Okay...WHATS A REAL 0-60 TIME and WHY DID I LOOSE TO MY FRIENDS GRAND AM?? - Page 9
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

This is a discussion on Okay...WHATS A REAL 0-60 TIME and WHY DID I LOOSE TO MY FRIENDS GRAND AM?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hmmm, another way to lighten the load might be putting helium in your tires, have to try that.... Lemonherb, congrats ...

Hmmm, another way to lighten the load might be putting helium in your tires, have to try that.... Lemonherb, congrats on the catch can, it must look sweet. Can't go wrong with the carbon fiber unit.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The weight reduction is amazeing.

BriSalig

Today is the big day! Tonight rather. I have a date with my somewhat injured girlfriend first...very early...and then after that Im takin her home...tucking her into bed...and headin out to my friend wes's house...(the kid with the grand am)

Does the amt of fuel I have in the car matter? I am very low now (but have enough to make it out and back...should i fill it before the race...or will that slow me down. I wanna not only walk on him, but slaughter him off the line.
    If you lose again, never post here again!
    -Andrew

Originally posted by BriSalig
    Today is the big day!

Tonight rather. I have a date with my somewhat injured girlfriend first...very early...and then after that Im takin her home...tucking her into bed...and headin out to my friend wes's house...(the kid with the grand am)

Does the amt of fuel I have in the car matter? I am very low now (but have enough to make it out and back...should i fill it before the race...or will that slow me down. I wanna not only walk on him, but slaughter him off the line.

Dude, you can piss in the tank and beat a Grand AM !

Fill the tank up and woop him. Then shoot him afterwards. Ok, Too far, sorry.

Hell, You dont need gas, just put it on Neutral, cut your shirt and make a sail and let the wind do the work.
    Bleeding true blue.

"That gasp you just heard was National League hitters after hearing that Mark Prior has added a couple extra MPH to his fastball this winter."

-Will Carroll-

03 Blue rex - Sold
    04 Black Forester XT - Nice

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by 03 blue rex

Hell, You dont need gas, just put it on Neutral, cut your shirt and make a sail and let the wind do the work.
    That is excellent. Watch out, the Grand Am that you ran against may be running boost fluid instead of motor oil, in which case his engine pushing closer to 290 hp at the wheels .

Less weight = faster acceleration

simple physics that any car guy should know.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

Originally posted by 03 blue rex

A napkin is known to sometimes be as sufficient as a t-shirt.

Just pretend your Kenny Bernstein, get a good launch, and your buddy will be checking out your dual tips

If you loose, you might want to look into a new turbo, maybe an IHI VF100, I've heard it pumps 1 gallon of boost fluid per second, that along with a oversized catch can, and BFBOV, nobody can beat you!!! Even big Kenny B

Now go out there and kick some Grand Am tail!!!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:

Originally posted by B-Rex
    On a somewhat serious note, make sure you haven't accidently put it in "valet mode". I think if you have the upgraded security (or maybe it is just the keyless entry alone, I don't know), if you have the driver door open and hold down one of the buttons for 2 seconds it will valet it. I presume this means no boost, no fun. Prevents any Ferris Bueller's Day Off re-enactments. Also I guess one of the keys they give you automatically does that. Apparently some light flashes on the dash if this happens (right next to BF Temp gauge. )

G-d damn it. I'll bite - I even created a new moniker since I'm so embarassed to actually ask this question.

Pls. tell me that you're only noob-baiting when you say that the valet key actually cuts off boost at a certain level.

(I went autox'ing in my autowagon the other day, and I'm looking for any excuses.)

Originally posted by imanoob
    G-d damn it. I'll bite - I even created a new moniker since I'm so embarassed to actually ask this question.

Pls. tell me that you're only noob-baiting when you say that the valet key actually cuts off boost at a certain level.

(I went autox'ing in my autowagon the other day, and I'm looking for any excuses.)
    The new name thing is funny. Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.
    This was one of them.

(I went autox'ing in my autowagon the other day, and I'm looking for any excuses.) [/B][/QUOTE]

I haven'ty tried it myself but I am quite serious. I know you definitely CAN put it in valet mode, and I would be very surprised if such a mode would allow the turbo to come on. Or mabe it just keeps the speed governed to 45 or something, not sure. Maybe I will try it today, even though I hate the thought of doing that to her...

Look in owners manual index under valet, is on page 2-17 in mine.
    2004 Platinum XT

Alright, where's the post from our boy, telling us how he wooped on that grand am? Maybe he's out refilling his boost fluid after last nights race I can't believe I am actually waiting to see if he won, like it's some great accomplishment to beat a stock grand am
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

You know what could be funny. His friend has a super modified sleeper grand am and just never tells him, and this kid doesn't know enough to tell the differnce. So he races him and loses, get mods and races again and loses, get a BFCC and loses. Mods more and loses, and then throws himself off a bridge because he thinks he is the worst driver alive. Or like shoots of a walmart.
    -Andrew

Here we go.

It was raining all day here in stl...so I was a little concerned that wes would not wanna race due to the slick ground. I was not to keen on it either. By about 6:30, my phone rang. Wes said the streets are dry enough out on lindbergh. I sighed, and told him I had to take liz out..and we'd race after. (for some reason, liz does not like to be in the car when I race...she just makes fun of me...she has no love or passion about cars.) Right after we got off the phone, I called him back, and said..lets go now..ill be a little late to liz's house. I met him at his house, and we began to head towards the spot on linderberg. NO TRAFFIC...WOW! This would be perfect...I had my V1 on...and we were ready to rock. The speed limit out here on lindberg is about 45 mph. At the light, we rolled up front tire to front tire. The other light was already yellow!!! I thought for sure I was screwed...I didnt have time to think about it....just as I was able to get my first few revs in, the light changed, and we were off. I got a decent launch at 4200 rpm....(when the engine engaged it dropped to like 3k) I dropped my foot all the way to the floor....to the top of first. By this time I was 1 length infront of him. Right at 6200 rpm...i quick shifted into 2nd. Off the clutch and back on the throttle, he was way back there. I took 2nd to the top, and rode a good ways into 3rd. I shut down at about 75mph. I looked back(YES THATS RIGHT,LOOKED BACK) and he was a good 6-8 car lengths behind me.
    I WON!

I feel bad about beating on my car soo hard thou...will it recover??

P.S, to make the night worse...we were both at a party later that night, and wes had to drive around this girl...she was totally wasted. She threw up in his grand am! My liz stayed pretty sober...and did not throw up. So in the end, I came out on top twice.

P.S.S Were gonna have another race really soon....maybe tonight. Ill post about that one too...I really wanna walk on him.
    2004 Silver WRX

Why the hell are you shifting at 6200 in a race? 7000 is redline, and atleast my car edges a bit past that before it cuts.
    -Andrew

the torque corves. It peaks at 5800...Im shocked that I waited till 6200 even. I should have shifted at 5800. Or maybe not?!
    2004 Silver WRX

Well even if you hit peak power at that point, the acceleration in that geat is still better. Plus you figure say you shift at 5800 rpms you drop to like 3000 Rpms in the next right (im just guessing I don't know for sure) which is the low end of the power band and you may even have to spool a bit at that point. If you shift at 7k you will drop to say 4200, which is a stronger part of the powerband and no need to spool. Now maybe in fourth gear because you are going to drop off boost at like 5500 you may wanna short shift, but I think it hurts you in the lower gears.
    -Andrew