KILLED by Stang GT + Good TC info - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on KILLED by Stang GT + Good TC info within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by nigginondubz What should be the first performance mod i buy? Intake, exhaust, manual boost controller? I hear ...

Originally posted by nigginondubz
    What should be the first performance mod i buy? Intake, exhaust, manual boost controller? I hear alot of different things so I was just wondering which would be the best.
    TORQUE CONVERTER! Call ProTorque.com and ask them about the street/strip mod. You hear me??? NOTHING ELSE FIRST. Trust me - been there done that. Wasn't happy till I got the new TC.

Me: G-Tech 4.8sec 0-60, 13.8@94 1/4 mile, 1.8x 60's. I should be getting low 13s with a TC-lockup mod we're working on.

On 1/8th mile strips, I have raced a dozen or so LS1s and a dozen more 'stangs (GTs, SVTs, Cobras, Saleens).

I've only lost to one well-driven modded LS1 - on a slightly uphill airstrip in the 1/4.

That's why we race autos.

Padre
    Last edited by PadreWRX; 04-28-2002 at 12:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would think that most people should be able to take a mustang gt fairly easily with a wrx. I raced my friend's stock 2002 camero z28(which SHOULD be faster than a mustang gt). We went 5 races total from 0-90mph. First 4 races, i launch at 4k rpm, easily take him. Last race, I decide to give him a chance and dont launch, jus ease off the clutch at 1krpm and then floor it. That race, we were together through first gear, I started pulling away as second gear came and I was still pulling away during 3rd. I would say i beat him by about atleast 1 or 2 carlengths everytime. My mods so far: Blitz intake and a 100lb soundsystem to weigh my car down
    Uhh, your friend doesn't know how to drive. Those cars are capable of mid 13's and lower.

i tried the torque launch and im kinda confused. when i rev my engine after the brake is fully depressed, i can only go up to about 3 rpm so my launch sux =( Can n e one give me advice on this?
    4EAT White WRX
    Hallman MBC @ 15lbs
    Removed Silencer
    3" custom cat-back w/ glass pack
    Gruppe-S uppipe

Originally posted by jk147

Uhh, your friend doesn't know how to drive. Those cars are capable of mid 13's and lower.
    its not really a matter of driving skill when im pulling away while flooring it-at that point all that is required is that u mash the gas pedal-losing while shifting is one thing but flooring the gas takes no skill

i tried the torque launch and im kinda confused. when i rev my engine after the brake is fully depressed, i can only go up to about 3 rpm so my launch sux =( Can n e one give me advice on this?
    That's exactly what your stock torque converter is supposed to do: about 3100rpm. Actually, this isn't too bad - you ought to try your GT friend again with this launch. BUt, with a new one, you'll be launching at 4100rpm - enough to give you 1.8x 60' times.

And to answer your PM: call Pro Torque . Ask for the '02 WRX street/strip modification.

You can do this three ways:
    1) remove your own TC, send it to Pro Torque, have them mod it, then re-install it. $495 for the mod, about $300 for the install (I just had my local dealer do it). Only prob is waiting for it - PT can do the mod in less than 48 hours, but you have to wait for it to ship back and forth.
    2) buy a used TC from someone else upgrading theres. We've been doing this on the I-Club and have been swapping them, e.g. RobPA bought my old one and then sold his to someone else. This way, your downtime is only about a day.
    3) buy a new TC (~$500) from Subaru, have it modded as in #1, then sell your old one.

Good luck! Padre

Key word here is "capable". Everything has to be perfect with a very good driver. In the dozen I've raced (on the track), only one could do it - the only one to beat me. Meanwhile, with my automatic, all I gotta do is brake-torque to 4100rpm, launch it, and let the beauty of Subaru AWD do the rest.

Padre

will modding the torque converter void my warranty?
    4EAT White WRX
    Hallman MBC @ 15lbs
    Removed Silencer
    Gruppe-S uppipe

am i correct in saying that although power braking is better for your car, a neutral drop is still a faster launch?
    4EAT White WRX
    Hallman MBC @ 15lbs
    Removed Silencer
    Gruppe-S uppipe

I wont even answer your question, because neutral dropping will destroy your trasmission, and u asked about voiding ur warranty??? They wont fix your trans if you break it in a neutral drop.....

Rob

will modding the torque converter void my warranty?
    Nothing will void your warranty. However, if the modded TC causes a problem, it won't be covered. IOW, if you do lots and lots of high-torque launches and break a diff, they won't cover it.

But done well, and with a tranny cooler, the modded TC should be just as reliable as the original.

Also, get the term "neutral drop" out of your vocabulary. Just don't even think about it much less do it. Launches with a modded TC will make you very happy. Trust me.

Padre

Renamed thread for better indexing.

Justin
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and experience comes from bad judgement.

:(

What saddens me in this whole story is his mom and dad would not buy him a manual tranny, so now he gets beat by a mustang street racing because of it. The world just is not fair sometimes!

Footnote:

GT Weight/HP Ratio=12.5lbs
    WRX Auto Weight/HP Ratio=13.8
    Better work on them neutral drops.
    Last edited by JTREX; 04-29-2002 at 06:29 AM.
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

better work on your clutch drops, JTREX, shame on your for suggesting he do a neutral drop

Originally posted by PadreWRX

Key word here is "capable". Everything has to be perfect with a very good driver. In the dozen I've raced (on the track), only one could do it - the only one to beat me. Meanwhile, with my automatic, all I gotta do is brake-torque to 4100rpm, launch it, and let the beauty of Subaru AWD do the rest.

Padre

That is why I threw in the "your friend cannot drive." as insurance when this comment comes up. hehe.
    Racing is all about driver.
    What happens if the Z28 also have an automatic tranny?

Stock wise, Z28 > WRX at drag racing. With equal drivers.

What happens if the Z28 also have an automatic tranny?

Stock wise, Z28 > WRX at drag racing. With equal drivers.
    Yep. I saw a bunch at the track the other night. The really good ones were running 14.0x's. Because of our altitude, 4100ft, this would translate to 13.3x at sea level, which is what I believe they advertise for most LS1s. I was running 14.4x's, but didn't line up against any LS1s that night.

Automatic LS1s, I don't know. But I hear they come fairly close to their MT brethren.

Padre

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast