Played with a golf 1.8t - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Played with a golf 1.8t within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Tan, you and I are both VW enthusiasts and I know the potential of the 1.8T engine and in fact, ...

Tan, you and I are both VW enthusiasts and I know the potential of the 1.8T engine and in fact, I know the whole GTI 1.8T in and out since I have tuned them for a few years. But this is turning point in my car life as I am seriously considering the WRX...I've played with VW/Audi so long that I think it would be worth while to try a different brand..what do you think? The thing that attracts me most to the WRX is the all wheel drive and strong turbo engine. Sure I can get the new GTI 337 for around the same price but I dunno...still deciding. I could also get a 1.8T Quattro A4 but it'll cost too much...so from one fellow dubber to another, what to do? I really want to stick with the brand but I can't sit back and watch with envy just cuz the brand I am loyal to doesn't produce a purposed built rally car for only 24K...
    Impreza WRX STi owner to be

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    All I can tell you is to test drive a WRX for an extended period.

Going with the WRX, I personally dislike the shifer (even though it's a solid linkage).

There's some questions you'll have to ask yourself, such as can I live without heated mirrors or heated seats? Do I mind this interior noise or not? Can I sacriface a sunroof?

In stock form, the GTI is slower, and softer, but much more refined (If Diesel No. 1 was available, I'd get the GTI 150 hp PD TDI in an instant).

Another thing to consider is how much do I have to spend to make it as capable as a WRX in acceleration & handling, and do I really want to give up the BROAD powerband of the 1.8T (174 lb-ft from 1900 to 5000 rpm), so how much more do I need to rev it to get peak torque with a larger turbo?

A lot of stuff to consider depending on your priorities and tastes.

tan
    (converted_vw on vortex)

I wasnt bad mouthing the GTI b/c I do like the car but that engine could be so much more from the factory...I can see your point though no one would buy the VR6 anymore

I came across the chip during my research thats pretty impressive!
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/gregfarz78

Like free MP3's? Join my club, mention clubwrx.net
    Audiophilez

uh...he lives in sunny so cal so i don't think heated seats and mirrors are an issue (though the rex comes with heated seats).
    Don't flame. Be nice

tan
    It does come with heated seats? Jim's been holding out on me then. I though only the certain Legacy models had them optional (or standard).

I fairly certain that you can get a winter package for the Impreza, but only in Canada or other cold, snowy regions. I sure as hell don't need it.

-Jim

Heated seats are only not an option in the US.

I live in one of those cold places that does not offer "winter package"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12