Killed by a Cadillac SLS
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Killed by a Cadillac SLS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yep, you read that right. Got my butt handed to me by an grey haired fella in a caddy. I'm ...

Killed by a Cadillac SLS

Yep, you read that right. Got my butt handed to me by an grey haired fella in a caddy.
    I'm driving home on rt 35 (two lanes each direction , couple of traffic lights). I catch a traffic light that has been yellow a bit to long and decide to stop. The caddy behind me is rushing the light but my move messes him up. He pulls into the right lane. I know his coming actions.
    I hold the incline with the hand brake and bring the RPMs up 2-3K. The light goes green and I'm off. Not one of those shot out of a sling shot launches I can occasionally find, but respectable none the less. VRRRRRMP 1st is done. Smooth into 2nd. VRRRRRMP topping 2nd. I look over my shoulder figuring this guy should be toast by now. No He's on my rear quarter panel.
    I'm shocked. I botch my shift to 3rd and hit the Rev limiter (not a good feeling). He blows past me. Sure I could find 3rd at this point and catch him but that would just be a fly by.
    lessons learned:
    1)never count your chickens before they're hatched.
    2)do not under estimate the big luxury car next to you.
    3)Old white guys do race. (in reference to another thread)

Buy the way, anyone know if that thing was super charged, because it sure was quick.
    Silver Wagon- Rally Tarmac

UTEC stage 1, MRT Up pipe, GFB pulley kit, Samco IC hoses, GFB BOV, GReddy boost gauge

Prodrive P1, Tein wagon coilovers, MRT strut tops, Cusco front and rear anti sway bars, Cusco strut tower stiffener, MRT end link front, STI lateral links and trailing arms pillow ball type.

Factory painted side skirts

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Killed by a Cadillac SLS

Originally posted by Jazz
    3)Old white guys do race. (in reference to another thread)
    Ddoh! I remember that thread.

Late one night, I was on one of the main roads here in Brooklyn with a old dude in an older Lincoln Mark series LSC with his wife riding shotgun. There was no one else on the road since it was about 1:30 am on a weekday. He floored it at every light until we had to stop for the next red in 2-3 blocks. That thing was pretty fast! It apparently has the 5.0 liter engine they used to put in Mustangs.

To keep it a little more fun, I "launched" from 1500 to 2000 RPMS and just let my turbo kick in. So he'd get a car-length's lead and then I'd overtake him. We always either shut down at 40 mph or had to slow down for a light.

The funny thing is, he never once looked over. A minivan with some teenage kids tried to keep up with us and we were laughing and giving each other the thumbs up, but the old guy and his wife never acknowledged any of us.

This driver was an old black guy. And yes, old guys do race their luxo boats.

But mostly, if you see a nice high end Benz or BMW racing through traffic aggressively weaving, you'll nearly always discover it's some teenage kid in Mom or Dad's ride for the day.
    Last edited by bedabi; 04-17-2002 at 07:10 AM.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't feel so bad. The Cadillac SLS is a heavy car, but it still has a 32V Northstar V8 at 300 crank hp. There are supercharged Caddys out there, but I think those are limited to the Devilles. It's almost certainly a car you can beat off the line but our stock turbos won't do too well in the top end.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

SLS is detuned, 275 hp, STS has 300hp. They are very powerful FWD cars.
    Allow myself to introduce myself

I was dead even from a roll with a STS and could kill it from every light. You should have had him.
    Prodrive Headlight Conversion
    STi Front Grill
    Turbochargers.com Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade - T28 Compressor
    The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel
    Wagons Are Cool Check Out My Baby Here!

why are you guys launching at such low rpm? perfect launch is at 4k or so to get that slingshot effect!
    2000 GC8 EJ20 transplant
    Volk Rays TE37K 17x7.5 +48mm
    Stock 6spoke mat black w/ sticky S03s
    MRT flex joint uppipe
    MRT 3" turboback w/ custom Bozz speed dual N1 mufflers
    Samco IC hoses
    STi 4 piston caliper brake kit
    single stage brake booster kit
    SS brakelines
    TEIN type HA w/ pillowmounts
    Whiteline suspension bits
    Cusco suspension bits
    battery relocation mod
    STi Seats
    Greddy boost, egt, oil pressure gauges
    Zerosports center dash pod

I was half a$$ing it. (Agreed, the 4K launch with slipping the clutch is the way to go)
    The point of the story was not wether the WRX is faster than the caddy, but the suprising speed of such a big car, and you can never be 100% sure who will give you a go.
    Be alert the soccer mom in the mini van is eyeballing you.
    Silver Wagon- Rally Tarmac

UTEC stage 1, MRT Up pipe, GFB pulley kit, Samco IC hoses, GFB BOV, GReddy boost gauge

Prodrive P1, Tein wagon coilovers, MRT strut tops, Cusco front and rear anti sway bars, Cusco strut tower stiffener, MRT end link front, STI lateral links and trailing arms pillow ball type.

Factory painted side skirts

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Be alert the soccer mom in the mini van is eyeballing you.
    Or Dad's badass minivan: http://www.turbovan.net
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

I saw that video a while ago. One of my favs, especially the kids yelling, "Go, Dad, GOOOOO!"

Thumbs up

i gotta give my props to the guy with that turbo van. talkin' about a total sleeper!!! now im thinkin' if i should get one of those and mod the hell out of it!

lol
    2000 GC8 EJ20 transplant
    Volk Rays TE37K 17x7.5 +48mm
    Stock 6spoke mat black w/ sticky S03s
    MRT flex joint uppipe
    MRT 3" turboback w/ custom Bozz speed dual N1 mufflers
    Samco IC hoses
    STi 4 piston caliper brake kit
    single stage brake booster kit
    SS brakelines
    TEIN type HA w/ pillowmounts
    Whiteline suspension bits
    Cusco suspension bits
    battery relocation mod
    STi Seats
    Greddy boost, egt, oil pressure gauges
    Zerosports center dash pod

honda odyssey

i've occasionally given a people a run for their car's money in my parent's minivan. The look on their face when they see a minivan is passing them or keeping up with them is priceless. But i guess it makes sense cause the engines are big cause it is, well...a minivan. Honda Odyssey 225hp, 3.5 liter engine - Yea baby!
    *cough* ill try not to post anything as embarassing as that anymore
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Use that minivan and race ricers for pink slips

should have been able to beat a caddy

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.