I have a problem with everyone complaining about our top end!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I have a problem with everyone complaining about our top end!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have been listening to the posts her for a while and the complaint about top end has bothered me. ...

I have a problem with everyone complaining about our top end!!

I have been listening to the posts her for a while and the complaint about top end has bothered me. WHen I first got my WRX, I raced my buddy who has a 1998 BMW 540i, it is the 6 speed manual tranny. From a light it was a joke I killed him. At the next light he was going balistic!! (in a cool way, could't believe how fast I was). I told him it was due to the 4 wheel drive that allowed me to launch well and that he would kill me on the highway. I used to have a mustang 5.0 (faster than most other 5.0) that he would walk away from on the highway so I figuerd he would walk on my rex....not so. On the highway we were dead even. He claimed I was passing him but if I was I couldn't tell. We were pinned for a LONG time and I was absolutely puckered!! (11:30 at night on a three lane highway with not another car in sight). I call it dead even. Now with my mods (SPO waste gate controller (MBC) Borla cat back and K&N) I absolutely destroy him on the highway (14.5 lbs of boost). I can't imagine now that I am running at 16 lbs what I would do to him. All this to say that I have not had an issue with top end.
    Don't flame. Be nice

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

God
    Umm, drive in my car and then say you have decent top end. That stock turbo is a dud after 5500 RPM. Sorry but I was betting clobbered by Mustang Cobras on the highway as well as S2000's before I did my turbo upgrade. Now I race E46 M3's and Corvettes on the highway.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

I've only driven my WRX, which is bone stock ATM. Top end is atrocious. Completely falls on it's face after 80-85mph. > 100 is absolutely pathetic.

So is there any turbo option that will bump top end (without sacrificing all bottom end) without fuel upgrades?

VV

Originally posted by God
    Umm, drive in my car and then say you have decent top end. That stock turbo is a dud after 5500 RPM. Sorry but I was betting clobbered by Mustang Cobras on the highway as well as S2000's before I did my turbo upgrade. Now I race E46 M3's and Corvettes on the highway.

Dan, let us know of your good kills. It makes me real happy when a fellow heavily modded rex destroys a supercar. Also, are you still running stock tranny and waiting till it goes? You should wait till it goes then try the dealership just to see what happens. The only way to fix the top end after 100mph which is a result from poor gearing is going with a new gearset with better ratios or even better a six speed. That is personally why I want the Kaaz gearset. Not only will it be safer because it will not allow me to go ridicoulus speeds it will also make me cruise at a slower speed to reduce engine stress. Of course you can add a bigger turbo and other mods but you still wont be acheiving what you should in the top end and even then you will need to upgrade your tranny.

God,

I feel like I'm praying...Anyways, no doubt your car is insane!! Very jealous that I am not there (yet). My point is though that (in my opinion) the Rex is not slow on top. No it is not as fast as your modded Rex, but still fast. I have kept up with regular Mustang GT's (newer edition with the 260 hp) on the highway with no problem when I was stock. Did not beat them but kept up. I consider that pretty damn good, keeping up to a muscle car and then toasting him in the twisties and at the stop lights!

Now with my boost controller I can walk past them on the highway. Still looking for the elusive s2000 to run with though!

By the way, I am sure someone has asked this of you before but what mods do you have, where did you do them and how much. I have told my local Subie dealer I want the 1st STI he gets, but after seeing you and a couple of other peoples HP figures on the WRX I am considering sticking the money into this car and make a true giant killer.
    Don't flame. Be nice

Now I race E46 M3's and Corvettes on the highway.
    lol dan, every time i think of your wagon smoking an M3 or a vette, i almost pi$$ my pants thinking of the look on that poor guys face. when you get your Sti, i WANT your car. we gotta get some ricey cosmetic stuff on there soon though, yeah? fender flares, morettes, wheels and rubber. tint etc. are you thinking about that at all?

So is there any turbo option that will bump top end (without sacrificing all bottom end) without fuel upgrades?
    V V, what about those hybrids that were floating around a few months ago? . forced performance, and there were a couple of others too i think. then there;s that guy that ported his TD-04 and cut the corners of his IC. he said he got some top end performance increased there too. i'm not well schooled on this though. i'm starting a thread on this one V V. good question for those of us not willing to sacrifice the zippy side street performance or our rexes.

i think there is a serious lack of top end on the rex too. 85+ is slow, and the gears are long. some boost control should help, but is really no more than a bandaid for an insufficient turbo. i just don't want to sacrafice the low lag with an upgrade. i love zipping around town on the side streets.

dR

isn't WRX also speed restricted due to its aerodymantic ?
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

What the hell is that sline02 on your picture box!!!!!

Rex is not super aerodynamic comparing to Vets, S2000, NSX etc.
    Should be ok under 110. Remember it is a rally car not a track car.
    Also it sits pretty tall stock wise, so over 100 the wind resistance will
    be pretty high and the 5th gear is long. What we need is the UK
    6 spd
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

the yellow M&Ms? or the cusco GT car?

Ok the cusco gt car ehy?
    Weird man...weird.

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    yeah...thats one freaky car...whats the website or whatever where u got that from?

cusco website.

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    i wish they made a bodykit like that for the wrx.....the gt car looks so cool

I don't think they will, but someone else can ( hint hint to all the vendors )
    by the way it is www.cusco.co.jp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.