the XT is not as fast as C&D say it is.... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on the XT is not as fast as C&D say it is.... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Kanchou 85 in a Blazer or an f150 doesn't feel as fast as it does in a ...

Originally posted by Kanchou
    85 in a Blazer or an f150 doesn't feel as fast as it does in a Grand am.

Consider ride height to mess with your speed perceptions
    This seems opposite to me. When I'm in a truck or van it feels like your flying at 70mph. In my rex at 90 it feels more like 60. I guess this could also be how smooth the ride is in my wrx on the highway?

-Fess

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Who cares if a Forester is a couple tenths faster in the 1/4, I'ts still no sports car, and that's what matters to me. I need a blend of both quickness, and handling, and the Forester is too sad of a handler for me to consider it a threat. As far as suv's go though, I'm just glad a Subaru can hand an X% it's a** any day!(at least until it has to turn)

Why does everyone consider it an SUV? I really don't think it is. Just eyeballing it, it's the same size as a Volvo XC. I think it's a medium sized station wagon - might look like an SUV next to our Rex's, but hell, sometimes Corollas look huge next to my microwagon.

I think the XT is kickass. Don't know how well they're selling around the DC area. Ive seen one on the road EVER in Bethesda, MD, and the dealerships are pushing them in the Post. I might try to test one tomorrow at Stohlman when I drop off my car for service.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wrote a review on an XT in the Subaru Enthusiast section. It feels slower than a WRX in some ways, but more torque and less laggy. It doesn't have the "punch" that a WRX has when the turbo gets going at ~4,500rpm.

Also, I guess you could put STi tranny and engine mounts on the thing? The driveline feeling seemed kind of sloppy and loose to me compared to the Rex.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Forgetting for a second about the STi engine bits in it, you do realize most suspenstion bits bolt up as well correct? Already an XT running around with STi springs on it... Should be 9.9/10 in the handling department versus a WRX once the suspension components are equal. Isn't that much heavier or taller. Of course if you don't want to modify and want okay handling, WRX is the way to go...

I'll take the low-end grunt and .5 greater displacement anyday though. Little tougher to modify that, tehe.

-B

HJC

Re: the XT is not as fast as C&D say it is....

Originally posted by artist71
    It does have some zip but it's not a 0-60 in 5.3 vehicle. I would say more like 6.3.
    Look at the C/D street start numbers for a more real world time. This was 6.5sec to 60 if I remember correctly, which is almost exactly what you predicted. : )

Originally posted by dsel
    Why does everyone consider it an SUV? I really don't think it is.
    Because it is an SUV it competes with other small SUVs such as Rav-4 and CRV.
    According to the crash testers (can't remember the acronym) is is an SUV as well.

Originally posted by PKer
    Because it is an SUV it competes with other small SUVs such as Rav-4 and CRV.
    According to the crash testers (can't remember the acronym) is is an SUV as well.
    Good category for them to be in. Basically, Subaru gets to put a station wagon against flimsy entry level SUVs and takes the prize as the safest small SUV.

Clever Fuji Heavies.

I'm gonna say it again - the forester is not an SUV.

EDIT: And I'm not really going to back that up with anything.
    Last edited by dsel; 12-04-2003 at 05:15 PM.

The Subaru Forester is considered a medium passenger car by NHTSA. That enough proof?

2003 Subaru Forester 4-DR.4x4 Wagon
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2533.html

In the listing of medium cars, NOT SUVs... here it is in the list:

2003 Saab 9-3
    2003 Subaru Forester 4-DR.4x4 Wagon
    2003 Subaru Legacy 4-DR. Wagon

In addition, CR-V and RAV4 are considered SUVs...

-B

I think the reason why the XT feels slower than the WRX may have to do with the whole turbo lag issue.. Since the XT has a bigger engine, it's power feels very progressive, while in the wrx, the is a feeling of.. nothin...nothin.... nothin.... nothin.. then all hell breaks loose (figuratively speaking) as the turbo wakes up and delivers....

I think it is all psychological..
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Originally posted by jigga
    I think the reason why the XT feels slower than the WRX may have to do with the whole turbo lag issue.. Since the XT has a bigger engine, it's power feels very progressive, while in the wrx, the is a feeling of.. nothin...nothin.... nothin.... nothin.. then all hell breaks loose (figuratively speaking) as the turbo wakes up and delivers....

I think it is all psychological..
    I totally agree with you, kinda like how my car "felt" faster with exhaust and boost controller than it does on a a tuned txs stg2, due to the progressive power. I checked out an Xt at the dealer today, I am jealous the whole vehicle seems more solid and better built, I didn't test drive it, but the interior is way way nicer than my wrx and way more room. I think I may trade in. I liked the extra height and shifter/seat position felt great, just like my wagon.

Originally posted by scoob
    Who cares if a Forester is a couple tenths faster in the 1/4, I'ts still no sports car, and that's what matters to me.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the wrx is no sports car either.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the marketing strategy with the Forrester? I am confused as to why they'd make their mini-SUV faster and "easier" to modify than their "sports" car, the WRX.

It would be akin to Honda having an Odessey that could outrun the RSX-S. Maybe that's a bad example, but I'm just wondering why Subaru is making the Forrester faster than their flag ship car (WRX).

Or is there future plans to bump up the power in the WRX? Just wondering..
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Originally posted by TurnWRX
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the wrx is no sports car either.

uM YEA, lick my balls
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails air.jpg  
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.