Owned by an SS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Owned by an SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last night I raced an 00-01 Camaro SS. Now I have raced stock ss's from a roll and taken them ...

Owned by an SS

Last night I raced an 00-01 Camaro SS. Now I have raced stock ss's from a roll and taken them but I do not think that this one was stock. I believe he had an exhaust and god knows what else. Maybe he did not have anything else.....So we race once and from 2nd gear I pull him until the end of 3rd. He pulls up to me and states " I did not expect you to do that to me, your car is pretty quick you caught me sleeping". He then asked if we could go on to the interconnect and run again. Of course I oblige, but think that this is kind of funny. At the light before the interconnect he proceeds to do something in the back of his car while sitting in the front seat ???? I told him thinking he turned on a bottle of something that I wanted to go w/out spraying. ( not that I have nos, but I didnt want him to use it either). He says no Im all motor. So long story short we go from a 30mph roll. He immediately pulls and continues to place 2 cars on me through 4th at about 120mph. I officially was owned, but I still think he was not close to stock. He obviously didnt have a s/c but I think he had more than an exhaust. I dont know how much work an ss would need to pull my stage 4 by 2 cars but. If you read this please post your mods.....
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Was he a 6 speed or A4? I'll give you an idea with my setup. I have an automatic with a stall converter, headers and a cam. I pull around 112 in trap speeds and low 12's in the 1/4 with Nitto drag radials. A six speed car will normally trap around 2-3 mph higher on average making it stronger from a roll, but normally can't hook too good so will be a tad slower in ET with the same tires. This is assuming cars are full weight. Fbody drivers are notorious for weight reduction, our cars are real pigs.
    Red 2000 SS Camaro/A4
    bolt ons, heads, cam, stall

im not too familiar w/ LS1's but he could of been using NOS.
    also he could of had a intake, headers, pulleys, cam, different gearing. those things are a beast.

how much boost are u running w/ ur VF 22? is that on pumped?
    those are great #'s too.
    2002 WRX silver
    -281HP/258TQ @ 16 psi

Interesting story. I'm really curious if he wasn't running NOS what he would have been changing out between runs. Especially at the back end. Curious. SS's are bests especially in modified form. Why if he had all motor and highly modified he didn't take you initially but he did after the adjustments I really wonder.

These cars are prime for infinite amounts of mods. They have been making aftermarket mods for these motors for over 40 years. The small block chev is the motor with the most available aftermarket performance parts on planet earth.
    There are too many ideas for what he could have done in the back of the car. I have programmable timing computers in mine, but I have no idea why it would be in the back. In fact, most of my ideas would be way more intelligent to have them at least in the front passenger seat.

Originally posted by 2000 SS
    Fbody drivers are notorious for weight reduction, our cars are real pigs.
    Try owning a G-Body
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

It was just a night and day diff. He def. had the 6 speed because the whole front shifted every time he did. I thought he may have turned the bottle on???.....Eh I dont know that much about nitrous soo....I do know though he had a few gauges and last I checked you didnt really have to monitor a stock car. Eh who knows..maybe one day Ill see him again.....oh and im running 18psi, but I seem to tail of to 16 by redline....
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    If he was spraying, he'd of put 15+ cars on you. My friends with LS1s on spray trap 117-123. Stock, 108-113. LS1s are no joke, and considering they have 30 more hp (at least) to the wheels than you, he probably had bolt ons only.
    2003 SRT-4

Yeah your probably right. I pulled a couple of stock ones from a roll but the diff. was minimum like maybe a car or so. Those things are beasts...but I weigh much less which makes up for the hp diff. i think....
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

I raced many LS1 Z28's in my 03 Cobra. I only struggled against Z06's and ONE Z28.

I only had exhaust and chip at the time. And I was only running around 395 HP at the wheels but god damn if he was not right with me. I could edge him, but I noticed that he did get faster after a few runs. I think he sprayed once he got up to 60 MPH.

We talked and he said he had "every" possible bolt-on money can buy without going into the engine.

The LS1 Z28 is fast stock! Seen a couple pull a high 12 with only exhaust.

I think one could take a Stage4 WRX. No doubt. They can shave about 400 lbs off that car. Some guys are in the 11's with basic bolt-ons and weight reduction.

I dont think he was spraying. Could have been a 50 shot, but who know...
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

If I recall a stock Cobra has 320 fwhp stock so how could you gain 100 whp with just exhaust and a "chip"? (I don't like the word chip because a computer has many chips attached to a pcb in it...)

Originally posted by keystah
    If I recall a stock Cobra has 320 fwhp stock so how could you gain 100 whp with just exhaust and a "chip"? (I don't like the word chip because a computer has many chips attached to a pcb in it...)
    The 03 Cobra is supercharged and 385 HP as rated by Ford. You're probably thinking of the 2000-2002 Cobras that made 320 flywheel HP (now being sold as the Mach 1).

If you haven't read up on the 03 Cobras and what they are running with minimal mods (pulley, programming/chip, exhaust, tires), you might be in for a surprise. They can move booty.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I wouldn't sweat it. He was most likely modded and proved he was faster than you. There are a lot of fast LS1s running around.
    For 2 years, I drove around in a 400 rwhp 99z28 that looked basically stock.
    If it was stock you would have easily stayed with him up to 110mph or so. In my stage 4 (vf30) I beat every stock LS1 I ever raced (thats in the 1/4 mile and from a roll under 100mph). So most likely he was modded.

I stand corrected, I did not know that the new cobras are supercharged. They have to be more xpensive now too I'll bet. Did Ford ever make a version of the mustang with the 5.4L in there? I could have swore they did. Anyway, now 385 fwhp + 2 mods = 395 whp does make sense.

WRX
    I raced an SS at the track, and I won by about 1 car.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast