Subaru WRX Forum banner

E46 M3 Anyone?

8K views 94 replies 22 participants last post by  chuglobal 
#1 ·
Does anyone know someone or who personally has 2001+ E46 M3 around the Atlanta area that wouldn't mind giving me a quick race someday? I would only saw 1 guy w/ a new M3 but he left before I could talk to him. I would like to see how my REX does against a $60K car. :p

#27 ·
He would hang right there with me through first gear and 1/2 way through 2nd gear I pulled a LITTLE bit on him. By the time I shifted into 3rd I started to slowly pull him - and he backed out everytime around 70-75mph.

We did ONE roll on @ 40mph - my car was faster. But still he shut things down @ 75mph...

I was surprised he was able to hang w/ me from a 20mph roll on until the middle/end of second gear. Too bad the WRX didn't want to go any faster than 75mph, but I think I understand why. But hey, the car is quick off the line - hope the chassis/turbo will be alright down the road...

#29 ·
The top pf third gear in the WRX is 90mph. After that, we hit our wonderfully long 4th gear and get a nice view of the back of the M3 as it gets further and further away.

Nice job chu and Wasted!!! Now we now how a stock turbo WRX fairs against an M3 up to 75mph. I'd have been willing to race until about 90. Oh well, I haven't been able to race an M3 yet. I always try to get beside them, but it never pans out.

I really have to get my uppipe in and head down to TXS for a dyno tune. That should lead to the anhilation of my 13.5s goal and leave me with a huge smile on my face.

-Jim

#30 ·
PlatinumWRX said:
Now we now how a stock turbo WRX fairs against an M3 up to 75mph.

-Jim
He does have a MBC set at 16psi, so it's not totally stock. Good showing Chuglobal. It's always nice to see friendly racing and that you and Wasted are so complimentary of each other.

BTW Jim, good luck on the 13.5 goal...I'm sure you'll hit it!

#31 ·
Hey Chu...its Ryan. I finally registered for this board. Good job with the race and if that M3 ever wants to race past 75 mph then either me or Mike will race him. Mike has the VF22, sti inj, fuel pump, blitz fmic, and unichip and i should have the TXS stage 4 in the next 4-5 wks. I am curious if that will beat/keep up with a E46 M3 past 75 mph. Later.

#32 ·
WRXed,

"stock turbo" as in no turbocharger upgrade.

Thanks, my only problem is, I'll be sad when I hit 13.5, because I said I would stop modding when I hit it, and I really want to do exhaust too. Maybe I'll stop after the exhaust instead. I think I'm being pretty good since I'm probably going to put off wheels and tires until next summer. :D My WRX is more than a hobbie, it's an addiction!

-Jim

WRXed said:
He does have a MBC set at 16psi, so it's not totally stock. Good showing Chuglobal. It's always nice to see friendly racing and that you and Wasted are so complimentary of each other.

BTW Jim, good luck on the 13.5 goal...I'm sure you'll hit it!

#33 ·
PlatinumWRX said:
WRXed,

Thanks, my only problem is, I'll be sad when I hit 13.5, because I said I would stop modding when I hit it, and I really want to do exhaust too. Maybe I'll stop after the exhaust instead. I think I'm being pretty good since I'm probably going to put off wheels and tires until next summer. :D My WRX is more than a hobbie, it's an addiction!

-Jim

Funny how in our haste to read, we miss words...important ones at that. DOH!

Yeah, sure you'll stop after the exhaust...sure you will:D

#34 ·
Haha ...

Actually Clark we did do 80mph once and that's when you had already started to slowly pull away. I have some WRX guys who would like to go w/ you on the "HWY" at higher speeds. :) They can do it because I won't. :p I really do appreciate your time yesterday.

#35 · (Edited)
This is a great thread. I love to hear about it from both sides.

**Counting the minutes till the BMW worshippers tell us how yet another WRX could not possibly have kept up with or beaten an M3 because..... well, because it's a BMW M3. :rolleyes: **

Nice job keeping it in check at 80 mph, Chu. :)

[edited for grammar]

#36 ·
Richard-Kick arse job with the beemer. I wanted to come out and play also but couldn't.

wrXXX said:
Mike has the VF22, sti inj, fuel pump, blitz fmic, and unichip and i should have the TXS stage 4 in the next 4-5 wks. Later.
DAMN Ryan! So you decided to go with the vf30? You are gonna have one CRAZY setup. I'm still indecisive on whether I want to go with N2O or save up a little more and get a larger turbo later. ~$1000-1200 (kit, purge, heater, fp, bottle opener,...maybe an adj. fpr) vs. ~$1800-2200(turbo, inj, fp,...even more to dyno tune at txs).

When did mike get his fmic? I passed by his car last week (parked in front of publix on peachtree) and didn't see it...

Take care.

-James-

#37 ·
James - I'm 75% sure I want the VF30 cuz thats what the TXS crew has been testing and says is the best turbo. I may change my mind but as of today that is the turbo I want.

Mike is the manager at that Publix on Peachtree. He just ordered his fmic, inj, and fuel pump and we will throw it on as soon as it gets here. Also, he got the Greddy fmic from Irvine Subaru not the blitz...i dont know why i said blitz. He also just sent his unichip back yesterday to get a new map for his new goodies. He should be real fast real soon.:eek:

-Ryan

#38 ·
PlatinumWRX said:
WRXed,

-Jim

Don't we all addicted to the rex :D
So much to buy so little time and money hahahha

#42 ·
Idiots ...

So I was coming fome from renting a movie after work today. I leave Blockbuster on Johnsons Ferry & Lower Roswell and heading back home on Johnsons Ferry passing the Baptist church. A old Cherokee on the side of the road and merges onto Johnsons Ferry. I get in the left turning lane for Woodlawn and the Cherokee pulls right next to me at the red light. I have my windows rolled down as usual and I hear this slight engine wine ... I'm thinking to myself ... umm what's that so I just ignore it. Then I hear it again and I can hear someone playing w/ their transmission by shifting it into neutral from drive or something like that. So I look over at they're these 2 punk high school teens looking at me revving :rolleyes:. I glance at the driver, smile, and shook my head and smiled ( Basically saying ... ummm idiots at 3 o clock! ). Light turns green and they stop revving, then shift to drive, then "try" to peal out. :lol: I just sat there laughing at their ignorance. I never once thw whole time even rev my engine back. I just thought it was funny. WRX, S2000, Supra, and M3 ... they're so much more fun :devil: even if the M3 & Supra would smoke me in 3rd. It's all fun and games. :D

#43 ·
Race the M3 in the WET.... and see who'll win by 15 cars!! :D

Tonite in my S15 Silvia, I was giving it a bit too much in 2nd, and started fishtailing...... :p RWD = w(R)ong Wheel Drive in the wet.... :p

But to those ppl who are smiling in their dreams that our little pissy turbo cars can beat an $$$ M3, I think you might find that your stock turbo + engine combination won't last you anywhere near 10 years whereas the M3 would still like new!! :rolleyes:

When we bought turbo, we knew the consequences...

But of course, who's going to keep their cars for 10 years anyway!! ;)

#44 ·
Dead Anteater

You guys crack me up... Racing in the wet. You stop light racer's need to come join me at the track one day... Especially those who believe Euro car owners never push their cars- Ever think maybe they just don't like to race on the street???? I couldn't imagine what a stock E36 M3 could do to that 16psi turbo I ran with @ Road Atlanta...

I'll be at Roebling Road July 3rd and back at Atlanta Motor Speedway Aug 3rd and 4th. I did see one guy from Atlanta in a WRX out at the track, but he had a bad day... Hope he was alright..

#45 ·
I have been on both the track and autocrosses with M3s. From what I've seen, the older M3s do better on the track, and the new ones do better on the autocross because of their active rear diffs. But it's mostly up to the driver. I took a ride in my instructor's mid-90s Integra GSR and he had no trouble keeping up with M3s of any year outside of the straight (Lime Rock Park, CT). All the M3s were a bit faster after 90 mph than I, and especially the older ones cornered better than my stock WRX suspension. I didn't have a problem keeping up with the new M3 in the twisties though. They do say the suspension's mushier. I dunno, never drove one.

As for racing in the wet...... I drive up from NYC to my parents' in Buffalo all the time. When there are snowstorms, I always see at least one overzealous or impatient RWD BMW on the side of the road facing the wrong way after a 180 spinout. In the winters, anyone with a BMW in western NY drives around with cheap black steel rims with snow tires. They do pretty well with snow tires on. But otherwise, it pays to go slow.

#46 ·
Re: Dead Anteater

Wasted M3 Drive said:

I did see one guy from Atlanta in a WRX out at the track, but he had a bad day... Hope he was alright..
Yeah, I talked with the owner today and he plans on getting a gc8 and dropping a wrx engine into it. He had a good deal of money in his car. Damn shame what happened...I'm hoping he'll sell some of his parts to me though :D He said he was at RA with the nsx club and he was passing all of them........until that turn where he hit the wall. :(

#48 ·
You guys crack me up... Racing in the wet.

What and why, pls explain.

When people want to be convincing, they usually have some kind of backing evidence or at least a argument in their hands.

YOU CRACK ME UP..... writing messages like that.

Oh by the way, YOU CRACK ME UP, a loser like you driving an M3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.