KILLED by Stang GT + Good TC info
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on KILLED by Stang GT + Good TC info within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I don't know a whole lot about cars but I always thought that a stock 02 WRX could take a ...

Unhappy I got KILLED by a stang gt

I don't know a whole lot about cars but I always thought that a stock 02 WRX could take a 02 Mustang GT w/ exhaust.

We ran on the service road 3 times from a dead start and all three times I was behind him the whole way (except maybe for 1/2 a sec or so). This is launching from about 3k and 4k each time (I no, neutral drops are bad for auto, but i dont no n e other way to launch effectively).

He beat me by at least 3 car lengths each time.

I was wondering if n e one could tell me what i did wrong or wtf happened cuz stuff like this makes me want to cry =.(
    4EAT White WRX
    Hallman MBC @ 15lbs
    Removed Silencer
    3" custom cat-back w/ glass pack
    Gruppe-S uppipe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

as i understand it, a race between a WRX and a Mustang GT is a tossup depending on the car's modifications and the drivers. its definitely possible that he has more mods than just an exhaust. also, you might not want to hear it, but the auto tranny isn't as quick as a manual one would be when driven properly. dont let a single race get you down, it could go the other way next time against a similar car.... you never know who will win--thats why racing is fun. yeah, and make sure to be safe...
    o-|-<) bryan

I'm not trying to be rude or anything but here's your problem, you've got an automatic....

It takes a good launch with a 5 speed to beat a Mustang GT.

yeah........automatic sux
    but my parents absolutely wouldn't get me a stick
    so is the problem purely tranny?
    4EAT White WRX
    Hallman MBC @ 15lbs
    Removed Silencer
    Gruppe-S uppipe

btw im pretty sure the stang j/ had exhaust w/ nothing else cuz i no the guy
    4EAT White WRX
    Hallman MBC @ 15lbs
    Removed Silencer
    Gruppe-S uppipe

It would be a challenging race even with a manual, but definitely doable depending upon the driver. The auto makes things very difficult for you, if not impossible. Get your kicks from smokin' V6s instead.

Does he have a stick or an auto?

-Pace

Dude, do one more neutral drop and im jumping over the computer and beating the living SHHHH out of you!!! just kidding hehe.... Well, you have a lot to learn my friend!! but luckily there are a few of us out there who can teach yah how to use your auto to its fullest... #1, NO MORE NEUTRAL DROPS!!! Do it 2 more times i gurantee youll be getting a new trannie or have some serious damage, if you dont already!! You need to learn how to BRAKE TORQUE.... Here is how you do it, hold the brake in while pushing the gas until your car starts to surge forward, continue to hold the brakes in as much as possible... This is the fast way to do it, a better way is like this.... Put your car in neutral, rev your car in neutral while applying the brakes until all the sudden u feel ur brakes go all the way in.. Then let off the gas peddle fully, DO NOT let go of the brake keep it pushed in as far as possible... now put the car in drive and start pushing in the gas until your car begins to surge forward... when your ready to go, release the brake and your off.... I beat a 5.0 mustang GT like this when i was STOCK, he had flowmasters thats it. just practice this a few times, but i cannot stress fully to you that holding the brake launches for to long you are intensly heating up your transmission and i suggest you grab a transmission cooler ASAP.... Also, if you are thinking about modding your car, GET A TORQUE converter as your FIRST MOD.... it COMPLETELY changes your car, its INCREDIBLE.... If i can help you with anything else, ill stop rambling on here, you can email me: darkbaron3@aol.com

Have a good one and good luck!!

Rob
    Last edited by RobPA; 04-27-2002 at 11:30 PM.

what rob said.. please NO MORE NEUTRAL DROPS! I did it 2 times in my old 96 civic and my tranny started slipping on me big time. I didn't break only cuz I was smart enough to never do it again. Just learn to do the brake torque but even then you still prolly wont beat him especially not an 02 GT with exhaust. After you get a upgraded torque converter and an mbc you might have a chance.

99 and up mustangs responds pretty well with just exhaust/intake upgrades. They are not slow by any means. Between a WRX and a stang GT, the race is up to the driver. They are heavier, but that 300lbs worth of torque comes in handy.

Automatic WRX runs low to mid 15's in the quarter..

Why you people race automatics is beyond me.
    Prodrive Headlight Conversion
    STi Front Grill
    Turbochargers.com Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade - T28 Compressor
    The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel
    Wagons Are Cool Check Out My Baby Here!

I would think that most people should be able to take a mustang gt fairly easily with a wrx. I raced my friend's stock 2002 camero z28(which SHOULD be faster than a mustang gt). We went 5 races total from 0-90mph. First 4 races, i launch at 4k rpm, easily take him. Last race, I decide to give him a chance and dont launch, jus ease off the clutch at 1krpm and then floor it. That race, we were together through first gear, I started pulling away as second gear came and I was still pulling away during 3rd. I would say i beat him by about atleast 1 or 2 carlengths everytime. My mods so far: Blitz intake and a 100lb soundsystem to weigh my car down

Yes, brake torque=good...neutral drops=BAD. Like they said above, you'll notice great results when you brake torque to launch.

If you've got money, look into getting a valve body upgrade, restalled torque conv, and a tranny cooler. I had level 10 and protorq do my work on the 4runner. The car felt MUCH MUCH faster but unfortunately, I wasn't able to take it to the track to test out the results. I would say that I could have been EASILY running mid-high 13's (based on other people with similar setups as I had and also from my arse dyno) from my previous best of 14.7. (Protorq claims that their tc in conjunction with a shift kit or valve body upgrade drops times by 1-1.5 sec. in the 1/4).

OR

Just trade in the car for a manual.
    Last edited by AmSFighter; 04-28-2002 at 10:21 AM.
    2006 Porsche Cayman S

Even with applying brake on launch auto WRX trails manual WRX by a full second in 0-60sec test according to mag. I've seen...

You have no chance against Mustang GT w/ exhaust no matter how hard you try. Spend some $$ on mods then try again

I Support ClubWRX
    If you continue to do brake torque launches, you should invest in a tranny cooler. When you are brake tourqing, your tourque converter is working overtime and producing a lot of heat from friction and if you do this numerous times in a row, say bye bye to your torque converter and your tranny. Invest in an aftermarket tranny cooler and you won't have to worry so much.
    Just my 2 cents,
    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Thanx for all the advice guys!
    I'll be sure and try to learn the new launch. Is this also known as power braking? A friend was trying to teach me but I always thought it killed your brakes so I never really practiced it.
    BTW the stang i raced was automatic too.

What should be the first performance mod i buy? Intake, exhaust, manual boost controller? I hear alot of different things so I was just wondering which would be the best.

Thanx for all the help guys.
    4EAT White WRX
    Hallman MBC @ 15lbs
    Removed Silencer
    Gruppe-S uppipe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.