STI vs. EVO VII
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on STI vs. EVO VII within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I picked up the new Automobile that gave a review of the 16 cars worth waiting for. In the article ...

STI vs. EVO VII

I picked up the new Automobile that gave a review of the 16 cars worth waiting for. In the article they compared the STI vs. EVO VII and IMO they did not have to many good things to say about the STI (compared to the EVO). One thing the STI does have that the EVO does not is looks.
    wrxfx Intake
    K&N Filter
    OZ 17" Superleggera
    Dunlop 215/45 W-10
    Brullen Cat-Back

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

STi will crush the Evo, doesn't matter what the mags say. Hell, even the base WRX will kill the Evo.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

I Support ClubWRX
    As much as I like the WRX, I've got to say that a standard WRX being better than an EVO is wishful thinking to say the least.

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    did you actually read the article? the evo VII really is a good car, and it WILL beat a normal wrx - you'd need an sti to roll with that evo.

snoword: i agree - the article didn't say many nice things about the sti. personally im not swayed cause i know the sti is a good car anyway, but i hate how it tried to give a lesser (even bad) impression of the sti. one thing the sti does have on the evo is price. some 10k.....hahhahaha!!!! beat that mitsubishi!

The beginning of the article says something about preparing for a US showdown. This makes the article unfair and not very telling because I don't think that the version of the VII that they tested is coming to the US. They tested what seems to be a full blown Japanese version of that car. Look at the front bumper with the obvious large intercooler. This cooler and bumper doesn't work with 5 mph US requirements from what I hear and the VII that is coming to the states has a smaller intercooler, modified bumper and 250 hp. I somehow doubt the US car is the exact version that they tested. I could be wrong, but a 276 BHP evo in the US is new to me.

They did, however, use what would be a US STI (same output as Euro cars, 262 vs the Japanese 276 hp).

Top Gear, a Brit television show, had an STI VS. Evo 7 prelim test on a wet track. They seemed to like the STI on first impressions. They might have been testing a Japanese spec STI though.

It just doesn't make sense to compare milder US versions to Japanese versions.

It seems to me that the Rex and Evo cars are just getting used to the US market and it probably won't be until the next STI and EVO 8 come that they will compare to what they have in the land of the rising sun.

One other note, automobile thought the price of an STI will be 30k while the Evo will be 37k. An Sti with 7k into it would destroy the evo.
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

Tiff Needle(?) said that he would take the STi over the EVO VII in that one video. I think I'll just listen to him.

As for base WRX being better than EVO....... don't even bother..

Originally posted by RSXSucks
    STi will crush the Evo, doesn't matter what the mags say. Hell, even the base WRX will kill the Evo.
    'Informed, I am not.'

I'm starting to think you don't really own an RSX after all, and that SOA has hired you as part of some underhand marketing ploy.

?

-Pace

I Support ClubWRX
    Tiff Needell has got to be one of the funniest test drivers I've ever seen. Actually the whole crew from Top Gear is cool. The BBC cancelled Top Gear in Nov but has brought it back on air. Meanwhile the entire crew moved to Channel 5 for a show called Fifth Gear. Yes the cars that Tiff was reviewing were JDM spec STi and EVO VII; in Britain, there are a lot of grey importers bringing in goodies from other countries and don't charge a whole lot(usually) unlike North American greys. If you've downloaded many of Tiff's reviews, you recall that Tiff hates understeer though he notes the "STi does understeer more than the Mitsubishi...it's not quite as sharp".....I suspect he likes it more because the STi slides easier while the EVO suits tarmac carving a little more....again, if you've watched Tiff drive, you know sliding is a favourite trick.

Jeremy, "I suggest you use the middle pedal....now...now!(worried expression for fear of his life-and this is the guy who test drove the Sky GTR, sliding it around)"
    -Tiff catapults the rear of the Puma around bends, no brakes and at some point even shifts mid-slide(usually an iffy situation).

Hate to bring this up, but ever since i got the WRX, i've been hearing nothing but evo vii this and evo that!!! i keep telling them that it's the sti that'll be the competition, not my lil wrx!!!

---is just tired, RaCinWRX

wait till i become RaCinSTI hehehehe

Its been brought up before though. A WRX will be cheaper to insure, and with even the 6-7k worth of mods on the WRX it'll beat the EVO.

I'm keepin my WRX.

read the last paragraph of that article. it says that mitsu is shipping 2003. meanwhile, subaru still isnt saying anything for sure...
    leo d.
    04 JBP Sti

I've got a 240 stock hp 240 Edition Galant VR4 drivetrain waiting to go back to the US with me. I want to make a sleeper 11sec 1992 Galant VR4. Guys in Japan run the STI and Evo owners with them with no problems at the drags so why not do it in the US. Both are nice cars but after seeing a stock Evo7 with a boost controller running 20lbs of boost and take me by half a car I'd have to go with the Evo. That is unless Mitsu of America screws with pricing once again on its sports cars. Otherwise I'll find a old 3KGT VR4 with the 6spd in it. Wonder what the left over $10K would do to that thing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.