sti vs new M3 - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on sti vs new M3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Silver04Sti Are you trying to piss people off? "learn to read"......why don't you learn to read, I ...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: enough

Originally posted by Silver04Sti
    Are you trying to piss people off? "learn to read"......why don't you learn to read, I can read a signature and if you "read" my post you would have seen I said: "You seem to be the advocate of the m3 scene on this forum so if you are not an owner than perhaps there are some on this forum in Fl that can step up and accept your challenge.
    I saw that you said your friend had the m3 and was looking for sti challengers so I was addressing that. Not sure why you had to contemplate that I could not comprehend that message. Lame!
    Who cares if you have 255whp.....let's see your torque output. I know that a stock wrx is not 227/227 unlike the sti with 300/300.......i've had both, a wrx.....modded, and an sti and in my opinion my sti is stronger in the lower rpm's in terms of its ability to pull hard. Have you driven an sti?
    I beat a new m3 with my OLD car and I suspect that my sti will take one as well.....that's my opinion and until I see a number of statistical posts showing m3 guys spanking sti's then I will continue that opinion......Now if you and your skippy buddies in the m3 can prove me wrong so be it but let's see 10-20 cars of each caliber take a nice run and see the outcome.
    Kinda like it would be easy for someone to say that maybe you should get out of your car and let someone else run it against that m3 that beat you.....see.....kinda pisses you off now doesn't it?.......i'll tell you what.....i have an sti in ct that is ready to run an m3....i'm even a ****ty driver so i'm basically giving away 1/10 of the 10 car runs that I would like to gather stats on...i'm giving you bmw guys 1 easy win to race me..........my hunch is that even with my loss (assuming I suck so bad I lose) that you will still see an sti win when one looks across the board with an average of 10-20 or so races. If not, then cool...this thread is dead and can go away but like I said before I think it will be bmw guys who are shocked by the results.
    Guys in Fl.....prove me wrong........that's all i'm saying.....I just find it funny that in many of the posts people act like its not even possible when statistics from many mag's show that its quite possible indeed. Having beaten one myself I laugh even harder cause I know it can be done.
    ???????? . You need to learn how to make youre sentences clearer then. The way it was worded sounded as if you said we needed to find an M3 on the WRX forums, which is why i said you should re read my post about having already found a driver. Go take a business writing class and learn to clarify youre intentions (im only screwing with you so dont take it as a strike).

Also did the WRX you drove have a TXS stage 2 or a vishnu stage 2 (this will clear everything up quickly). Becouse theres no way a TXS stg2 will pull an M3 or even keep up with one, while on the other hand a vishnu will pull on an M3(from a roll that is). This is why i wanted to originally know youre dyno figures so i could figure out what the M3 driver was doing etc. I know it can be done also, you just need the power to do it. Its easy as hell to get them from a stop but from a roll you need a low to mid 12 sec REX, they dont go down that easy from a roll.

Also for my torque figures etc look in my sig. Im making similar power to the STI, similar gearing, im slighty lighter also. But lets get the two together and see what happens, i feel its gonna be close with the M3 eventually pulling up top after the STI tops out.
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

power to weight ratio is more important than just having the horsepower.

the new STi has power to weight ratio advantage over the M3. That's simple as that. The M3 CSL probably has better power to weight ratio than the STi. That's all I'm saying.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

True. The M3 weighs roughly 3400lbs and the STI is close to 3300lbs. So about a 100 pound difference between them. There is still the aerodynamics as well as the 30+hp difference between them which is why (in theory) i believe it will be a very good "Drivers" race. Of course once the STI touches the exhaust and a few other small things the M3 is going to be seing nothing but bumper .

Originally posted by bingo
    I have posted this elsewhere but I will repeat. Two of my friends have M3s. One witht he SMG, the other with the regular manual. The manual I raced from a stop and killed him. Was not even close. If it was the driver or not I am not sure but I clearly took him. Once rolling he was not gaining either. It is a convertible by the way.

The SMG I raced onthe highway and I took him as well. If he got the jump on the beepp beep beep he would pull a bit, but them I would squeek by. I am not sure what speed we went to but it was fricking fast. Perhaps way up top he would pull but I don't drive that fast anyways so I really don't care.

I was bone stock by the way at the time. I think Canadian STI's are running a bit quicker than the US ones as we have 94 octacne readily available.

Not flaming the m3's, I would trade mine for one ina heartbeat, but in my opinion, the STI's are definatley faster.

OK, I guess I am dumb BUT, it seems that there are two of us that have raced the new M3 (mine quoted above). We both beat them. I would suggest this clears things up....no?
    Don't flame. Be nice

I love both cars the STi and the M3. I wish i had both but I don't

back to the original point of the story. 3 car length from 60-120 (i am estimating by the gears used) is a little hard for me to grasp thats all. The STi should take the M3 in the 1/4 no questions. But from 60-120 it should be closer than that.

If two cars can't come together, can someone figure out their STi's (stock) times from 60-100 or 60-120 please and post it. And people with M3 can do the same and compare (no cheating ) I will be happy to provide some WRX and M5 times. I know its not accurate but should be interesting.

For what it's worth:
    from ktr performance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sti_stock.gif  
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

I thought they were dynoing in the 250-260 range?

228.5 would mean about 24% drivetrain loss. I dunno what it's supposed to be for the sti but this doesn't sound out of the question. 250-260 at the wheels would only be 15% loss and that is a lot less than the wrx.
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

It could also be that the STI is under rated at the crank. And if its not and is only making 230whp then i certainly dont see a stock one keeping up with an M3 on the highway (maybe for a few sec but then the M3 would walk away).

That is a dynodynamics dyno which reads lower than others out there that we are used to. FYI on this dyno, Lambo Diablos don't put down too much more than 320WHP. On this same dyno, my car puts down 250whp. On this dyno, the more HP you gain, the less the dyno numbers go up.

When converted to what you would see on TurboXS' dyno, the 250whp jumps to 290whp.... The STi's number would jump to about 250whp.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Originally posted by jigga
    That is a dynodynamics dyno which reads lower than others out there that we are used to. FYI on this dyno, Lambo Diablos don't put down too much more than 320WHP. On this same dyno, my car puts down 250whp. On this dyno, the more HP you gain, the less the dyno numbers go up.

When converted to what you would see on TurboXS' dyno, the 250whp jumps to 290whp.... The STi's number would jump to about 250whp.
    Thanks for clearing that up . Ya i was confused becouse i knew my car was about equal to the STI (pulling similar 1/4 runs etc) so i know its going to be a close race. Now all we need is a south fl STI.

more fuel

...for the fire.

I've been away for a week, so I'm a little behind on this most exciting discussion. In reading through some of the posts I did come across something that I'd thought I'd comment on though. Someone mentioned that they thought that the results posted by the M3 tested by Evo were unusually slow, but in fact immediately following the article cited is another article comparing the CSL to the "normal" M3. For the record the normal M3 did zero to 60 in 5.1 seconds versus 5.3 for the CSL, while quarter mile numbers were 13.7/105 for the normal and 13.7/107 for the CSL. One of the reasons for this could be that the CSL comes exclusively with the SMG gearbox, while the normal version was tested with the standard 6 speed. The article goes on to say that there really isn't much difference in power between the two. The point here is that both cars were pretty close, so the assertion that the CSL tested was an abberation doesn't seem to hold water.

Another interesting observation (which I'd heard several times before) is the comment made about brakes. I am quoting the (second) article..."Given that M3 brakes are a standing joke amongst trackday goers, it seems unforgivable that the CSL retains essentially the same fade-prone stoppers as its lesser brother".

Enough M3 bashing. The point of this whole discussion is that an STi (yes, even an American one) has comparable top end power to an E46 and a much broader powerband. The acceleration times lower down in the rev range make that painfully clear.

Beyond this, neither of these cars is intended to be a drag racer. One would be foolish to buy either one for this purpose when one can buy a Z28 for less $ that certainly has enormous straight line (and not bad cornering) capabilities/potential. Determining how fast a car is by looking only at quarter mile times really misses the mark if the intent is to drive the car fast on real roads with turns and such. For anyone who has raced an E36 and E46 on a curvy mountain road it's pretty clear that the E46 is not the faster car. They don't have the low-end power, they don't handle as well, and their brakes are inferior. Where the E46 has a big advantage in on the autostrada where top end power is king. So, for those who drive across Nevada at felonious speeds (I've been accused of that) the E46 is a pretty darn effective tool. (although not as effective as a Corvette) For real-world curvy road stuff at speeds of less than 120 the E36 is better...and for drag racing you might as well stick with a Z28. Of course all of this makes a $32k STi see like a hell of a deal.

nice

interesting comments......and all along i've just said that i think an sti is definitely worthy comp for an m3......sounds like you are echoing my sentiments
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

STi vs. M3 E46

Just thought I'd throw this out there. I just came home from an impromptu stoplight run with an M3 E46. I was sitting at a light talking to my gf(she was in the car) and an M3(just one person in the car) pulled up. I didn't even look at him and he didn't look at me. I was not planning on racing, BUT I was going to make damn sure that if he got on it I was not going to be caught napping. Neither of us revved in any way before the light changed. Before the light changed I prepared for a good launch without revving to 5000 and dumping. When the light changed he took off as if he were thinking the same thing. ie: no wheel spin but a good hard launch. I could have launched much harder and much more quickly. After the first 20 feet, we were into it as hard as we could though. Result: I pulled on him continuously in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Once in 4th we had to let off. BUT, at the end I was maybe 1.5 car lengths ahead, probably only 1 car length. My take: very close(and good) race where broader torque curve was the margin of victory. For comparison's sake, my STi is stock running 93 octane. I also own a TXS stage 2 WRX and if I had been in that car I would have lost by a good margin in this race.

Just thought I'd share.

Shark
    Shark

Re: more fuel

Originally posted by dangrass
    ...for the fire.

I've been away for a week, so I'm a little behind on this most exciting discussion. In reading through some of the posts I did come across something that I'd thought I'd comment on though. Someone mentioned that they thought that the results posted by the M3 tested by Evo were unusually slow, but in fact immediately following the article cited is another article comparing the CSL to the "normal" M3. For the record the normal M3 did zero to 60 in 5.1 seconds versus 5.3 for the CSL, while quarter mile numbers were 13.7/105 for the normal and 13.7/107 for the CSL. One of the reasons for this could be that the CSL comes exclusively with the SMG gearbox, while the normal version was tested with the standard 6 speed. The article goes on to say that there really isn't much difference in power between the two. The point here is that both cars were pretty close, so the assertion that the CSL tested was an abberation doesn't seem to hold water.

Another interesting observation (which I'd heard several times before) is the comment made about brakes. I am quoting the (second) article..."Given that M3 brakes are a standing joke amongst trackday goers, it seems unforgivable that the CSL retains essentially the same fade-prone stoppers as its lesser brother".

Enough M3 bashing. The point of this whole discussion is that an STi (yes, even an American one) has comparable top end power to an E46 and a much broader powerband. The acceleration times lower down in the rev range make that painfully clear.

Beyond this, neither of these cars is intended to be a drag racer. One would be foolish to buy either one for this purpose when one can buy a Z28 for less $ that certainly has enormous straight line (and not bad cornering) capabilities/potential. Determining how fast a car is by looking only at quarter mile times really misses the mark if the intent is to drive the car fast on real roads with turns and such. For anyone who has raced an E36 and E46 on a curvy mountain road it's pretty clear that the E46 is not the faster car. They don't have the low-end power, they don't handle as well, and their brakes are inferior. Where the E46 has a big advantage in on the autostrada where top end power is king. So, for those who drive across Nevada at felonious speeds (I've been accused of that) the E46 is a pretty darn effective tool. (although not as effective as a Corvette) For real-world curvy road stuff at speeds of less than 120 the E36 is better...and for drag racing you might as well stick with a Z28. Of course all of this makes a $32k STi see like a hell of a deal.
    And as i said before, those are garbage times. The US M3 ran a 0-60 in 4.7 with a 1/4 in 13.1. I forgot the exact numbers of the CSL but it was faster (duh more power and lighter weight etc). Yes the STI will win in the 1/4 (driver dependant) but from a roll (depending on gear) we will have a close race. But i do beleive that the STI will have the edge with 1st and 2nd gear rolls but anything above that its going to be close and eventually in the 5th and 6th gears it will have the M3 with the edge IMO.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast