sti vs new M3
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on sti vs new M3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Raced an M3 last night, I was driving with my gurl and 2 friends in the back of my car. ...

sti vs new M3

Raced an M3 last night, I was driving with my gurl and 2 friends in the back of my car. An M3 with the driver and one passenger cuts me off and followed him, Then we started racing, I switch lane to the right and he stayed in the left lane, down shidt to 3rd gear and overtake him by 3 cars up to 5th gear, then i slowed down because there was lots of cars already ,He cuts me off again and i just let him go. i think he was pissed,

as of now, i only got Invidia DP,HKS BOV, and Blitz SUS intake on my Sti..

I dont know if i really beat him but im sure he was trying to race me also..
    04 STi
    04 749
    95 Legacy LSi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice kill, I'm dying to run one of those from a stop or roll. I had 2 guys in a new M3 kinda laugh and sneer at my car as they drove past. I caught up and noticed their windows down, so I gave them some turbo/ bov noise via SUS intake. Then, they decided to look the other way pretending I wasnt there
    There was too much traffic anyway, which is always the case around here
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    damn, I've never ran an STi but they must be pretty damn quick, cause the e46 m3s ive tangled with have been fast as hell!!!
    2003 SRT-4

whats the 1/4 mile time of new M3s? and how many HP ?
    04 STi
    04 749
    95 Legacy LSi

A new M3, assuming its a M/T, should hit very low, low 13s in stock form. They have 333hp and something like 260lbs. of torque.

Basicaly, stock v. stock, I would think the STI could take it from a dig, but from a roll...I don't see it happening. M3's are freakin' beasts from a roll

Anyway, that's mag racing and I am not even remotely close to calling BS so no one jump on my back please. The STI was modded for one..and it is the street.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

They seem to be so evenly matched that me thinks who ever gets the move (from a roll) would probably win.

T.

Im pushing 255whp etc with a close ratio gear set. I raced an E46 M3 from a roll and we would stay side by side for a 1st 2nd and 3rd he started to gain on me then 4th he gained a little more then 5th he gained more. Puttin prolly 2-3 car lengths between us when i got to 140 and let off. So with the STI you would need at least 300whp to put 3 lengths on a M3 IMO. And you might have close to that with oure mods.
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

Oh and i need to redo that race, my driveshaft was hanging free the whole time.
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

I love those M3s. I will go up against one someday...I know it
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

I have posted this elsewhere but I will repeat. Two of my friends have M3s. One witht he SMG, the other with the regular manual. The manual I raced from a stop and killed him. Was not even close. If it was the driver or not I am not sure but I clearly took him. Once rolling he was not gaining either. It is a convertible by the way.

The SMG I raced onthe highway and I took him as well. If he got the jump on the beepp beep beep he would pull a bit, but them I would squeek by. I am not sure what speed we went to but it was fricking fast. Perhaps way up top he would pull but I don't drive that fast anyways so I really don't care.

I was bone stock by the way at the time. I think Canadian STI's are running a bit quicker than the US ones as we have 94 octacne readily available.

Not flaming the m3's, I would trade mine for one ina heartbeat, but in my opinion, the STI's are definatley faster.
    Don't flame. Be nice

Hey bingo,

I am using 94 octane as well, We also have 100 octane for 5bucks/gallon available at SUnoco around north jersey, I havent try the 100 octane yet, maybe after I install the Boost controller and UTEC when it comes out from TURBOXS ,cant wait
    04 STi
    04 749
    95 Legacy LSi

Originally posted by bingo
    I have posted this elsewhere but I will repeat. Two of my friends have M3s. One witht he SMG, the other with the regular manual. The manual I raced from a stop and killed him. Was not even close. If it was the driver or not I am not sure but I clearly took him. Once rolling he was not gaining either. It is a convertible by the way.

The SMG I raced onthe highway and I took him as well. If he got the jump on the beepp beep beep he would pull a bit, but them I would squeek by. I am not sure what speed we went to but it was fricking fast. Perhaps way up top he would pull but I don't drive that fast anyways so I really don't care.

Cool..I think the STI and the M3 are a good match no matter how you look at it. I have to say though, the fact that you KILLED an M3 from a stop, don't you think that was due to the driver? Like I said, I'd give the edge to the STI from a stop regardless, but I still think it would be fairly close. It is pushing 333hp, granted you have a major torque advantage (around 40lbs/ft I believe) + AWD..but its not like you're racing a 333 hp Honda that can't hook up for ****

Well, I will say this one thing: I'd love to own either car, and I'd love to see a race between the two for sure. I've got a buddy with an E46 M3, but no one with an STI! Can't have it all I guess
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Smokey,

Could indeed be the driver. Standards are tough to drive when you have that much power and the tires light up. One wrong move and you are toast. I can say however that I did not have a great launch either as I really rode the clutch and it was slipping like crazy. He was not pulling once he hooked up either. Don't forget, I said it was a convertible. I think those numbers 0-60 are in the 5.2-5.5 sec range.

In any case, I was trembling when it was over....I kept thinking tomyslef....I just took an m3!!!

Is everyone else having this much fun withtheir STI's.

By the way, anyone know much about an APR kit for the 1.8t GTI's. I was raped by one the other day. Un frickin real how fast this thing was
    Don't flame. Be nice

Just got the October issue of the British car mag, Evo. In it they have a comparison test of the M3 CSL, Porsche GT3, and STi Spec C. Lots of data, but what's interesting is that in any contest of straight line speed the 335 HP STi (2 liter) is faster than the 355 HP BMW. 0-60 times are 5.3 sec for the M3 and 4.3 sec for the STi. For those who might think that the STi couldn't hold the M3 off at higher speeds, think again. All the way to 140 the STi is faster. In virtually all tests of roll on performance the STi is significantly faster. (like in 5th from 60-80 the M3 takes 5.3 sec versus 3.3 for the STi).

So, a US M3 has 333 HP and weighs significantly more than a CSL, while a US STi has just 300 HP, but probably more torque than the 2 liter version. Bottom line is that there seems to be no reason to believe than an E46 can beat an STi-spec Impreza in ANY contest of straight-line speed.

The GT3, however, is considerably faster than the other two past 60.

Dan

An E46 M3 should beat a stock or close to stock STi from a roll. But, anyway, nice kill cristian, you're obviously a better driver than the guy in the M3.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast