WRX vs NSX and S4 .... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX vs NSX and S4 .... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; There are alot of little "doodad" mods, but that is not what i was referring to. Instead, I was talking ...

Not exactly true.

There are alot of little "doodad" mods, but that is not what i was referring to.

Instead, I was talking about MAJOR mods:
    1. a well thought out big bore kit
    2. a complete Head and intake mod kit (ti valves, gundrilled cams, etc)

stuff like that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: s4 is a great car

Originally posted by 99 m3steve
    i was wondering twinz what are your performance #'s. 3 car lengths on a nsx that must have shocked the hell out of him. nice kill!
    I dont know for sure, I have not brought it to the track yet. I have my trusty stopwatch which I have always use for reference runs and its probably fairly close...When the car was bone stock ( except for ssr rims and 225/45 ZR's ) I was getting 5.4-5.5sec to 60 consistently. Now I get 4.5's every time unless I screw up the launch, so I have dropped about a second off the 0-60 time. Dont know about 1/4's yet...definitely should be very low 13's..

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX

Re: Re: s4 is a great car

Originally posted by twinz

I dont know for sure, I have not brought it to the track yet. I have my trusty stopwatch which I have always use for reference runs and its probably fairly close...When the car was bone stock ( except for ssr rims and 225/45 ZR's ) I was getting 5.4-5.5sec to 60 consistently. Now I get 4.5's every time unless I screw up the launch, so I have dropped about a second off the 0-60 time. Dont know about 1/4's yet...definitely should be very low 13's..
    are all the mods you listed on the beginiing post the only stuff you've done to your car?

if so, i was just wondering about what you thought of the aps bov. hows your mileage since you've put it on?

Re: Re: Re: s4 is a great car

Originally posted by Penguinking

are all the mods you listed on the beginiing post the only stuff you've done to your car?

if so, i was just wondering about what you thought of the aps bov. hows your mileage since you've put it on?
    Yes, thats it so far. The APS BOV is excellent. What I really like about it is that it works very well but is very quiet..I want max performance with minimal attention. It is the best engineered BOV for the WRX imho. since it is also a recirc valve, there are not the fuel issues a full bov seems to have on the WRX. I definitely notice that it keep the turbo spooled up on hard, full throttle/boost upshifts..much more so than the stock unit. My mileage varies but if I keep the lead out of my shoe I average about 24mpg or so..dont really pay much attention to it as I have only a round trip commute of 11miles a day. I bought my car last november and just hit 3k miles!

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    well, if you're getting 24mpg, and i'm already seeing 20mpg with my pretty much stock wrx, then i guess theres no harm in getting the aps bov. that was the only issue i have w/ aftermarket bovs - the full vent/recirc problem of running too rich at one point and lowering your mpg.

how different is the sound of the bov - if any? you say its quiet but i kinda want that intimidating (but not obnoxious) bov sound. is it audible if you're standing next to the car?

Originally posted by Penguinking
    well, if you're getting 24mpg, and i'm already seeing 20mpg with my pretty much stock wrx, then i guess theres no harm in getting the aps bov. that was the only issue i have w/ aftermarket bovs - the full vent/recirc problem of running too rich at one point and lowering your mpg.

how different is the sound of the bov - if any? you say its quiet but i kinda want that intimidating (but not obnoxious) bov sound. is it audible if you're standing next to the car?
    well its audible, but nothing like a turboXS RFL type ..these two would be opposite ends of the spectrum for noise levels. You really dont hear it blowing off unless your under boost..since it is also a recirc you wont hear it blowing off when revving like you would a BOV that vents only to atmosphere. The WRX seems to need a partial recirc type BOV from what I have read. Seems many people who have atmospheric bovs have the fuel issues and LOSS of performance on full throttle shifts..I wont spend money on my car for something that drops my performance.

pk,

I have the APS BOV as well. I love it. I did A LOT OF HW before my purchase and choose the APS. I believe it has the largest cylinder of any WRX BOV and will handle massive boost pressures.

Like twinz, I believe the WRX requires a dual-vent (if not full recirc) design.

The APS is fully adjustable, sounds awesome, but is never intrusive. Passengers will notice, and as always, the resonator removal will increase what is heard in the cabin. As far as pedestrians and other vehicles hearing it, they might start to turn to look, but most of the time I'm past them before they have to.

It is very quiet when off boost, so at a standstill it is completely inaudible. I find it loudest at about 5000rpm under full throttle. The engine isn't too loud yet, but the BOV sings.

I don't believe the BOV had any effect what-so-ever on my fuel economy.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    pk,

The APS is fully adjustable, sounds awesome, but is never intrusive. Passengers will notice, and as always, the resonator removal will increase what is heard in the cabin. As far as pedestrians and other vehicles hearing it, they might start to turn to look, but most of the time I'm past them before they have to.

I don't believe the BOV had any effect what-so-ever on my fuel economy.

-Jim
    Agreed, the APS unit is an excellent design. As an aside, I noticed a very big decrease in turbo and bov noise after replacing the stock ic hoses with the samco hoses...much quieter than when the stock silencer was first taken out for installing my intake.

The stock IC hoses cause a lot of turbulence so the louder sound of the turbo and bov when the silencer is taken out is actually a sign of how poor the stock hoses are for airflow. pop in a set of samco hoses or the apc ic hose and you get better performance ( 14% better air flow! )and decreased noise also.

Warning: MotorMatrix owes ClubWRX.net Advertisement Fees and refuses to pay. Do not buy ANYTHING from MotorMatrix or SubaruPower.com!
    Nice job twinz!! I haven't had the pleasure of racing an NSX yet but i look forward to it. Anyway, you need to get some time off and coma hang out at tower shops in davie one saturday night. there are a ton of cars to race there. Anyway, I cant wait until tuesday. The vf30,sti Injectors, and PE pump will be installed. still no ecu but i can run 14-15 lbs of boost which should be good for mid to high 12's Im hoping. Get some time off so i can see that bad ass rex of yours.

Warning: MotorMatrix owes ClubWRX.net Advertisement Fees and refuses to pay. Do not buy ANYTHING from MotorMatrix or SubaruPower.com!
    Nice job twinz!! I haven't had the pleasure of racing an NSX yet but i look forward to it. Anyway, you need to get some time off and come hang out at tower shops in davie one saturday night. there are a ton of cars to race there. Anyway, I cant wait until tuesday. The vf30,sti Injectors, and PE pump will be installed. still no ecu but i can run 14-15 lbs of boost which should be good for mid to high 12's Im hoping. Get some time off so i can see that bad ass rex of yours.

Originally posted by MotorMatrix
    Nice job twinz!! I haven't had the pleasure of racing an NSX yet but i look forward to it. Anyway, you need to get some time off and coma hang out at tower shops in davie one saturday night. there are a ton of cars to race there. Anyway, I cant wait until tuesday. The vf30,sti Injectors, and PE pump will be installed. still no ecu but i can run 14-15 lbs of boost which should be good for mid to high 12's Im hoping. Get some time off so i can see that bad ass rex of yours.
    Hey Mike, sounds awesome! I am going do exact same upgrades but gonna have to wait until july/august or so. Between big brakes/susp mods/kartboy shifter ect ect I gotta get the plastic back down to 0$ before I indulge in any more toys! Just dropped off the rex this a.m for everything to be installed, cant wait...I'll keep in touch for a tower run by end of month...

Originally posted by twinz
    Agreed, the APS unit is an excellent design. As an aside, I noticed a very big decrease in turbo and bov noise after replacing the stock ic hoses with the samco hoses...much quieter than when the stock silencer was first taken out for installing my intake.
    twinz,

The decrease in turbo and BOV noise is immediately noticable upon Samco IC hose installation. The two tenths of a second shaved off my 1/4 mile time was also immediately noticable! Just from a visual inspection of the Samco hoses versus the stock POS plastic, you can tell the silicone will WAY out flow the plastic.

-Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12