sti vs new M3 - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on sti vs new M3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; DEADPOOL has a strong point. I don't think anyone has proven that from 60-100 or 120 the STi can pull ...

DEADPOOL has a strong point. I don't think anyone has proven that from 60-100 or 120 the STi can pull 3-4 car lengths on the e46 m3. Please post some 60-100 times from your stock sti's. I am very curious. I believe the challenge is still out there and an m3 is ready and waiting for a STi to settle this issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Re: more fuel

Originally posted by DEADPOOL
    And as i said before, those are garbage times. The US M3 ran a 0-60 in 4.7 with a 1/4 in 13.1. I forgot the exact numbers of the CSL but it was faster (duh more power and lighter weight etc). Yes the STI will win in the 1/4 (driver dependant) but from a roll (depending on gear) we will have a close race. But i do beleive that the STI will have the edge with 1st and 2nd gear rolls but anything above that its going to be close and eventually in the 5th and 6th gears it will have the M3 with the edge IMO.
    Your opinion as to the accuracy of EVO's data is interesting. I suspect the difference in the times is more a reflection of test methodology differences (and maybe the...er....condition of the cars provided to the US mags) than anything else. After all, the Euro M3's seem to have the same specs as the US ones. no?

But, it does seem that we're making progress as you now seem to be able to acknowledge that an STi is faster in the lower gears...which the data published in EVO seem to say. If you look at the data again, it is clear that the M3 is gradually catching up with the STi, to the point where they are about even at 140. So, if your point is that the M3 will go a little faster on top, you're probably right.

Of course none of this negates the fact that the whole point of this is to illustrate the DIFFERENCE in powerband between the cars. That is that the E46 has great power between 6 and 8k, while the STi has great power between 2k and 7k. Again, real-world performance is all about the ability to go fast on real-world roads, something that the STi excels at.

As I said before, an STi will absolutely kill an E46 from 3k, 4k, and 5k RPM...and that the cars are pretty close at the top. Having driven both, it's pretty clear that this is the case.

The other observation one could make from looking at the EVO data is that the Porsche really goes! Very impressive car.

hey...this is my first ever post on clubwrx.....i joined for one reason and that is because i wanted to reply on this particular topic...first of all i own an 2003 wrx with not much done 2 it..so i am a subaru driver.....i love my car.....i love the sti...if i had to do it all over again i would of waited and bought the sti..but whoever thinks the sti can beat the new m3 convertible or not off a roll is on CRACK..a wrx can go off a launch with an m3 and still would not be able 2 take it all the way up to 120...you guys are all trying 2 be nice 2 eachother but here are some stats for u guys

clearly shows m3 should have no problem owning an sti on the freeway off a roll (these stats are off a launch)

http://www.car-videos.com/performanc...ID1=169&ID2=12

as you can clearly see ..0-120 the m3 does almost 2 seconds quicker than STI....keep going down ..look at 0-140..STI is 6 seconds slower than the m3..now remember ALL this is off a launch....which helps out the STI stats..off a roll..an STI would get killed....your mod list wont help u that much....you still wont have as much whp as an m3...you dont mess with german cars top end.....especially not an m3...look at the numbers....only way you beat him highway roll which in my opinion doesn't take much ''driving skill'' is if the guy was one gear higher than he should of been....or maybe his first day driving a manual car

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456