Supra Encounter!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Supra Encounter! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well Matt on IClub suggested that I come to the weekly, casual get together at MSP to talk about cars ...

Supra Encounter!

Well Matt on IClub suggested that I come to the weekly, casual get together at MSP to talk about cars w/ a bunch of other enthusiasts ranging from r*ce boys to real cars. Well I met a group of 3 guys whom came together in one Supra ... it was one of those models right before they discontinued them. The 3 guys were pretty cool and we chatted for a while. They asked about my REX & my mods and I did they same for the Supra. I asked Tosif ( Supra owner ) if he'd ever raced a WRX and he said no so I asked if he wouldn't mind going w/ me ... Tosif said sure. The Supra was the twin turbo model however was stock w/ no mods.
    We left MSP and headed to the 120 Loop ( as usual ). Well Keith and some other guys followed to see the race. Basically we agreed to have 1 extra passenger in each car to make it fair and I let the Supra driver call the "go" w/ the 3 horn honk. Chris, one of the 3 guys, actually drove Tosif's Supra ... I'm assuming Chris knew how to launch the car better. Well we pull onto 120 w/ NO cars in sight and I wait for Chris to honk.
    I pulled into the left lane and the Supra in the right lane. 1, 2 ( I rev to 5K), 3 ... I slip the clutch and it doesn't catch right away for the first second however then suddenly grabbed. WRX launches as usual ... I'd make us proud. I saw the Supra disappear from my right side as I redlined 1st gear. I looked back when I was in middle of 2nd gear and the Supra was like 5+ cars, literally, behind me. :devil: I redlined 2nd and switch into 3rd and shut down at 70mph in a 55mph zone . We went to the next light and turned around. This time we did a 20mph rolling start w/ the passengers of each car, on their cell phones, calling the 1, 2, 3, to start. Well as soon as I hear 3, I floored it in 1st gear at 5K and waited about 1 second for the turbo to spool up. At first I was 1/2 a car ahead but once I spooled up in 1st I started walking, literally, away. I redlined 2nd gear and the Supra is now 2+ cars behind. I shut down in 3rd gear as usual and pull over to the side.
    We all went back to MSP afterwards around 11pm and talked about what happened. Tosif was like ... "Damn you just TOOK off. I even asked Chris if he was on the gas!" Chris stated ... "Ahhh you just WALKED away! You guys have that AWD action and that's something we can't touch." I was very pleased w/ the performance of my WRX. I finally got to race a real car. Keith saw all of the action in person ( I want video ) and also raced the Supra on the way back from the 120 Loop back to MSP but I'll let him tell the story. All the power w/ NO traction doesn't help you in a light to light race.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Alright, here's my view of the story.

We were all parked on the side of 120 and I was in front of the cars watching the Supra and Richard line up. No one is around except us, the area we are at has absolutely NO traffic at night. Well, I heard honks 1,2 and tires burning as the cars took off.

I watched them in my rear view mirror coming closer and closer. Richard was at least 3 car lengths in front of the Supra when he passed me (150 yards or so ahead) and that Tanabe Exhaust was ROARING!

As they passed me I took off and followed them up and turned around. They did the start from 20mph I saw Richard once again walk away from that Supra like it was a normal car. We pull over to the side and get out and talk about the race.

Aftwards Tosif said he had never been in a WRX so I offered to take him for a ride. We get into the car and his friend takes off driving Tosif's Supra. I let the Supra go ahead to show Tosif first hand a 5k launch. We do the launch, he's freaking out with the big grin on the face everyone gets when they feel this car go.

Tosif and I catch up to his Supra and make a right turn, the Supra gets on it as we're climbing a 5-7 degree hill and so I drop to second and pull up it as well catching up and passing the Supra without a problem. Tosif still has the grin.. watching his own car get shown up at every turn.

This has been an great night and the guys we met are really cool. Thanks for inviting us Matt, it was excellent. Oh yeah and we got to see an NSX Dyno too! It was 240HP at the wheels, not bad for a race car I guess...I think I can take him.
    Last edited by The Enemy; 04-04-2002 at 10:50 PM.
    JDM STi Uppipe
    Kartboy Short Shifter
    Lead Foot

Favorite Passenger Comment: I feel like we're about to go lightspeed!

Oh nice!

ATL people represent.

We WRX ATL people should get together.

I'm planning on going to the autocross at Turner field on 4/14

Let me know what's up, I'm new to atlanta

Do you guys ever visit www.importatlanta.com ?
    First time booster

Yo

You should have came over last Saturday night when a bunch of guys came over to my place.
    2004 STI White/Gold

e-mail me pd5586@hotmail.com and let me know next time.

Thanks
    Patrick
    First time booster

Thumbs up

Hehe, Supras got nothing on the WRX! Great job!
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

God
    Ask your friend if he wants to sell his Supra. Sorry, but a WRX is nothing compared to a Supra. 2JZ power is ungodly and I just LOVE the way they look even now (8 years after they were released). It's EASY to make 800+ HP on those.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

God,

Yep, and there will be stories soon enough about RSX walking all over WRXs or even Echos! Because if we can mess with Supras right now, we are not stock. When we are stock a lot of "lower" cars can mess with us. It's the story of the "import scale in the jungle" or something like that... that Supra had mods I'm sure but has more potential eventually if the Supra owners have money and know what they are doing. What I'm trying to say is that go against a well modded(700hp and above) Supra or Skyline and start crying even with a 350hp WRX. I know a bunch of people(Ford, Honda, Mitsubishi, etc owners) who are already racing stock WRXs and beat them and talk **** afterwards. They are not messing with the right people...

Regardless, GREAT KILL!!!!
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

Hehe, Supras got nothing on the WRX! Great job

stock for stock, mod for mod, a supra is a FAR superior car.

great kill nonetheless. i'm surprised the launch was so weak with the TT, but AWD rocks.

<click click>

dR
    Last edited by dark_rex; 04-05-2002 at 12:48 PM.

I'm pretty sure the stock Supra TT runs 13.5 in the 1/4 mile
    First time booster

Supra is nothing to joke about. I think a regular boost controller on a TT supra can outrun the WRX with far more mods. Not to mention they are killer on top ends.
    If this race was to 100+, the supra will walk away from the wrx bad.
    I don't even know how you guys keep launching at 5k rpm without breaking the transmission. I don't even race at all and I am having problems with my 5pd manual.

I don't even know how you guys keep launching at 5k rpm without breaking the transmission.

Just give the WRX owners some time...
    Either people will start reporting right and left that they have tons of problems, clutch on top of that list in my opinion or they will not comment on it at all and spend the money to get their car fixed. Or Subarus are tanks and nothing will ever break them. Yeah right.

I race sometimes. I never really pratice my launch. I figure practice is like putting more useless stress on the tranny and the clutch. That bad smell is awful and scary when the clutch is slipping too much. And the tranny, well, I just pray nothing will ever happen to it. So far, I've beenn doing good. I usually let it bog down anyway if I mess up my start. But again, nobody wants to race me around here. And when they do, I don't know about it. And here goes a flyby!
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

Yo

I don't launch at 5K anymore since I'd just spin all 4 tires. I need to launch above 4K and below 5K for the best results. If I drop below 4K I bog . I think it either the added hp & torque, or RE950( 45K tires but mine are almost gone at 15K ), or maybe even a combination of both?
    2004 STI White/Gold

Chu ever consider removing the roof tray before racing your bro's s2000, just my 2 cents
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Haha...

Why would I do something like that ... it's more fun to see someone's reaction when they just got beat by a 4 door car w/ a roof rack carrying a bike.
    2004 STI White/Gold

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.