Smoked by a Buick? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Smoked by a Buick? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; its more like 13.5 stock, in the 4's to 60, same powerplant as the turbo transam. which is really really ...

its more like 13.5 stock, in the 4's to 60, same powerplant as the turbo transam. which is really really hairy...
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Mad WRX
    I can't beleive some people still don't know about them
    I only know about the Grand Nat. I don't know anything about the Regal. Not everybody research about all different cars. I only know imports.
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

Sorry about the respectable comment. I think my respectable any your respectable are a touch different. And sorry, I am not afraid, very afraid.
    There was a guy here posting about three months ago that had his in the 9's. That is getting respectable. I say to him, I say to all. Best 2 out of 3 at the track.

I think the orginal poster is talking about the Buick Regal GS, the midsized, FWD, supercharged 3.8L sedan. Not the turbo beast from the past.

There's a beautiful GNX that I see around town every so often, what a nice looking car.
    -B

Originally posted by Beanboy
    I think the orginal poster is talking about the Buick Regal GS, the midsized, FWD, supercharged 3.8L sedan. Not the turbo beast from the past.

There's a beautiful GNX that I see around town every so often, what a nice looking car.
    -B
    You are correct, hes not talking about the Grand National/GNX.
    02 WRX Silver, 03 Baja Yellow

While on the subject, I used to have a guy who lived nearby with one of those sinister mobiles. The problem though was his looked like a turd on wheels as he didn't have the hood on it and had cut a big hole in the grille for an air inlet. But oh boy you could hear the turbo spooling up from a block away (no kidding, you'd hear the whistle well before the exhaust). I recall sitting at a light next to him one time and looking down in the engine bay (was in an SUV) and I'd swear the turbo had to be like a foot in diameter.

T.

Re: Your Betta ask sumbody!

Originally posted by paul nieto
    If Darth vader drove a car it would be a Grand National.
    p.s. i have one. hehehe.
    Perfect description.

There is a guy down the street from my work with one that is sooo cherry. I love it.

I wish I had a Grand National.. Who was it on this forum that had a 9-second Grand National? I forget his name. Buick should bring back turbocharging the 3800. The supercharged regal is quite quick, as some of you mentioned. Buick power! (but I still want a WRX instead ).
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Haha thats funny, i went to the track wed night and lined up, didnt know what they lined up with me, didnt even care to look, and we went, and i see no car beside me until the very end, a buick regal GSX or whatever flew by me, i think thats the supercharged one, he ran a 13.7, i ran a 14.1. I thought 'whoa' lol....
    2003 Sedona Red WRX SOLD THIS WEEK
    Soon getting S10 ZR2 4x4

I know of a few guys running Regal GSs in low 13 second trim without a ton of stuff done. Just like the rest of the forced induction vehicles, these can be modified to run higher boost and lower ETs.

Grand Nationals and other 1986 & 1987 Regals with the 3.8 liter SFI turbo engine are another story. See www.gntype.org and www.turbobuick.com for details.

A good friend has an 86 Regal T-Type with bolt ons and ported heads that runs 10.90s @ 120!

And come on, they're "tough" looking, not ugly

-S.
    1987 Buick Grand National
    11.76 @ 116

Originally posted by Mad WRX
    I can't beleive some people still don't know about them
    Same here!

There is a guy around the corner from me who has a GNX and a Regal T Type, I prefer the Regal as it looks awesome in gray with black wheels.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I Support ClubWRX
    I had a friend with a Regal T-type that would habitually talk shet (playfully of course)about my wrx. Then I got my stage 2 and he stopped talking crap... he still won, but it was pretty close at that point.

Another friend of mine has a gnx motor that he is currently attempting to transplant into a porsche 944 body.... I hope he gets it to work
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

My buddies shop works on a buick Grand National with a built motor and high boost. It sounds like a big block and I think he runs 9.3 in the 1/4. I am still waiting for a call from my buddy, letting me know that the grand national has arrived.

Also I heard a rumor that GM produced a select few white painted GNX.

The GNX and the gmc syclone/typhoon where actually on my list of possible car buys when I was looking for a new car earlier this year. I love my WRX though the gnx would be fun because not a hole lot of ppl know about them except for car nuts and older ppl.
    2003 Silver WRX... SOLD
    2002 Honda civic: commuter car
    2007 Acura RDX: wifes car
    MKIV Supra to come this year.

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Musto
    Also I heard a rumor that GM produced a select few white painted GNX.
    Not true. All Grand Nationals are black and every last one of the 547 GNXs were black as well. Other turbo regals came in a wide variety of colors. As a reference in 1987 there were 20,193 GNs produced (and 547 GNXs) in addition to 6,850 other regals with the 3.8 liter SFI turbo motor. In 1986 there were 5,512 GNs built and 2,384 Regals with the above motor.

And the GNX motors are identical to the GN motors with the following exceptions:
    (1) Ceramic turbine wheel turbo
    (2) Higher efficiency IC
    (3) Reprogrammed PROM to take advantage of 1 & 2.
    (4) Heat resistant coating applied to up-pipe from IC to TB.

The GNX also came with free flowing exhaust, upgraded trans, rear suspension upgrades include a distinctive longitudnal torque bar, and came with 16 inch wheels.

All of this was good for 13.5 @ 102.

A good GNX resource is http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~rowilson/frtpge.html

Note the GNXs are collecter cars and it's very rare to see one at the drag strip or one that has been heavily modified (unlike other Turbo Regals).

Note that one true rumor involves turbo regals being bought by the FBI and used in field work!

Hope you enjoy!
    Scott
    1987 Buick Grand National
    11.76 @ 116

I love GN's......A freind of mine in College had one, and everyone thought it was a typical GM POS!! And I remember there was this kid with a newer(at that time) 1997 Mustang GT...think that was the first year for the 4.6? But he used to talk smack all the time how he was gonna smoke him.....lol they raced once....thats all it took

Also, if you guys wanna learn more about the new 3.8L supercharged engines visit here alot of the Buick Regal guys hang out there. Stock they will run from 14.5-14.8@95+
    The fastest regal is running 11.57@117.98
    Stock or something close to it.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast