STi vs Grand Prix COMP G!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on STi vs Grand Prix COMP G!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by soon2BWRXd I said that, because you said it doesn't beat the GP running 12.9 by much. And ...

Originally posted by soon2BWRXd
    I said that, because you said it doesn't beat the GP running 12.9 by much. And from what I have read STi's run 13.1...but from what I have seen they run 13.5....thats not close, thats .6 seconds off the pace! that is at least 1 car length..if not more.

But like you said it is good to compair stock for stock..but then you are compairing apples and Oranges when you compair a GTP to a STi...but oh well.
    Comparing stock to modded is apples to oranges as well. I've seen STi's in low 13s, so less than .3 seconds apart is close. When you say you show taillights, you tend to not mean winning by .5-1 cars. Even if the GTP runs 12.9, a stock STi will put up a HARD fight if driven well, so it will be a far cry from an easy win.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I said that, because you said it doesn't beat the GP running 12.9 by much. And from what I have read STi's run 13.1...but from what I have seen they run 13.5....thats not close, thats .6 seconds off the pace! that is at least 1 car length..if not more.

But like you said it is good to compair stock for stock..but then you are compairing apples and Oranges when you compair a GTP to a STi...but oh well.
    Well, I don't want to cause too much trouble, because I have mad respect for both cars...but the times you showed are obviously 1/4 mile times from a track. You have to figure that an STI is ripping the GTP a new one off the line (if the GTP is running 12.9s). So where is the GTP getting its lead? Probably on the top end.

In most situations on the street, the STI has the advantage simply because that modded GTP will have to wait until high speeds to get that lead.

What I'm trying to illustrate is that on the street, the STI is going to be a BIATCH to beat because most street races don't go into triple digits...well, at least I don't. I shouldn't generalize all of you like that But a lot of cars that are faster than the STI have worse 1/8 mile times I'll venture to bet...so the STI is going to run with, if not beat, most cars on the street due to the nature of the races.

And yes, there is always someone out there that's faster. It just isn't me!
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

youd be amazed at what a blitz sus and turboback exhaust do on the highway. pulls like a mofro.
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Gator, you have to agree with me that this board is FAR better than ClubGP...I mean the guys here actually discuss their opinions rather than just starting a flame war...LOL!

I completely agree, I spend twice the time here than at ClupGP. Clubgp is VERY big-headed when it comes to domestics. I for one love pretty much all cars and this forum is pretty open-minded to that.

As for the modded GP's you guys took my comments wayyy out of hand. There is always something faster, I was just joshing with asian, as he was me. Here is a list of the fastest GP's at clubgp:
    The fastest is a: 10.674@129.35 and I think you can safely say it WILL show a stock STI it's backend.

http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/qtrmile.asp
    Last edited by GTP_Gator; 09-25-2003 at 04:15 PM.
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

Originally posted by GTP_Gator
    I completely aggree, I spend twice the time here than at ClupGP. Clubgp is VERY big-headed when it comes to domestics. I for one love pretty much all cars and this forum is pretty open-minded to that.

As for the modded GP's you guys took my comments wayyy out of hand. There is always something faster, I was just joshing with asian, as he was me. Here is a list of the fastest GP's at clubgp:
    The fastest is a: 10.674@129.35 and I think you can safetly say it WILL show a stock STI it's backend.

http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/qtrmile.asp
    The 10.6 second GTP will show a stock STi its tail. But, again, comparing highly modded to stock is apples to oranges. It's fun to have a stock vehicle and claim to beat modded vehicles, but a stock vehicle can be modded too. I don't know of any 2.5L STi's that fast yet but it's all a matter of time.

RN

And from what I have read STi's run 13.1...but from what I have seen they run 13.5....thats not close, thats .6 seconds off the pace! that is at least 1 car length..if not more.
    It's actually around 25 meters. That's how far a vehicle travels at @ 98 mph in .6 of a second.

One thing that you guys forgot.... GTP's (97' and up till the new fugly ones) were never made w/ anything but slushbox. STi may me more fun to drive, but w/ a six speed putting a little bit of a damper on straight line racing times, it also adds more possibilities for stalling on launch, missing shifts, etc...

All the GP has to get down is the launch. Stiff rear shocks + drag radials = pretty d@mn low 60ft times for a fwd. After that... drop the hammer and go

There was an new WRX STI at the track last time I went, and he was running 2 tenths quicker than me (13.3's to my 13.5's). We never ran each other though. But I tell you this, you put a WRX STI and a modded GTP up against each other on the street, the STI (properly launched) is very likely going to kill the GTP out of the hole (given both cars are running on street tires) because of the AWD and major traction advantage. I was stuck in the 2.1-2.4's on my 60' times forever. It took me a very long time to really get a feel for launching a FWD car with a crapload of torque.

But when I'm on the street with my front tires at 40 psi, it's very very frustrating trying to get going during a race from a stop, even after lots of practice on the strip. I can be going like 25 mph in 1st gear, lay into the gas, and smoke 'em. Yea, great for showing off, but when you are racing someone from a dig it SUCKS. I love my GTP, but I would die for either AWD or RWD due to traction! My 2.051 sec. 60' was the best I've ever gotten. That was on a sticky track, with rear tire pressure at 45 psi and front tire pressure at 25 psi. I know new tires would help, but am not to the point where I really need them.

Just my 2 cents.....those STI's are sooo nice though.
    Last edited by DavesGTP; 12-11-2003 at 09:58 AM.
    Dave
    '01 GTP 4-dr
    Best ET: 13.490 @ 103.51
    2.115 sec. 60'
    Basic mods

I wouldn't kick them out of bed!
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

Originally posted by DavesGTP
    There was an new WRX STI at the track last time I went, and he was running 2 tenths quicker than me (13.3's to my 13.5's). We never ran each other though. But I tell you this, you put a WRX STI and a modded GTP up against each other on the street, the STI (properly launched) is very likely going to kill the GTP out of the hole (given both cars are running on street tires) because of the AWD and major traction advantage. I was stuck in the 2.1-2.4's on my 60' times forever. It took me a very long time to really get a feel for launching a FWD car with a crapload of torque.

But when I'm on the street with my front tires at 40 psi, it's very very frustrating trying to get going during a race from a stop, even after lots of practice on the strip. I can be going like 25 mph in 1st gear, lay into the gas, and smoke 'em. Yea, great for showing off, but when you are racing someone from a dig it SUCKS. I love my GTP, but I would die for either AWD or RWD due to traction! My 2.051 sec. 60' was the best I've ever gotten. That was on a sticky track, with rear tire pressure at 45 psi and front tire pressure at 25 psi. I know new tires would help, but am not to the point where I really need them.

What track? I was at Steele last Saturday and couldn't get traction worth crap...got rear wheel hop so instead of breaking into the 12s, my best was a 13.2.

RN

Originally posted by renichms
    What track? I was at Steele last Saturday and couldn't get traction worth crap...got rear wheel hop so instead of breaking into the 12s, my best was a 13.2.

RN
    Well the last time I went to the track I was at Steele on Sunday 11/9. I had tried to get some friends to go up there this past Saturday but nobody could make it so I did not go. A blue STI ran right before I ran for the first time that day (Nov 9). I saw it run once, right before I ran, and it ran a 13.3. I was right behind it in my burgundy 4-dr '01 GTP. I pulled a 13.56 that run and then my PB in sig my second run. Only ran 2 times. There were a ton of WRX's there that day I remember. One of my friends, Drew Smith, has a Grand Prix GT and hung out with you guys. I was there with a friend in a white GTP 4-dr. Were you there then too?
    Dave
    '01 GTP 4-dr
    2.115 sec. 60'
    Basic mods

Well the last time I went to the track I was at Steele on Sunday 11/9. I had tried to get some friends to go up there this past Saturday but nobody could make it so I did not go. A blue STI ran right before I ran for the first time that day (Nov 9). I saw it run once, right before I ran, and it ran a 13.3. I was right behind it in my burgundy 4-dr '01 GTP. I pulled a 13.56 that run and then my PB in sig my second run. Only ran 2 times. There were a ton of WRX's there that day I remember. One of my friends, Drew Smith, has a Grand Prix GT and hung out with you guys. I was there with a friend in a white GTP 4-dr. Were you there then too?
    I think I was there. I only got 2 runs. I was the blue STi that ran against the black WRX. My first run was a 13.155 and my other one was a 13.6. I believe I have video of at least one run of yours...I'll check soon. I also have some of Drew's runs.

RN

I think I was there. I only got 2 runs. I was the blue STi that ran against the black WRX. My first run was a 13.155 and my other one was a 13.6. I believe I have video of at least one run of yours...I'll check soon. I also have some of Drew's runs.

RN
    Cool. My first run was solo in the right lane, 13.56. My second run was next to my bud in the white GTP, I ran 13.52 to his 13.77.
    We should try and meet up there some Sunday afternoon early next year for some runs against each other for fun. You'd obviously have no trouble with me, but would with one of my friends from Decatur just got done with his black GTP (did many engine mods) and has yet to take it to the track for the first time.
    He should be in the 12.7 range untuned. He'll likely still have a few bugs to work out and a little tuning to do after he gets some good autotap logs of his runs. I think his goals are low 12's to high 11's....

Not me, I don't have the $ to spend on the car.
    Dave
    '01 GTP 4-dr
    2.115 sec. 60'
    Basic mods

Cool. My first run was solo in the right lane, 13.56. My second run was next to my bud in the white GTP, I ran 13.52 to his 13.77.
    We should try and meet up there some Sunday afternoon early next year for some runs against each other for fun. You'd obviously have no trouble with me, but would with one of my friends from Decatur just got done with his black GTP (did many engine mods) and has yet to take it to the track for the first time.
    He should be in the 12.7 range untuned. He'll likely still have a few bugs to work out and a little tuning to do after he gets some good autotap logs of his runs. I think his goals are low 12's to high 11's....

Not me, I don't have the $ to spend on the car.
    Once it warms up just a bit...50+ degrees and I'll go. I'll have my downpipe in by then too, so should be running easy in the 12s. Be sure to remind me when you guys go.

RN

Once it warms up just a bit...50+ degrees and I'll go. I'll have my downpipe in by then too, so should be running easy in the 12s. Be sure to remind me when you guys go.

RN
    Okay, will do. Yea, it's really too cold right now anyway. I'd never get traction. I'll send you an e-mail next time we all go.
    Dave
    '01 GTP 4-dr
    2.115 sec. 60'
    Basic mods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12