Owned by an SS - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Owned by an SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by WRX I raced an SS at the track, and I won by about 1 car. For stockish ...

Originally posted by WRX
    I raced an SS at the track, and I won by about 1 car.
    For stockish LT1 SS's (1996-1997) in our area around Chicago, high 13's to low 14's are common. Stock LS1 SS's (1998-2002) tend to be low 13's to high 13's. This goes for Z28's, Formulas, WS6's, Firehawks, and any F-body in general, actually. Of course, a driver in any car reacting slowly, bogging, mis-shifting, or lighting up the tires will end up being entirely beatable on any given Sunday, whether it's at the track, or on the street. That's the beauty and fun of lining up against another car that is faster on paper.

If you have the timeslip from your run at the track against the SS, it should show his R/T, 60', 1/8 mile ET, 1/8 mile mph, 1/4 mile ET, and 1/4 mile MPH. All of which can be used to help uncover clues about that particular run.

Also, a 1/2 second advantage at the starting line (basically the equivalent of the other guy reacting once he sees you start to move), is the equivalent of 5 car lengths at the end of the 1/4 mile. This is why it's easy for me to believe most any outcome of a race when the two cars are within .5 seconds ET of each other, especially if it's on the street. It's very rare that both drivers leave the starting line (or stoplight) at IDENTICAL times...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by keystah
    I stand corrected, I did not know that the new cobras are supercharged. They have to be more xpensive now too I'll bet. Did Ford ever make a version of the mustang with the 5.4L in there? I could have swore they did.
    I'm not thoroughly versed in all of the Ford products, but I think the limited production CobraR (came in red, big brakes, big hood, big rear wing, stripped interior) had the 5.4 NA motor. Very fun car to watch road race, and it's a good match for a Z06 in most aspects.

More information on the Cobras can be found at www.corral.net or also from our resident Mustang experts here.

So we race once and from 2nd gear I pull him until the end of 3rd. He pulls up to me and states " I did not expect you to do that to me, your car is pretty quick you caught me sleeping". He then asked if we could go on to the interconnect and run again. Of course I oblige, but think that this is kind of funny. At the light before the interconnect he proceeds to do something in the back of his car while sitting in the front seat ???? I told him thinking he turned on a bottle of something that I wanted to go w/out spraying. ( not that I have nos, but I didnt want him to use it either). He says no Im all motor.
    There is nothing he would have been doing other than turning on a NOS valve.

Jimbo
    2003 PSM Wagon - VF34; STi 565cc Injectors; ScoobySport turboback with Prodrive muffler; STi catless uppipe; Cobb AccessPort; Samco IC hoses; 17" Steel Gray Rota Attacks with Sumitomo HTR ZIIs; Prodrive springs, sedan rear sway

I don't know man....

Although it sounds like he was opening up his bottle, if he only put two car lengths on him by 120 I doubt he was spraying. When LS1 guys spray, they usually spray a 100 shot or more.

I get whooped on by my buddy in his 01 T/A with bolt-ons plus a 150 shot from a roll.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Reaching in the back seat to turn on the gas, or: Securing the crystal vase that his wife asked him to pick up, putting the lid back on his jumbo cola that just spilled during the first race that he wasn't ready for, making sure the seatbelt is secure on his kid in the car seat...

Out of all the countless street going F-bodies that I've seen, there are maybe 2 that have their nitrous bottles mounted in the back seat area where you could reach it from the driver's seat. They fit so nicely out of the way in the spare tire well, on the back deck in the hatch, or in the bottom of the trunk (giving up t-top storage, however). It's not NHRA legal to run at a track with the nitrous bottle in the passenger compartment in the back seat either without an outside vent tube, so it's even more uncommon for someone to mount it in the back seat. BUT, anything is possible. Gauges could have been for a/f ratio and coolant temp, but could also have been for monitoring nitrous pressure and fuel pressure.

Based on how close the race was, I'd say it's unlikely it was nitrous. But, too many possibilities to say for sure.

I wasn't implying the bottle was in the back seat - nothing stealth about that. Many installations I have seen run the valve into the interior rather than keep it in the trunk near the bottle.

Jimbo
    2003 PSM Wagon - VF34; STi 565cc Injectors; ScoobySport turboback with Prodrive muffler; STi catless uppipe; Cobb AccessPort; Samco IC hoses; 17" Steel Gray Rota Attacks with Sumitomo HTR ZIIs; Prodrive springs, sedan rear sway

Smile

Jimbo: Interesting idea... I'd never seen the on/off valve separated from the bottle. The knobs have always been part of the bottle assembly from TNT, NOS, and NX (typical F-body nitrous kits). Is there a custom secondary manual valve that gets hooked up inline in the passenger compartment in order to do this? I guess it would be cheaper than a remote bottle opener... But if you went through the trouble of doing this, one would expect to make it more convenient to reach (as opposed to having to reach into the back seat everytime). I'd like to learn more about it, if you have the time to explain it, or any pictures of the installations you've seen. Thanks.

I highly doubt he was spraying. Unless he is only running a 75 shot or somethin. Most LS1s that spray run anywhere from a 125 fwhp dry shot to a 150 rwhp wet shot, its all about what kit and size jets you run. Also, the valve in the back thing. If he was gonna run the valve up that far, he would probably just go with a remote bottle opener (push button, bottle opens). Either way, if he was spraying a 'real' shot he would be putting down probably AT LEAST 425 to the wheels, assuming he has boltons too. A 6-speed, 425rwhp F-body would have put more than 2 car lengths on you, I'd imagine. He probably had full bolt on's (Headers/induction/LS6intake/exhaust)
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

all this talk of wrx's gettin broken down from a roll makes me want to spray....
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    all this talk of wrx's gettin broken down from a roll makes me want to spray....
    Either that or a bigger turbo . The cost effective route would be nitrous though.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

*whispers* forced performance 20g is all you need haha

RJ
    Car for sale for 13,500 with 60k on the car an 18k on the motor/tranny(Silver Sedan with 5spd)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12