Smoked by a Buick? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Smoked by a Buick? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by soon2BWRXd I love GN's......A freind of mine in College had one, and everyone thought it was a ...

Originally posted by soon2BWRXd
    I love GN's......A freind of mine in College had one, and everyone thought it was a typical GM POS!! And I remember there was this kid with a newer(at that time) 1997 Mustang GT...think that was the first year for the 4.6? But he used to talk smack all the time how he was gonna smoke him.....lol they raced once....thats all it took

This reminds me of an incident back in college, oh so many years ago. Went to a flea market about 45 minutes away with 3 other friends. This one guy drove, he had a V6 stang, maybe a 95. I guess he thought it was fast. Well when we were just about back to the campus, we came up behind this other guy that went to our school. We were behind him at a light, with no one in front of him. His vehicle? A typhoon. The guy in the mustang made some comment about the kid being a punk and he was going to ride his ass. He thought it was just a plain jane Blazer. I said if he doesn't want you on his ass, you will NOT be on his ass. And of course he just laughed at me and thought I was stupid. Well the light turned green and that is the last we saw of the truck. Oh man I was laughing hard. So funny.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For the record, Typhoons and Syclones were bad little trucks, but they were totally unreliable. I sold my last Typhoon in 99 and while it was the most fun vehicle I have ever owned, the repair bills made it to where I wasn't willing to keep it.

Originally posted by Typhoon
    but they were totally unreliable.
    Yup, had a co-worker who also had a Typhoon too and he was always dealing with a rough idle and hesitation problem that would come and go. He even found some guy who had a hole in the wall shop south of Irvine who did nothing but Buicks and the like...and it was still no bueno. He asked if I wanted to buy it and I'm like riiiiiiight....so I can get to know the mechanic at the shop too?

T.

SMC

GN's can be wicked

Hey All!
    Steve from SMC Enterprises here. We build the alcohol injection systems that many of the turbo Buicks use to be able to run +20 psi on pump gas. I've had a GN since '91. The cars were "factory" rated at 245 HP, but were closer to 280 stock. They were a 231 ci intercooled , sequentially injected V-6 turbo for those too young to remember. All were 4 speed automatics. They were the fastest production cars (1/4 mile) built in America in both '86 and '87. These cars engine and ECU were state of the art for their time. For example, the 87 Z-28's were running a puke 305 with throttle body injection......

My '87 GN is very mildly built-

BONE stock long block
    stock converter
    stock 3:42 posi rear
    upgraded turbo, IC, downpipe, exhaust, chip,tires and alky only.
    Car runs 11.60's @118 MPH on pump gas at 22 psi boost with our alcohol injection system. (approx 450 HP, 3300lbs)

This car is a PUP compared to MANY of the more modded turbo Buicks out there.......At the GS Nationals you will see hundreds of cars running 11's or quicker, with alot in the 10's and a few as quick as the 7's. (tube chassis, tubbed, etc)

Anyway....after playing with the Buicks for so long I decided it was time to help out the new crop of "pocket rockets" coming out lately, so we just took delivery of an '04 WRX to use as our new alcohol injection test car. We will be coming out with an all new custom WRX system soon that will solve the problems of an "octane challenged" car. Too hell with a low timing, low boost map to counter crap gas! Will keep you posted!

Here's a shot of the GN. If you stock to Stage3 or 4 cars don't want to be spanked, be careful with these GN's, they are truly "Bad to the Bone"!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gn 5-99b.jpg  

Originally posted by Aerophyre
    Respectable times? Those things are flat f-ing SCARY! dead stock they pull 250hp, and that was in 1987! There is a video here that shows what a twin turbo Grand National can do. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    Holy ish that is so crazy! It looks like he burned his drag rubber on the dyno rollers!

"Babies are bottle fed, real men get blown"

The REGAL!!

My dad has a 2002 Buick Regal GS. Its a 3.8L superchagred V6.
    And Before i got my subie, it was my favorite car to drive.

Why?
    I T S F A S T!!!! look out for these things, I ran 15s at the track with it with a 2.4 60ft time, Not to shabby for a front wheel drive automatic sedan.

Its 240hp and 280lbs of torque. Its a very VERY torquey car. Ive kept up with mustang GTs with my dads golf clubs in the trunk.

People mod these tiger-woods endorsed grocery getters into the 12s. Watch out.

They will DEFINATLY hang with our cars no problem from a roll.

Last edited by Blue Away; 12-02-2003 at 02:40 AM.
    03 wrb WRX sedan
    Crawford Performance S2 2.5L Block
    --- Tuned by I-SPEED

Tons of other toys.....

Re: Smoked by a Buick?

Originally posted by WiCkeDrEx
    I went to Searspoint last night and line up against a sedan Regal Buick. I ran 14.4 and he still smoked me! The bad thing was that it is an ugly looking thing!

02 BLACK WRX
    -HkS BoV
    -Resonator Box Removed
    -HeLiX UpiPe
    -InViDiA D/P
    -ApeXi GT SpeC
    With your mods, you should be running 13s. Do you have a boost controller?

-Jim

I ran 15s at the track with it with a 2.4 60ft time, Not to shabby for a front wheel drive automatic sedan.
    ICK!!!!!! you should have been running mid 14s with a decent 2.0 60' time....those cars are capable of some pretty impressive 60' times once they are modded, and the 1/4 times are insane for a FWD car that weighs 3400+ lbs...there are 5-6 members in the mid 10s!!! And there is a 1999 GTP that took off the SC and added a Turbo, he is running a similar set up to the old Turbo Buicks, and he is on ther verge of running 9s.....prolly happen this summer! Thats 9s with FWD, his interior is gutted, but it still weighs in at over 3000lbs

Well it was at a track with like 3000ft elevation. But i supposed i could have scored better times, only had a few runs....So fast..
    03 wrb WRX sedan
    Crawford Performance S2 2.5L Block
    --- Tuned by I-SPEED

Tons of other toys.....

Originally posted by WiCkeDrEx
    I only know about the Grand Nat. I don't know anything about the Regal. Not everybody research about all different cars. I only know imports.
    dude u should broaden ur horizons. I used to be that way about imports and thought anything from japan was ghey, then i met some people with imports and found a new respec for them. plus u need to check out the competition!

GN = a Supra that can hook
    1987 Grand National
    2003 Corvette
    2002 Ram 2500 td

Re: Re: Smoked by a Buick?

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    With your mods, you should be running 13s. Do you have a boost controller?

-Jim
    Nope no boost controller. I need to improve on my launch because I used to leave the throttle at 5k and then ride the clutch. Now I am going to try leaving it at 3k and then floor it (while still on the clutch), then drop the clutch when the rpm jump to 5k. I probably will get better 60ft time by doing that....
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

Originally posted by Vette Dude
    dude u should broaden ur horizons. I used to be that way about imports and thought anything from japan was ghey, then i met some people with imports and found a new respec for them. plus u need to check out the competition!
    Don't get me wrong. I got much respet for those muscle cars. My favorite domestic would be the Zo6 and Viper. I also like those WS6 (mean looking). I just don't dig the Buick because it looks like a car that my grandpa would drive. I know now it's a beast, but I still don't care. I like any car that looks good and have potential.
    Last edited by WiCkeDrEx; 12-31-2003 at 06:29 PM.
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

I got one....May not be the most attractive thing but all black pretty intimidating.....

I have not run it yet but built the motor for 10's in the .25. I will say this, traction is a problem past 10lbs of boost wet or dry..

But now I am not necessarilly a buick bigot as I am closer to getting the STi I want..

pix can be viewed here ,....----> PIX

BTW: SMC do you have a kit yet for the WRX's ? I will get you mine for recon out on Monday.

Aperrego,
    Beautiful car, I love GNX's.

huge snail
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast