sti vs new M3 - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on sti vs new M3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; putting 3 car lengths on a m3 on the highway in a short time is an amazing feat. You must ...

putting 3 car lengths on a m3 on the highway in a short time is an amazing feat. You must have a fast sti don't trade it for anything. I wonder if he dowshifted as well as you did or were in the right gear. But anyways good kill.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by smokey
    A new M3, assuming its a M/T, should hit very low, low 13s in stock form. They have 333hp and something like 260lbs. of torque.

Basicaly, stock v. stock, I would think the STI could take it from a dig, but from a roll...I don't see it happening. M3's are freakin' beasts from a roll

Anyway, that's mag racing and I am not even remotely close to calling BS so no one jump on my back please. The STI was modded for one..and it is the street.
    I beat a new m3 on the HIGHWAY one day with my old modded stage 2-3 WRX.....and that car was capable of low 13's and I pulled him pretty hard....2-3 cars...I have no doubt that an sti could pull one from the highway as well cause of the torque that car puts out.....
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Originally posted by Silver04Sti
    I beat a new m3 on the HIGHWAY one day with my old modded stage 2-3 WRX.....and that car was capable of low 13's and I pulled him pretty hard....2-3 cars...I have no doubt that an sti could pull one from the highway as well cause of the torque that car puts out.....
    Well, I stand corrected..I wonder what M3 sites have to say about this issue?

Its not that I'm calling BS or even REMOTELY trying to argue, I just thought 333hp and the gearing the M3's had, well, they were supposedly beats from a roll.

I guess I was wrong.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Originally posted by madmmt
    putting 3 car lengths on a m3 on the highway in a short time is an amazing feat. You must have a fast sti don't trade it for anything. I wonder if he dowshifted as well as you did or were in the right gear. But anyways good kill.
    Maybe not such an amazing feat at all. Following is data from this month's Evo mag test:

M3 CSL STi Spec C
    3rd gear:
    50-70 2.8 sec 2.2 sec
    60-80 2.9 sec 2.6 sec

4th gear:
    50-70 4.2 sec 2.5 sec
    60-80 4.1 sec 2.7 sec
    70-90 4.0 sec 3.1 sec
    80-100 4.2 sec 3.6 sec

5th gear:
    50-70 5.6 sec 3.3 sec
    60-80 5.3 sec 3.3 sec
    70-90 5.3 sec 3.4 sec
    80-100 5.5 sec 3.7 sec
    90-110 5.7 sec 4.4 sec
    110-130 7.3 sec 6.6 sec

6th gear:
    50-70 8.1 sec 5.1 sec
    60-80 7.8 sec 4.6 sec
    70-90 7.6 sec 4.9 sec
    80-100 7.8 sec 4.8 sec
    90-110 8.4 sec 5.2 sec
    100-120 9.1 sec 5.8 sec

Bottom line is that there is nowhere where the M3 is as fast as the STi. From 70-90 an STi in 6th would beat an M3 in 5th. The M3 would have to be down to 4th to take the STi....and if the STi were in 4th there would be no contest.

I apolgize for asking this, and it may sound stupid, but aren't you comparing two totally different cars than what we are talking about?

And honestly, if an STI is talking an M3 THAT BADLY (as you are trying to illustrate) from a roll, am I to believe that it is handling C5's and Cobra's from a roll?

Honestly, these are questions, not flaming or even snide remarks.

I apolgize for asking this, and it may sound stupid, but aren't you comparing two totally different cars than what we are talking about?

No, I don't think so. While it would be ideal to have similar data for a US-spec M3 and a US spec STi, the Evo data are the most comprehensive that I've seen, and should be very close to what one would expect to see in the US-spec cars. I would guess that if anything the US-spec STi would have a greater advantage over the US-spec M3 due to having the 2.5 liter motor, which should be torquier. Any which way, the results would be pretty close.

And honestly, if an STI is talking an M3 THAT BADLY (as you are trying to illustrate) from a roll, am I to believe that it is handling C5's and Cobra's from a roll?

Data is data. I'm not trying to illustrate anything other than all the anecdotal inputs are just that. From the Evo data it appears entirely reasonable to believe that an STi should be able to beat an M3. BTW, the Evo data, although more comprehensive than the US mag data, is not at all in conflict with what Car and Driver/Road and Track have to say. The cars are indeed very close through the quarter mile, but what's apparent is that the STi has a much broader powerband.

The only part of all this that seems at all controversial is the "from a roll" stuff. While the conventional wisdom suggests that an M3 will pull away at higher speeds, the data does not support that contention.

Having owned a 2001 C5 and having driven a 2003 M3 extensively (along with my lowly Cobb stage 1 WRX) I am not surprised at all to hear that STi's are competitive against M3's. As compared to a C5, the quarter mile times are nearly identical, but unlike the M3, the C5 will start pulling in a big way once you're will into triple digit speeds, and the date reflect this. I have no personal experience with Cobra's other than having read the tests, and per the tests, they are hideously fast up to 130 or so...and have broad powerbands. I would imagine that a Cobra would positively kill an M3 in any kind of straight-line speed contest.

new M3 and I went from aout 20mph to 80mph and we stayed pretty even.

no doubts an sti can pull on it.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

Originally posted by dangrass
    Cool man, thanks for clarifying.

Evo page

Here's the page from the Evo magazine that I've cited.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails evo scan.jpg  

Driver skill and gear selection are everything from a roll.
    I beat a C5 from a 2nd gear roll up to about 90mph in my STi.
    I have full catless turbo back exhaust as my only mod.

I also beat a new M3, but that race was from a dead stop. I got him off the line. Don't know how well I would have done from a roll. He was hanging pretty tuff a couple cars back.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    [B]Driver skill and gear selection are everything from a roll.

FYI...at the dyno event at ATP in Fremont last weekend there was an STi with a header and full catless exhaust that pulled 275 HP. By comparison the stock STi's running pulled 240-250.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX

I also beat a new M3, but that race was from a dead stop. I got him off the line. Don't know how well I would have done from a roll. He was hanging pretty tuff a couple cars back.
    Eh, you're a bad example of a normal driver...pulling a 12.77 out of Stage 4, that's probably better than 99% of Stage 4 times out there. You could probably jump in most any car and beat faster ones with your skills.

Not sure if there is enough race data with these cars to say, I would venture to say that a cobra would take the sti on the highway because i've been in both and driven both....as for the c5, I've been trying to get a few to run me on 684 but they won't go.......hopefully I can post something win or lose at some point....but to answer your question I haven't seen many sti/c5 posts at all so who really knows what will happen until the posting begins on that.
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Re: Evo page

Originally posted by dangrass
    Here's the page from the Evo magazine that I've cited.
    Uh ya buddy, maybe you should read that article to realize just how different those cars are in comparison to what we get in the states .

The spec c is making i believe 325hp with a completely reworked engine and suspension etc etc etc. And the M3 is a lighter weight version etc with i believe the same basic engine.

Also to the guy the stg2-3 rex how much power were you putting to the ground?

From a roll the STI is making less whp then the M3. The STI has about 255 and the M3 has roughly 280-285whp. I believe its possible to slightly pull depending on driver but in no way are you going to put car lengths on one from a roll. The top end power of the M3 is amazing and not easily beaten.
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Driver skill from a roll is an oxymoron.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast