Street Racing: Not the Best Idea
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Street Racing: Not the Best Idea within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; On the news in MI there were two street racing incidents in less than 24hrs that made the news. In ...

Street Racing: Not the Best Idea

On the news in MI there were two street racing incidents in less than 24hrs that made the news. In one some kid hit a older gentleman in a wheelchair and drove off. The man was hurt but not badly. In the other some punk smashed into a couple while they were driving home. The couple died at the scene and where so badly injured they'll have to be in closed caskets for the funeral. The punk of coarse was hardly hurt.

Sorry if this sounds depressing but just think how depressed the people involved must be. It's a real good reminder that our actions do effect others. I don't think any of us want to cause the death of another fellow human but that's the possibility, so please keep it safe and keep it on the track.
    Prodrive Headlight Conversion
    STi Front Grill
    Turbochargers.com Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade - T28 Compressor
    The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel
    Wagons Are Cool Check Out My Baby Here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The problem is that a lot of dumb-fuq kids race in heavy traffic, or in unsafe situations. If you must street race, make sure it's clear all around you, and if it's not then find somewhere that's safe. Hearing **** about kids killing people and fuqing off pisses me off, large!! Irresponsible pricks; there should be a minimum IQ requirement for getting a license.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

I am from MI myself, and the street racing here is outrageous, there are meets and people like to peel off the parking lot and drive off into the heavy traffic (around MSU compus, where people are everywhere), I like to go to meets and all that to get to see what others have, but sometimes I am embrassed to be there becuz of their behaviors.
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

Sad.

Here too, a guy died while watching some illegal street races. His first time out there. I'm sure everybody thought it was going to be safe for everybody. Still, something went wrong and that guy died. I'm not sure how this happened exactly. Just heard it on the news.
    Honestly, I guess I wasn't "raised" with the drag racing spirit. I love rally racing. It's still like street racing in the country side and can be dangerous too unless you go with the SCCA stuff but costs more money. Not that many people actually race in Fresno unless on the weekends. And usually they race you at the light without telling you... bastards! Some of them even pull next to you almost a car behind to get you with a rolling start.
    I drove up to the mountains last weekend and had fun. So I think I will concentrate on my handling mods soon too. And seriously get into auto-x. Between concentrating on the other guy racing me, myself and what I'm doing, other people on the road, people who could eventually pullin front of me at 5mph, people walking in front of me, lights turning yellow ahead while I'm flying through, cameras above intersections, cops watching, etc... yeah, way too many variables. Good for you if you can manage all of that in a 5-6 seconds window. Not worth it to me. I have to admit I still would fall for it... once in your system, and driving a modded WRX, you will eventually go for it. I try not to.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

tragic, but unforseeable

Athough the death was unexpected - perhaps the worst kind to deal with as a close companion - it was not forseeable. And certainly not intentional. On the relative bright side, anyone near the accident would now have a very healthy respect for the circumstances surrounding it.

Sure, they are doing things that can be considered unreasonably dangerous. But many things are unreasonably dangerous, like sloth and unabated obesity, intravenous drug use, unprotected sex, driving poorly on the interstate in LA, which kill many more people than street racing.

Mind you the participation in, versus the observation of, should reflect a reasonable margin of greater safety. The death of an innocent, but nonetheless present and observing pedestrian, is not an indication of threat to the public, the notion about which biased opinions and unreasonable restrictions arise.

The outlawing of street racing will prevent it as well as the outlawing of illicit drugs. It will, like the activity of drug use, merely make street racing more dangerous by forcing it to operate outside the civil protectons. Legalizing and regulating has been shown to be a viable alternative. If the will exists, so will street racing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah those people are asses in my opinion especially when they're putting other peoples' lives on the line. I know in most cases they're irrisponsible teenagers but we can't just say that all of them are kids right? ANyhow, street racing is not only illegal but it is also extrmely dangerous. If they want to show off their cars they should go on drag strips or just pay for autocrossing or track events. If you think about it $60 for a full day of autocrossing (practice day) is not so bad considering that you're not risking any speeding tickets or real accidents.
    Tim
    Admin

Heck, for $160+ you can do a track event where you have 2 1/2 fulls days on a track going as fast as you feel comfortable with. Why take the chances in Traffic, where there are many that have no involvement in the decision of this dangerous activity.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by BlazinWRX1
    Yeah those people are asses in my opinion especially when they're putting other peoples' lives on the line. I know in most cases they're irrisponsible teenagers but we can't just say that all of them are kids right? ANyhow, street racing is not only illegal but it is also extrmely dangerous. If they want to show off their cars they should go on drag strips or just pay for autocrossing or track events. If you think about it $60 for a full day of autocrossing (practice day) is not so bad considering that you're not risking any speeding tickets or real accidents.
    Exactly
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

IF you like street racing, you'll love this!

Get online, and find a company in your area that runs time trials.
    Get registered for a weekend, get your car tech'd, and go try it out. You will most likely find that its even more fun than anything you could ever do on the street (without doing serious jail time).

IMHO you'll fall in love with it. You can focus on your driving, and you dont have to worry about whether or not there is a helicopter with FLIR following you home......even though you lost the cops in the cruisers 10 minutes before.

here is only one example:http://www.touringcarclub.com/events/events_schedule.htm

Re: IF you like street racing, you'll love this!

L,

Super sweet! Thanks for info. I agree that racing on a "closed course" is WAAYYY more fun than risking your life and others pushing you car's limits on the street.

You really are a great contributor to our club. I wish you had a WRX!!!

-Jim

Originally posted by Lycanthropic
    Get registered for a weekend, get your car tech'd, and go try it out. You will most likely find that its even more fun than anything you could ever do on the street (without doing serious jail time).

IMHO you'll fall in love with it. You can focus on your driving, and you dont have to worry about whether or not there is a helicopter with FLIR following you home......even though you lost the cops in the cruisers 10 minutes before.

here is only one example:http://www.touringcarclub.com/events/events_schedule.htm

Thanks, and BTW....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

in E.L.

Originally posted by slin02
    I am from MI myself, and the street racing here is outrageous, there are meets and people like to peel off the parking lot and drive off into the heavy traffic (around MSU compus, where people are everywhere), I like to go to meets and all that to get to see what others have, but sometimes I am embrassed to be there becuz of their behaviors.
    you said you go to msu. im from east lansing and i havent seen but a few wrxs around the area. you arent that yellow 02 with the cannon hanging off the rear that is always parked by the 7th day adventist church i hope... hehe, (if you are, the car still looks nice, not impinging by any means).

i have to agree as far as drivers in e.l. go, i havent seen bigger idiots much of anywhere. time to enjoy the summer when the traffic is slow and the cops are in bed sleeping for a change. i would be interested to hear about your car some and what youve seen in the area this season. good to see some mid mich folk online

if you are not a fan of street racing and like to drag race at the race track, AND you are a student at MSU, visit the MSU Drag Racing Club website.

http://spadaben.user.msu.edu/

it's still in its building stages, but give it time. Come the end of fall and next spring, we will have everyone racing legally at the drag strip and getting some real numbers and having some nice competition

This looks excellent, Lycanthropic. I couldn't open the link, but you piqued my interest and I got into it with a search. Logical progression, School --> Time Trial --> Racing ! I'm ready to jump in at time trial, plenty of Cali tracks - but where is the pricing info ? Do you have an idea what this costs ? Have you participated with this group ? If so, post up on the Road Racing board. I'd love to read your review of it.
    Old, but not slow.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.