat cartridge SSK, S4 Vented Wheel Liner, Brembo Rotors w/ Hawk HPS Pads(F)/EBC Greens(R), Denso Iridium IK-22's, Hella Supertones, O.Z. 17" SL's w/ Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's, Alpine CDA-7894, MB Quart QSD 213, Rockford Fosgate 501.1bd, Alpine SWR-1241D, P.P.I. A.400, 35% Llumar Charcoal tint, UUC RKII, RS-4 Grille.
    "Building boost, breakin hearts"

94 Miata C Package (a.k.a. Nougat)
    Flying Miata's FM2 intercooled GT28 turbo kit, Shiv fuel rail, AEM wideband O2, FM turbo exhaust, R.S. Aizawa Slash Intake Lid, KYB AGX's, HDHCDD 4-Point rollbar, FM NA clutch, FM F+R swaybars, Hella E-Code H4 Conversions, CRI Fogs, CRI Air Horns, Lewis Lumbars, Momo Monte Carlo, Rota Circuit 8's 15" with Toyo T1-S's, Pioneer Premier DEH-P440 with Infiniti Kappas 6 1/2 (doors), Infiniti Kappas 3 1/2 (headrests), some chrome bits, Voodoo.
    "It's not how fast you go, its how little you slow down...but 9.5hp/lb helps!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Lawrider
    Audi has been real slow about that. There are no official tuners ala AMG/Dinan. The closest in Europe would be MTM (Hoppen is the US distributor).

Problem is they don't sell cutting edge stuff, and they charge too much for it.

If your bored, here are some of the Audi/VW tuners:
    www.pes-tuning.com
    www.goapr.com
    www.awe-tuning.com

AWE is really big into tuning S4s.

Cheers
    Cool man, thanks!
    I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Originally posted by Lawrider
    Shangsta,

As for E46M3's, they are no competition for my A4 even before i put on the FMIC

Cheers
    Yea... I like your car, but i dont believe you. My buddy has a 97 A4 quattro (more yellow than a banana). His K03 blew out, he got a chip and K04 along with a stronger clutch, it pulls nice, but this guys E55 benz (old N/A) handled it without much effort from stop and from roll. All i can say is that it was really really really bad from a roll. The new M3 has more power; and in a lighter car. Im sure a T28 + FMIC would have faired better, but the rate at which the benz put distance on Joe's A4.... man
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Wow...It states the the rs6 only dynoed at 349 whp. Is that for real?....That means it weighs 4k and only has 349.....So w/a fmic and a good tune when I throw down 300+whp then I will take one.....That doesnt seem right........
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

Originally posted by 13secwrx
    Wow...It states the the rs6 only dynoed at 349 whp. Is that for real?....That means it weighs 4k and only has 349.....So w/a fmic and a good tune when I throw down 300+whp then I will take one.....That doesnt seem right........
    Are you talking about the new one? With that weight does it have the V8 like the S4?
    I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Midnight,

My car makes significantly more torque than an M3, has short gearing, and weighs less. What do you think will happen?

Unless a M3 can pull better than very low 13's is going to lose. The driver repeatedly tried. I raced a supercharged E36 M3, that was almost as quick as the E46, but still not enough. BTW it was multiple runs on the highway, not digs, so now AWD advantage

I don't think my car i the fastest thing around...but the few races i have done against fast cars (C5 vette vert, Camaro SS, E46 M3, modded Stangs, modded GS400, a few WRX's etc...) have resulted in nice little wins for me.

Heck, the very reason im on this board is a year ago i raced a WRX and beat him so badly he thought i was spraying NOS, and posted to that effect here, so i registered to correct him.

KO4s are a joke compared to a T28 or GT28 kitted A4, but they are great for city driving since they make power very low in the rpm range...they actually are the same size as the stock Ko3 turbo, just a different compressor wheel.

13secwrx...your right about the RS6, but remember the basic mods that work for you, work for them as well. A chip/exhaust is good for 50hp on most any turbo Audi...heck the chip/exhaust combo on the new NA V8 S4 from Stratmosphere saw power go from 340 to 405!

Cheers
    99.5 A4 1.8T28
    P.E.S. T28 Turbo Kit, Racetec Z-Flo FMIC, 1/8 Test Pipe w/Milltek Exhaust, Vortrag Hypercoil Springs over Bilstein Sports (450lb/500lb), W.O.A. Stage II Clutch, Racetec 4-pt Strut Brace, A.W.E. A Pillar Boost Gauge, Bailey BPV, Valeo E-Codes w/ Phillips 5300K H.I.D., APR Snubbie, Strat cartridge SSK, S4 Vented Wheel Liner, Brembo Rotors w/ Hawk HPS Pads(F)/EBC Greens(R), Denso Iridium IK-22's, Hella Supertones, O.Z. 17" SL's w/ Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's, Alpine CDA-7894, MB Quart QSD 213, Rockford Fosgate 501.1bd, Alpine SWR-1241D, P.P.I. A.400, 35% Llumar Charcoal tint, UUC RKII, RS-4 Grille.

Flying Miata's FM2 intercooled GT28 turbo kit, Shiv fuel rail, AEM wideband O2, FM turbo exhaust, R.S. Aizawa Slash Intake Lid, KYB AGX's, HDHCDD 4-Point rollbar, FM NA clutch, FM F+R swaybars, Hella E-Code H4 Conversions, CRI Fogs, CRI Air Horns, Lewis Lumbars, Momo Monte Carlo, Rota Circuit 8's 15" with Toyo T1-S's, Pioneer Premier DEH-P440 with Infiniti Kappas 6 1/2 (doors), Infiniti Kappas 3 1/2 (headrests), some chrome bits, Voodoo.

how much torque are we talkin, cause your car weighs 3108lbs...
    The vette vert, weighs 3248lbs,
    and dyno's over 300horse to the wheels, with better highway gearing compared to your P.E.S. T-28 kit which is rated at 270@ the wheels...

As for the E46, they dyno around 290 horse... (weigh 3400lbs) so thats a big bite to chew on, provided they are much better suited to highway battle...

from a dig, im sure your car gets off the line really f'n quick, but lets face it... 270 wheel horse for 4 grand isnt economical, nor will it beat the guy in the foxbody who spent 2800 bucks on holley heads, intake and cam (running low twelves, fullweight GT)....Maybe your car has magical powers, or the other drivers dont know what the hell they are doing

I really like A4's by the way... you cant go wrong with the build quality, and plush interior, and one hell of a sound system... Im more of a fan of the last gen A4 + S4. What sold me on the WRX was the traction, price, and boxer sound. Otherwise id prolly be drivin a late model audi.
    Im not too familiar with the mods other than APR products, but you cant go wrong with PES /Garrett.

I am also a die hard volvo fan... man that R gives me wood
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Midnight,

That 270 from PES is with the *stock* exhaust (2.0") stock FMIC, stock cat. Grossly underrated.

Car opens up *dramatically* with FMIC, big exhaust and test pipe I have not dynoed (hate to spend $100 just to see what my car does. I am confident i am above 300hp and 300tq with a big trim, clipped turbine T28 that pushes 20psi to redline and all the breathing improvements.

The E46 was all highway stuff. I took a Camaro SS from a dig (though he has a passenger) but i just got a length off launch and kept it till we both let off...so i knew it was really the launch :/

FYI other people with my kit with a smaller exhaust have done 13.1 in the quarter on pump 93. I don't drag since (as you probably know) AWD launches are not something i like to subject my car(s) too...just occasional street runs and then autocross/track fun. Im actually into turning more than going in a straight line.

In terms of the mustang for 3k in mods...there is always something cheaper, and faster. I never said my Audi was the fastest, but it is damned quick...and it is a very complete package as set up with all the nice stuff, and still goes fast.

My Miata will do mid 12's, and i know it is faster than the Audi

I did have a Lightining slowly pull past me on a run. At the light he told me he had the usual pulley upgrades and pulled a 12.7 in the 1/4. That blower was so loud i could hear it over my turbo :0

BTW i like Volvos too...I am waiting to see if Volvo makes a S40R, that would be sweet.

Cheers
    99.5 A4 1.8T28

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing the A4 knowledge, and presenting it in a non-combative manner, Lawrider! Always nice to know what the competition can do. If the WRX didn't exist, I'd probably have an A4 1.8T myself. Very nice vehicle, especially when done up to the extent that yours is.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Heya Dan, thanks for the kind words as always.
    99.5 A4 1.8T28

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    Thanks for sharing the A4 knowledge, and presenting it in a non-combative manner, Lawrider! Always nice to know what the competition can do. If the WRX didn't exist, I'd probably have an A4 1.8T myself. Very nice vehicle, especially when done up to the extent that yours is.
    Being a previous Jetta owner I was going to go with the A4 as well. It's too bad the S4 is sooo $$$...
    I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

doesnt the a4 1.8t sport the same motor as the gti 1.8t and jetta? how bout gearing and tranny etc?

Originally posted by torqueterror
    doesnt the a4 1.8t sport the same motor as the gti 1.8t and jetta? how bout gearing and tranny etc?
    I had a 2000.5 yr. Jetta w/ the VR6 engine & a 5 speed tranny. Thay put out the 1.8T's in 2001.5. I think the tranny is different in the 1.8T's too...

So much happier I have the STi now...

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.