STi vs. WRX

This is a discussion on STi vs. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello... I was wanted to know if anyone knew of a web site/ documentation where I could compare a WRX ...

Question WRX Vs. STi

Hello... I was wanted to know if anyone knew of a web site/ documentation where I could compare a WRX to an STi version. I want to look at the fine details if possible....

Thanks..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The STi =
    WRX -5 spd tranny +6 spd tranny
    +Limited Slip Diffs all the way around including electrohydrolic center diff
    +Bigger Turbo and fuel system
    +8,000rpm redline
    +Continuously variable valve timing
    +17" Wheels and MUCH BETTER TIRES
    + " i " logos instead of Subaru logos
    + The panache of being able to hang with some of the most expensive cars in the world while being behind the wheel of a car that costs ~$30,000.

-Jim

Theory

Would this have any truth to it?

It would be better to buy a WRX and put some good modifications on it then an STi and have to pay more for the STi stright out and have to pay more in insurance over the years... I dunno... just a thought. I guess I'm saying how much of an increase in performance would you get from an STi then a modified WRX compared to how much money you will drop on an STi?

Re: Theory

No matter what you do to a WRX, it still needs the STi's powertrain to be as good as the STi. The six speed and limited slip diffs are better, stronger and did I say better, than the WRX five speed and AWD.

Originally posted by Primus
    Would this have any truth to it?

It would be better to buy a WRX and put some good modifications on it then an STi and have to pay more for the STi stright out and have to pay more in insurance over the years... I dunno... just a thought. I guess I'm saying how much of an increase in performance would you get from an STi then a modified WRX compared to how much money you will drop on an STi?

Jim,

Should we also add: cuts, sweat, blood, frustration and what? At least $12,000 of mods to it?
    And, no offense but you wouldn't have the Subaru engineer standing next to you to guide you on how to build it properly. I know there are guys out there who could do it. How much for labor??!

I thought about my wish list. It's at $8,500 right now. Simple stuff at the cheapest price. Intake, exhaust system, injectors, larger turbo, bigger braking system, larger stronger wheels, chip, gauges, etc. Didn't include a STI transmission and didn't include a different suspension system. So I would save that money and use it towards a down payment for a STI... if they ever bring it here. If the EVO is succesful starting January 2003 for the advertised price(30K?...), then Subaru might consider bringing it here. I know, I know... some people swear it's coming, some people got official emails from Subaru saying they haven't decided anything yet... we'll see. If the STI is $40,000, then I'm out. I love my car but hey, I want a house, barbecue, pool and a big backyard.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

STI vs. WRX

What does everyone think about the STI vs. the WRX . Would it be worth it to make a trade for the STI when it comes out or just wait for the second version. I just wanted to know what people thought about the two cars compared?
    wrxfx Intake
    K&N Filter
    OZ 17" Superleggera
    Dunlop 215/45 W-10
    Brullen Cat-Back

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    i doubt by the time the sti comes out that i'll be able to trade in my wrx, cause i'll have too many mods on it to get a good price on it. but if you keep your wrx fairly stock, i guess it would be a good idea. my friend is doing exactly that, and is waiting till 2003 for the sti to come in. its only like 30k-34k, right?

I dont know how good this information is but I talked to a subaru salesman who said the sti was gonna be 34 grand and that they are only gonna get 3 or 4 per dealership. He said there is a huge demand, hes got two people in line to put down deposits as soon as possible and that they will probably ask 5k over sticker price.
    super sleeper

Warning: MotorMatrix owes ClubWRX.net Advertisement Fees and refuses to pay. Do not buy ANYTHING from MotorMatrix or SubaruPower.com!
    i like the six speed tranny and thats about it for the price. it will be all of 30K+!! It will not come to us with 276hp, i can bet you that. If it does plan to pay 40k for it. The STI makes more power than our wrx cause of less restrictions. Dont get me wrong if you run the wrx with no cats you wont see 50 hp. But i think the true bang for the buck is lost if it is over 35k. hell the new mustang will have 390hp stock for 35k. do you think an STI will catch that car if the owner just changes the blower pulley. I doubt it!! The new mustang will run 12's no problem with just a pulley change.

Plus, the if the STI comes it will give me a chance to whip people in my Slow Wrx.
    Last edited by MotorMatrix; 04-09-2002 at 05:40 PM.

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    i think people like the idea of having more power in a subie that stays in stock form. to get a normal wrx to that level, you'd have to drop a few g's on it, and you loose out on resale value and such. but yeah, if the sti is more than 35k, it won't be worth it, as far as the price/power ratio goes.

p.s. im scared sh*tless of the new mustang that thing will be a beast